1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sore Cheek

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by forest2482, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forest2482

forest2482 TS Member

I'm hoping that someone can tell me why i'm getting a sore cheek for shooting trap. I was shooting a BT-99 and now bought a BT-100. Do you think it could be that i'm left handed shooting a gun cast for a right handed shooter?

2. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

That's probably part of it...get a stock that fits and it will be better.

But probably you need some down pitch in the stock. that's my guess, for what it's worth.

jeff

3. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Yes, you are probably shooting a right hand cast gun. I have fought this for 23 yrs. If you are going to shoot the gun, get it fit by a good stock fitter. if it is toe out for a right hand shooter, sell the stock and have you a nice custom stock made. Some will say it is not worth paying all that money for a custom stock because the gun is not high end. That is not the case. Believe me, if the gun does not fit you, your scores will suffer. My success has been with Ljutic, they custom fit your stock. But sometime you can find a left hand stock for a Ljutic that fits you. I have one now. Hope this helps, Roy

4. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Don't keep shooting that gun if you cheek continues to be sore...... My XT trap cost me a tooth that way....SOLD it fast before I knew better how to fix it.

5. forest2482

forest2482 TS Member

6. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Your cheek slap has a number of possible causes. The wrong cast is no doubt part of the problem but it may not be the primary cause. I agree with Jeff, above in that inadequate pitch is probably most at fault.

That means that the bottom "toe" of the recoil pad sticks out too far. You can confirm or rule this out by watching which part of the pad first contacts your shoulder when you slowly mount your gun.

When the pitch is correct, the entire pad, top to bottom, makes simultaneous contact with the shoulder at the end of the gun mount. If the pitch is inadequate as I suspect, it can be increased by having the stock cut to the correct angle or by using a tapered spacer or two between the pad and the stock. The possible disadvantage is the slight change in stock length, something that would need to be checked.

You can experiment by using a longer top pad attachment screw and inserting washers or a shim between the stock and the pad. There is a point where the center of the recoil pad must also be supported to prevent breakage, however.

As I mentioned, something else could be causing or compounding the cheek slap you are experiencing, most often, affecting the way your cheek makes contact with the comb. The wrong cast is one of the possibilities, as are the wrong comb height, stock length and several aspects of your shooting form, gun mount, being one of them.

It seems apparent that your gun does not fit your size and shape. A good stock fitter could identify and correct the fit, possibly with the aid of someone who could bend your stock to rectify the problem with its cast. If you want to fit your gun yourself, click on the above Website address.

Rollin

7. forest2482

forest2482 TS Member

I had my wizdom teeth removed because of this

8. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

No Irf, the darn tooth fairy took it a long, long time ago. However she did leave me a DIME.....for it. Forest , it was a wisdom tooth for me too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cheek sore after shooting trap
cheek sore from trap shooting
face sore from trapshooting
how to prevent trap cheek

sore cheek from shotgun

sore cheek shotgun shooting
trap shooting sore cheek
trapshooting sore cheek