1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sore Face

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Hopefully someone here can make some recommendations because my face is taking a beating with the new gun. I shot Thursday and Today and both time my face is taking a beating where it meets with the adjustable comb. After a round of 25 it feels like someone punched me. In addition to this I can't seem to get a comfortable mount with the adjustable. Any idea how I might be able to resolve the face slap?

2. Danny B

Danny B TS Member

PITCH !!!!

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Can you explain what pitch is in regards to shotguns and how I make the adjustment? My Citori Plus never beat my face up like this Beretta is.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Add some down pitch to the gun. Remove the top butt pad screw and place one or two washers between the pad and the stock. This usually solves the problem. HMB

5. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Could LOP being too long cause this too?

6. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

YOu need to get the adjustable comb down a bit in the front so that it moves down and away from your cheek in recoil.

7. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Spend just a few more $$$ and order "The Stock Fitters Bible" on Amazon. You'll have a good insight into what is happening to you and how to adjust your stock so the gun is comfortable to shoot. Consider the cost of the book a cheap education.

Pat

8. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

RRRrrtt. Full stop. I used to own the exact gun you have. There are probably two contributing factors:

1.) The Beretta has a 15" LOP which might be a little long for you. I thought mine was fine until I shot a 14.5" LOP and it was just a magic difference. I am a fairly big guy too at 6' 225lbs.

2.) The pitch of the pad on the Beretta tended to dig into my chest muscle and required shaping a Kick-Eezz to the right angle for my shoulder. This is the "pitch" that is referenced above. If the gun is rotating up into your face, it is because it is hitting your shoulder/chest at the toe of the stock first, then pivoting up.

You might try the "rocker" model of Kick Eezz.

Hope this helps.

-Aaron

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Forget your wasting money on books and use it to look up somebody who has both the knowledge and the equipment to fix your problem. If it was as easy as reading it in a book, there wouldn't be stock fitters around to fix the screw-ups.

Keller

10. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

I did what Aaron said on my 682GE. Trimmed the length and went with a Gooey rocker. Its now a pleasure to shoot.

11. Idahobill

Idahobill Member

I had a Caesar Guerini that did the same thing I put a padded comb on it and problem solved Bill

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I am 6ft and 220 lbs and I shoot a 14"inch LOP, w/zero pitch.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

What is the correct way to measure for LOP?

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'd do eaxctly what Unknown1(Keller) recommened. When I got my 682 the first thing I did was had Greg Hissem set it up for me. He indicated the pitch was wrong and the LOP was wayyyy to long for me. After he worked on mine, it is a dream to shoot. Call someone qualified to set it up for you.

Guns are not one size fits all.

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

DIXIE,

You got that right!!!

16. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Rich,

What you are suffering is called "cheek slap." Pitch (angle formed by the butt and the barrel or rib) can be a cause when the botton "toe" of the stock sticks out too far.

There are other causes, however. They are (in no particular order),

too much or too little cheek pressure on the comb,

not holding the gun snugly on the shoulder,

mounting the gun too low on your shouldr, which often requires the shooter to lean his neck forward to put the cheek on the comb, and

turning the head too far in the direction of the gun mount shoulder to align the eye with the rib.

Related to the above causes is raising the cheek off the comb just before shots are fired.

Rollin

17. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

You might want to try a "reverse pitch" spacer. It is thick at the bottom and narrow at the top. I had a 425 Browning that was smacking me in the face. Put that spacer in and now the gun is a pleasure to shoot.

18. rautdr

rautdr Member

I had same problem with my 682 ge after I raised the comb 1/4 in to raise my POI. After reading some advice on SGW about pitch, I tried a couple washers on the top screw in front of the recoil pad.

Much better! Ordered a positive pitch spacer from Brownell's and installed that. They are easy to work with to rasp down, sand to fit and it looks good.

Worked for me. Good luck Dan from Wis.

19. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Uknown1,
    I didn't say the book would make Rich or anyone else a stock fitter. What I did say was that it would give him an insight into the possible fixes. At $26.95 it is a cheap path to understanding what might be needed. Having a bit of knowledge will help Rich converse with and understand what a good stock fitter would want to do. I don't know anybody who is a pro in any field that popped out of a womb with the knowledge it took to be a leader in their field. All of them had education. Books are known to help in that aspect.

Pat

20. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Good information. My 682 gold E is beating me up. I am going to try to put a few washers in the top of the pad as suggested. Also, the stock Beretta pad is a 2x4. I am going to go with either a Trap dude or Kickeez.

Thanks for posting up the question Rick.

Bryan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.