1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sorting shot from powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by twotimer, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twotimer

twotimer Member

I don't know if anyone else has ever forgot to put a wad in when reloading. Who has the best trick for sorting the powder from the shot? Thanks, Mike

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mike, I have never done this before in my life ever. LOL Just use a nice metal colander from the Kitchen. Don't let the wife see you use her good one. LOL. Depending on how fine it is, it will even work on #9's on up. Good to go. Break-em all. Jeff

3. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

place the mess on a baking sheet elevate 1 end and tap shot will roll to the lower end leaving powder behind

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mike- Separating the shot and powder from one shell is not worth the effort. But, if you must, Sprinklerman did provide a way to do it.

Pat Ireland

5. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

the same way i use to separate the seeds in a new bag of reefer !

6. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

Drop a match........

7. twotimer

twotimer Member

Sprinklerman, I do something similar now, I Like Jeffs' colandar idea. Can't believe I didn't think of that. Probably did, but the thought of getting caught made me forget quickly. I bet I could find a cheap one at a $1 store. Thanks, Mike

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

(Deleted)

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Neil, saltpeter in smokeless powder??????

This is all you need. 1 or 2 dollars.

Wayne

[​IMG]

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Here's what i use. A few bucks from Wal Mart. Shake it over a pan and it sorts for you. Then i load all the shot in my mixed shot loads for practice.

Matt
    [​IMG]

11. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

I seperate mine just using a rounded tupperware container like I am panning from gold!

12. Southpaw Sam

Southpaw Sam Member

Easiest way for me has been-- dump mix in a flat pan and use a shop vac or any vac. Don't hold nozzle closer than an inch or two. Move shot back & forth. Very soon all the powder is gone. Lon

13. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Two TS.com reloading problems – one solution (June 2005)

I have solved two of the reloading problems that have been posted here in the past with one simple solution.

First, the problems: (1) on those ‘rare’ but inevitable times when you forget to put a wad in the hull and mix the shot and the powder, how do you separate the two EASILY? And (2), what is the best (read: PRACTICAL) use for empty primer trays?

The common solution is to use two empty primer trays to separate the powder and the shot! (Note – this solution has been tested only with Red Dot powder, STS primer trays, and 7½ shot).

Here’s how you do it (stay with me!): Presuming you have a (primed) hull containing powder and shot but not a wad, carefully pour the powder/shot mixture into the middle of a level, horizontal primer tray and then push it around so that there is no shot above the top of the tray (i.e., all the shot is in the primer cups – the powder doesn’t matter). Next, place the second primer tray over the first primer tray so that the primer tray cups face each other, and, making sure that the outside edges of the two primer trays are ALWAYS TOGETHER EVENLY, change their orientation from horizontal to vertical and gently shake the two (still always together evenly) primer trays forth and back and left and right, say for at about thirty seconds. Orient to horizontal again and take off the top tray, and the powder will be all in what was the bottom vertical row(s) of primer cups of the now bottom horizontal primer tray. All you need then do is to is to pour off the powder (but not the shot) by placing the top primer tray back onto the bottom (horizontal) primer tray, but leave exposed those rows of primer tray rows that contain powder (only two edges will be even in this step). Then invert the (together) primer trays and pour off the powder into a cup or whatever. You may need to repeat this process to separate all the powder and shot. (When I did this, the few remaining grains of Red Dot I just blew away). You will be left with nothing but shot in the bottom primer tray.

LA in MA

14. grntitan

Porcupine--After reading yours, scratch scratch..........i get it. Its just it sounds more like a challenge game rather than a practical and time efficient way to sort and save both the shot and powder. Whatever works though.

Matt

15. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

(Deleted)

16. grntitan

17. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Sink strainer at WAL MART,(looks like a small colander)3in cap for black plastic pipe.(the white ones are not flat on the end)Sits on the shelf most of the time but it works great and doesn't take up much room..............GOOD LUCK

18. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

I did, Marion Military Institute. Why?

Doc

19. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

Salt shaker from Dollar store. Large, clear plastic type. Dump the mix in. Shake the powder out. Shot stays in.

Aside from the comment re saltpeter, what does a Military prep school have to do with this problem, Neil?

C.M.A. '58

20. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Pour the shot and powder mixture on an old terry cloth towel and roll the shot to one side by brushing your hand over it. Push the shot to the edge and into a can and pour the powder in another. Easy as pie and fast. Bernie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.