1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sorting and Melting Lead

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Auctioneer, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Pic one is of the burner and where I pour the lead in the muffin tins.

Pic two is the melting pot that I use.

Pic three is the cast iron muffin tins.

Pic four is the ingots that I have already made.

Pic five is some of the lead that I'm melting.

Pic six is my sorting table. One can for trash, second is for metal and zinc and the third is for the lead.

Pic seven and eight is the 55 gal barrel that has the lead that needs to be sorted.

Pic nine is the 5 gal buckets that are ready to be melted.

The last pic's are the other two 55 gal drums of wheel weights that will be sorted in time.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Well your off to a great startbut if those are recent pictures you have no snow! You just gotta climb that tower and try it now. I got mine 2 weeks ago here in S.W. NY, its been in the 20s and I have tried 3 times and had a decent 2 out of 3 adventures 2 hours at a time.

Give it a try you know you wanna. You may find you dont need that drop after all. Or you may have the rest of us building towers too.

Have fun give it a whirl most happens get a lil cold get a good result or not.

Jerry Lewis

3. Auctioneer

No snow right now. We are suppose to get something here late Mon. As for the tower I can't do anything right now because I have to buy 300 feet of power line to go to the tower. The temp from now will be a high of 35 again. Hope to get things going next month.

4. Kenny Helderlein

Kenny Helderlein Member

Hi,
    Great pic's, Years age two friends and I collected 1000 lbs of lead and did the same. Out in the middle of a farmers field with a twenty pound melting pot
    making two Lb ingets. We purchased a Littleton shot maker and set up in my garage and made 7 1/2 and 8's. We kept close account of our spending and it came to $38.00 per hundred weight. It was a fun project.
    Good luck, Kenny

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Auctioneer:

Your cast iron melting pot and muffin tins clearly are NOT properly seasoned.
    Have you been washing them with soap or frying bacon between batches of lead??

sissy : )

6. Auctioneer

What I have been doing is taking steel wool and putting it on a drill and scrubbing the insides when needed. I take steel screen and scrub the inside of the pot per melting. That keeps the slag down in both.

7. shootintom

shootintom TS Member

I've got 2 questions:

1. Where did you get the muffin tray

2. How much do your ingots weigh

Thanks.

Tom

8. Auctioneer

I get the muffin cast iron tins in yard sales, estate sales, antique malls, flee markets. Look for the dirtiest flee and antique mall you can find. Why? They will have the rusted tins that you can chisel them down the price. I payed about $10 each for the ones I have.

I will have to get back to you on how much they weigh.

9. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Here's another tip, you may be doing this, I can't tell, anyhow... get a nasty big magnet and use it to snatch the metal clips out, much faster than the little rake you have.

10. Auctioneer

I have a magnet to test some for steel. I also have a pair of wire cutters to clip the ones that I question if they are steel or Zinc. The wire cutters will cut into lead with ease but zinc and stell it will not.

Here is a pic of the ingots that I'm making. The smaller one is 2 pounds and the larger one is 2.6 pounds. After looking at the ingots I now see that I have two diff sizes of muffin tins. OH well.

What I do is to prep them for the shotmaker I will put them in a pan and pre heat them. I have found that it works great to not slow down the shotmaker.
    [​IMG]

11. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I meant use the magnet to pull the clips out of the molten lead. Didn't make that very clear, sorry.

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Don't throw away the zinc weights. I throw them in another pile and use them to make fishing sinkers. Jackie B.

13. Auctioneer

I was thinking of using the zinc in some way or another.

14. Auctioneer

Here are some pic's of the zinc weights. Some are flat and some are the bars. The last pic is of lead weights. You can see on some of the zinc weight a mark from the wire cutter. If they are zinc you will not be able to cut through them. If they are lead you can cut them. Not all are marked ZN.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. shootintom

shootintom TS Member

With the melting point of zinc at around 785 degrees and lead at 621 if you monitor the temp of your pot you shouldn't have a problem melting the zinc. My plumbers pot only gets to about 695 so I don't have trouble with the zinc weights. What I have had trouble with is babbitt gtting into the mix and that's a whole other problem to deal with.

Tom

16. Auctioneer

When I have a dipper plug up I have found that a propane torch works great to clear it. I hope to have reduced such problems after getting MOST of the zinc out of the mix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.