1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sorry! but I won't be coming back

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hoggy, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

to shoot at Evergreen "until" they wake up and buy decent birds. The crappy dome painted things they throw are the worst targets I've seen. Now come on guys/gals be truthful. How do you all feel about it? Especially from those of you that shot there this weekend. I tried to support the shoot but ever time I've shot at Evergreen my scores go down. This is not a troll. This is how I feel and want those that run Evergreen to change to the same clays everyone else in the state throws.

2. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Why tell us? Tell them.

3. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I know they read here. If enough of those that were there say something here maybe they will change them. It wasn't the color (but if you want to know it was orange). They were 1/2 painted or just the domes are painted. Maybe the young people with young eyes can see them well but I had trouble and by most peoples score they did to.

4. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

Having shot the Grand Pacific at Evergreen every time it has been there in the last 10 years except the last one and having been on the target setting committee most of those times, I can say that it does no good to throw a domed target against those trees. The black will not show up against the dark green. It is all about contrast. Even the green target would work. The black rim only comes into play if you are setting the targets so they will clear the tree tops. We made every effort to keep them below that point. The only bank that did not work as well was where they clear cut that section of trees just to the right of the clubhouse.

Again, a black rim does no good against the dark green trees. It just makes the target look like an aspirin tablet!!! I once heard that the domed targets were a bit cheaper than the solid color ones. Also, my memory is a bit fuzzy, but if I recall correctly, they may throw Caldwell targets and they may not produce a solid orange target. Again, not sure about that last part. By the way, I love shooting Caldwell targets. As they break great, but as I like to say 'You can't hit, what you can't see!!!"

Gene

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am surprised that more shooters do not recognize that black rim targets are designed to be thrown against a sky background and solid colored targets are designed to be thrown against solid backgrounds.

Pat Ireland

6. REM1148

REM1148 TS Member

190 years?

7. oz

oz Active Member

maybe they could set them on fire just before they throw them, would that help your scores. don't let the door bang you in the ass. oz

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Winner probably got a yard punch for an 87.

9. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Well the black rimmed targets were against a tree background and when I shot the sun was out. And as for you Oz. the high score on Friday was an 89 for 12 squads so this is NOT just about MY scores. I don't know what the high score yesterday was because I left but the scores I know about were still lower than usual. I also was NOT trying to accomplish any thing with this thread, but to get the people at Evergreen to reassess the birds they buy and use. PERIOD. They used these birds last year and I hated them than so if they continue to use them I'll make sure the "door does NOT bang me in the ass as I leave".

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I shot the Grand Pacific in 2007 for my first ever PITA shoot and I thought the targets were fine. Last year our local clubs in Alberta had a period when we could not get delivery of White Flyers and had to take Caldwells instead. Let me tell you the Caldwells absolutely did not work in automatic traps whether Pat Traps or GMV Superstars, the target breakage out of the trap was horrendous.

11. mono1393

mono1393 Member

Caldwell has improved their targets so there is less breakage. We don't get but about 1-2% out of our Canterbury trap now and the Canterbury is hard on targets.

If Evergreen wants to throw a dome target, they should buy the White Flyer that is called the "New York" style or 3/4 dome target. It has only 1 black rim and a lot more paint on the target. It would work better at Evergreen because they have 2 different backgrounds. On the north end of the trap line they have all evergreen tree background and on the south end of the line they have a tree line and the targets is broken just as it goes into the shy background.

Chris Morris

12. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

This game is one of 6 inches....the distance between your ears.

I find generally, trap shooters don't like anything other than what they are used to, and when something is a bit different, it throws them off big time.

The target described sounds like a new york bird....a black rim and an orange dome. Personally, I like them because it defines the dome much better. Some don't like them, others do.

13. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Caldwell can make a target any color the buyer chooses. Bob Caldwell is dedicated to trapshooting and for years made the best "smoking" target available. The smoking ability may have been a reason the targets did poorly in PAT Traps but the new formula works as well as any other brand - feeds smoothly and doesn't break on the machine.

Evergreen Sportsmen's Club and the Pacific Northwest is lucky to have Caldwell Industries in the area. As an independent producer Bob deserves our support.

14. crew

crew TS Member

I was at Evergreen Saturday and sunday I talked to you hoggy in the lunch room sunday. It was really hard to see the targets I think it would be better if they went to a solid color probably solid orange. When they had the green targets many shooters aren't use to green that come for the Grand Pacific seems like that was a problem also. Iam a long yardage shooter and 84's where high on saturday with some pretty low scores by good shooters. I was on the last squad sunday and when I checked there was a 90 from the long yardage that was high I think for overall but they didn't have everything posted but it seemed that was probably the best score. I shot an 83 and that wasn't far down in long yardage its hard to see target there this time of the year no matter what color they use. Wayne

15. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I remember talking with you Wayne. Thanks for chiming in. I shot a 76 which is a all time low caps score for me. Heck that's lower than any score I ever remember shooting. I almost wanted to throw my K80 at the birds. To think I won 5 magnums the end of last year added insult to injury. I know we have bad days sometimes but when every one does there's something wrong that needs to be fixed. I really wish Evergreen well. I love this sport as much as anyone else and want to see it grow not shrink. I also heard but don't know if it's true or not that they have already ordered the same birds for the State and Grand this year. Hope they decide to change the order and get solid birds before than.

16. I WON

I WON TS Member

Is this "WHY" different "COLOR" targets are available ? Pat and EE are right on.

Old habits are hard to break or Can't teach an old dog new tricks.......

17. woodski

woodski Member

Hi guys. Bob Woods new Evergreen Cup President here. Wow, those were a variety of responses, but thanks for them ALL. Those targets were the ones supposed to be thrown by PITA in the State and Grand shoots so we tried them and most didn't like them. So... the next load that we shot his weekend 3/29-30/08 was the least black showing (still crappy weather)that Caldwell makes and they were better but I think for wintertime the full orange will be our choice from now on? (it's a board decission). We do have a varied background of trees and skyline so it's hard to please everyone and I know we won't be able to so I just wanted you ALL to know we are sure trying to make it the best target we can. The other thing about speed and distance is we set them w/radar gun and just short of stakes AND we are VERY fortunate to have Jim Gillis helping us set our traps and I would challenge anyone to do a better job(AND FOR FREE as he does for this club and others as well).WE are all doing this as volunteers and are taking time away form our families to get this once GREAT club back on track again. If you don't know whats really going on, could hold your really Negative comments I would APPRECIATE it GREATLY. That doesnt help at all!!! WE will be working there again this weekend and WILL BE until it's done. THANKS to ALL the volunteers, Bob Woods The Evergreen Gun Club Pres..

18. woodski

woodski Member

19. eagles11

eagles11 TS Member

Pat,

Because of the varying backgrounds in sporting clays we have to keep all orange, all black, and orange dome targets on hand. We use all orange for below the horizon, all black above the horizon and orange dome when a bird transitions between the two. We also found that an all orange target against a very light background, snow or light colored dirt, is not the best.

Interestingly enough the international shooters shoot all orange targets all the time for skeet and trap. We tried to show them that an orange dome was easier to see but tradition won out.

Jack

20. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

had a siliar experience at last year's pacific grand - went up there on a tear and shot like crap. my kid shot lights out so maybe it was me. but i did hear from a number of shooters from nor cal that their scores were WAY down compared to scores shot in nor cal. these are excellent shooters too, not some short yardage scrubs (with aplogies to short yardage scrubs) :)

i won't be going back either but not for the same reason - i'm not going to shoots 80 miles away so why would i go 800!!

interesting point by Jack - the background at kerrville is somewhat similar to evergreen in that the foreground is trees (scrubby oaks vs. pines) going into sky. it was a good thing we had a practice day before the match started as that really helped the shooter acclimatize to the background. trapshooters would do well to do the same thing - get their early and shoot a day ahead of the match - especially a BIG match.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.