1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sound Proof field guns??????????????????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by zerafa, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zerafa

zerafa TS Member

I've seen a barrel to be added to the existing gun barrel,(Extra lenght of barrel)its called Metro Barrel Extension from Hastings at Cabelas to reduce the shotgun report by about 50%, did you ever find anything similar or better then this?? the problem is that its to long!!!Its 32" by itself, imagine going aroud with it!!!
    I am after whatever reduces the shotgun report.

2. zerafa

zerafa TS Member

Dont know why that lenght, I was talking about field guns, semiautos, and what I was talking about is not that the shooter wont hear it much, but that nobody around would hear you shooting! Very hard to say sound proof but the least sound you can make!

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Metro Barrels are simply barrel extensions that are so long that the gas pressure has reduced enough altering the report fom a bang to a loud pop. Somehow BATF considers them to be a barrel extension, not a suppressor, which is defined as "any device that reduced the report of a firearm by any measurable amount". Apparently "any device" has been changed to mean that devices without internal baffles or pressure venting are not considered suppressors.<br>
    <br>
    Be that as it may, suppressors were indeed made for shotguns, and were in use for trap shooting 100 years ago. There are old Maxim ads showing trapshooters, including a woman, using such a device.<br>
    <br>
    It's ironic that suppressors are highly restricted, when they should be encouraged to reduce noise pollution. In fact, I recall reading an article about backyard .22 shooting in France, and that suppressors were considered to be the sign of a courteous shooter.<br>
    <br>
    A friend has a supressor for his .223's he uses for coyote hunting. They do not eliminate the report, but reduce it to the level of a .22LR. It has the side benefit of confusing coyotes, who often will stop and not run, trying to figure out which direction the report came from.<br>
    <br>
    Suppressors can also change the POI, especially on a rifle, due to weight on the barrel. My friend's Rem 788 changed POI by several inches, but fortunately at 100 yards it happened to coincide with the top of the bottom thick duplex in his scope. A heavier (or shorter) barrel will deflect less.<br>
    <br>

4. zerafa

zerafa TS Member

By what percentage is that .22LR????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.