1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sore Shoulder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

This past Saturday I shot both a 200 target Singles event, and a 100 target cap event. Buy the time I got to the last box in the 200 singles, I could feel some mild soreness in my shoulder. The next day I shot 50 targets in our local league and was still sore. While the pain is not severe, it is there.

I was wondering how many of you get sore after shooting 200-300 targets in one day (those without recoil systems). I shoot a 32" 3200 Competition with factory recoil pad, 1 1/8oz, 7 1/2 Estates. I'll also mention that I shot my average (low 90's), so the soreness didn't seem to affect my scores.

Thanks,

Guy

2. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Guy,

Please be more specific. What part of your shoulder is sore?

Rollin

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Sorry Rollin--It is right where the butt contacts my pocket. It is not a strain, but more of a bruise like pain although no bruise marks (yet). Hopefully this helps, I'm at a loss to further characterize it.

I'm fairly tall and thin (6'4", 200 lbs) so maybe I don't have the same ammount cushioninng there that many do. I use a Corbin vest that has one of those quilted pads on it.

I've shot about 1500 targets with the gun total. I'm always (at least almost) very careful to get the right mount and preasure against the shoulder, and my head on the wood.

It didn't hurt so bad that I dreaded the next shot, but the sensation did register in my pea brain when I mounted.

Is it typical to get a little sore after shooting a bunch, or systemic of something incidious that could cause problems down the road?

Guy

4. famill00

famill00 TS Member

The pad might need to be canted a little to better fit your pocket.

Forrest

5. smp005

smp005 Member

I'll bet Gunfit or recoil pad... I've got juniors shooting 300 - 500 rounds in a day with BT-99s or similar guns with any pain or bruises as long as the gun is fitted well. I just shot 300 in two days this past weekend myself and felt nothing (other than defeat...:)

I changed my pad to a Kick-EZ awhile back simply because my factory SKB pad seemed to poke or cut into my shoulder just a little bit. With the new pad I don't even get any tiny red marks shooting in an under armor t-shirt. No recoil system but the gun is factory back bored...

6. dfm

dfm Member

Buy some Estate 1oz. loads @ 1180fps and use them for everything. You'll be amazed at how well they work from any yardage or for any event. And how little your shoulder will feel throughout a 300-400 round day regardless of the gun used.

BTW, never use a kid's judgment for recoil info. Most are so happy to be shooting they'd blast away with a 10 guage and say they didn't mind the kick at all!

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I sure like my Kick-eez Modified Trap Pad, it is 1 1/8 inch thick. I sometimes had a bruise on my shoulder when I wore a sloppy fitting Tee shirt that would get a fold crease right on the shoulder pocket.

8. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Guy,

The first thing I would suggest is that a Browning Reactor pad be sewn into your shooting vest. They are the best vest pads I have seen and sell for about $20.00.

From there, things begin to get complicated. A butt or stock adjuster to allow rotation of the pad to provide cast at the toe might help. This is especially true if your stock lacks the pitch necessary to allow th pad to make simultaneous contact, top to bottom, when you mount the gun.

It is also possible that your stance is too similar to that of a rifle shooter - to oblique, with your shoulders too much in-line with the mounted gun. This can injure the inside of the shoulder joint even when the gun is in the shoulder pocket.

You might be shooting without a vest - ?

Your recoil pad might be hard as implied above or have square edges, which can be painful during recoil as they provide to little surface over which to spread recoil energy.

You might be mounting your gun with the heel below the top of your shoulder, which would not allow your collar bone to be involved in your shoulder's rearward movement as a result of recoil. Collar bones are great things. Not only do they keep our arms apart to increase their effectiveness when gripping laundry baskets and beach balls, they provide a firm surface on which to plant gun butts. This is painless with the protection offered by a good in-vest pad.

Rollin

9. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Thanks Rollin, and the other responders as well.

I'll look into the Reactor vest pad. The factory recoil pad on my gun does have sharp edges and is rather firm. We put a kick EZ on my wife's BT, which is much more pliable and rounded--I think I'll try one of those too. I may also get some 1oz loads to try the next time I order ammo as I'm a 20yd shooter.

My 3200 doesn't feel like it kicks hard, in fact it seems soft compared to the 870TB I was shooting. After all it does weigh 9+lbs and I use the bottom barrel exclusively.

I kind of feel like a wuss.... Better that tho than loose targets doing the macho man thing!

Thanks again,

Guy

10. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Don't wear cotton clothing when you shoot long programs...when cotton gets any amount of moisture in it it begins to act like low-speed sand paper and will make the shoulder pocket tender. Find some polypro or other new generation 1st layer, moisture wicking clothing with a smooth inner finish and no seams in the shoulder pocket area.

Mike

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Test shoot some lighter loads and see how you like them. And, read Rollin's above post three times.

Pat Ireland

12. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

It's not a matter of being a wuss, Guy, it's simple physics. Daro Handy, who's a big bear of a guy, shot with Rem 1100 gas guns from the start, because he says when he started out he realized that recoil is cumulative, and if he was going to shoot a million rounds he'd develop a flinch with a break-open gun shooting those heavy handicap loads. Heroes develop flinches. A person has to find all the ways possible to minimize recoil, as soon as possible. To answer your initial question no, I don't get sore after 300-500 targets in one day. But I shoot a weighted gun with a RAD recoil absorber & thick KickEez pad, and light 1-oz loads. Phil E

13. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

At Rollin's suggestion I bought a Browning Reactor pad and tried it this weekend. What a difference it makes and it didn't throw off my mount because of its thinness. Twenty bucks well spent!

Guy

14. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

I HAVE SAME GUN...HAD SAME PROBLEM. I ADDED A MERCURY RECOIL REDUCER TO THE STOCK AND A MORGAN PAD WITH THE CURVED TRAP PAD. IT WAS LIKE NIGHT AND DAY.
    THE CURVED PAD FEELS MORE COMFORTABLE TO ME AND MOUNTS THE GUN MORE CONSISTANTLY.