1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

sore cheek

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmc649, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmc649

jmc649 TS Member

Help please

My son (14) has been shooting his 390 for about six months without a problem. recently we added an adjustable comb and increase the height by about 1/8". Now for the first time he is getting bruised on the cheek. I lowered the comb back to the height of his stock but did not solve the problem. He and I would appreciate any suggestions

thank you Jim

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Its probably the pitch thats causing the gun to slap him. Something you added changed his relationship between his face, eye and shoulder with the gun. I would also make sure he isn't slightly lifting his head which will do it everytime.

The pitch is the angle of the butt in relation to the top of the barrel. ...

grntitan_2009_250318.jpg

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

You can test the pitch theory by putting washers between the butt pad and the wood. Do this one at a time. You can actually go too far and see the problem come back, which is not a bad thing. Then you know where you need to be. A pitch spacer of the correct thickness can then be installed. Put the washers in the top screw. Be careful to get longer screws at the local Ace so you don't strip the holes in the wood. Good luck.

Can you post a picture of your gun? With a good side view anybody can measure the pitch angle in relation to the bore. The gun above has no pitch. A little goes a long way.

4. jmc649

jmc649 TS Member

Thank you all for the information. We have figured out what went south, The gentleman that has been helping my son replaced the trap stock (monte carlo) with a field stock that had an adjustable comb installed. the field stock with an adjustable comb. with the comb fully extended it abarely equaled the heigth of the trap stock, but it dramatically changed the pitch angle. So now we are back to the drawing board.

Thanks again for everyones input

Jim

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The top of the comb should be parallel to the barrel on a trap gun. Get rid of the field stock and go back to the Monte Carlo Trap stock. HMB

6. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Jim,

The angle of the comb does not change the pitch on the stock. Pitch is the angle formed by the butt and the rib or barrel.

A Monte Carlo stock has a comb that is closer to being parallel with the gun's barrel and rib. A field stock ha a comb that rises in the frong. When the gun recoils to the rear during recoil, the forward, higher section of the comb can impact the cheek, especially if the cheek is raised off the comb slightly for any reason.

I agree that if the comb is at the right height for your son, he would be better off using the Monte Carlo stock. If the comb needs to be raised or lowered, that is a separate issue. [Contact me if you have any questions
    (920) 464-0124 or use my email address above.]

Have him mount the gun with the top of the butt or recoil pad on his collarbone. It allows most shooters to shoot with an naturally upright head and neck posture, which has several benefits.

Rollin