1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

sore skin from shooting today

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mike T, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T Member

Any one have any Ideas how to stop this. Went to a shoot today, shot 16's, handicaps and doubles (300) Weather nice 63 degrees shot in a heavy long sleeve t-shirt. Now my skin on my shoulder where I place the gun stock is sore kind of like it would be from rubbing. like chapped. This happens in the summer too. Doesn't make any difference what gun I shoot. My present gun is a 682 combo with a kick eez pad and has an 8oz mercury reducer in the stock. It is just the skin not the muscle. any help?
    Thanks
    mike t

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Shirt sliding/rubbing in your skin perhaps? Does this problem happen with other clothing? Could also be the butt pad slipping from not being in the right place.

Eric

3. canada

canada Member

Baby powder, or another t-shirt underneath, also a band-aid would work too, but it may be irritating.

4. Robb

Robb Member

wear a tight t shirt.

5. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Try this type of smooth pad. I find the ribbed ones irritate my shoulder too. Bill Malcolm

6. RBur

RBur TS Member

Mike T, I would guess you are twisting the gun during your mount, which is twisting your shirt against your skin. It is the last thing you do before calling for the bird.

Ron Burdick

7. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I had the same problem with my Kickeze pads. Changed them to Trap dude...no more problem.

JON

8. mike T

mike T Member

Ron,
    You may have it. I do twist my gun on my mount. I do that to make sure every thing is level and straight. I do have a Kick-eez pad and it is a ribbed one. Like I said it does not make any difference if I am hot and sweaty or like to day just cool. After thinking about the twist thing. When I dis-mount my gun I do sometimes hav it caught in my shirt.

Thanks to all I will try some of the suggestions. Also try not tow twist on mounting my gun.

thanks
    mike t

9. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Don't wear cotton...even the slightest amount of perspiration will turn it into sandpaper. Buy some of the newer moisture wicking polyester t-shirts; "Dri-Tech" brand comes to mind. Silky soft interior, no seams in the shoulder area to concentrate irritation...very comfortable year round.

Mike

10. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Mike,

Your gun mount is flawed. The gun should come to your shoulder exactly the same way in exactly the same place each time it is mounted. No wiggle should be necessary to get it in place.

Chances are the problem is caused by one or more poorly fitting stock dimensions. They are probably causing the chafing on your shoulder, as well.

Rollin

11. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Mike , I generally shoot with a mesh vest with a cloth shoulder patch. A couple of years ago ,"at the Grand", I decided I would stay cooler without the vest and shot in just a t shirt, the little bit of moisture made for no slipage at all and pretty soon I had a raw area that made shooting really miserable and 7 more days of shooting. Wearing two shirts may do the trick but I'm just going to stay with the mesh vest from now on. Of course make sure you have a proper fitting gun. Glenn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

chafing shoulder from shooting