1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sonic Defenders?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Billster, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billster

Billster TS Member

Anybody using these things?

Bill

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I use the North-brand "Sonic II", which incorporates an automatic baffle cylinder in an orange silicone plug. Not as pretty as the "defender", but I have used this similar type of hearing protection for years with good success.

Jay

3. Billster

Billster TS Member

Been using the yellow/gray sold by Browning also under another brand name. they work but could never really get them comfortable. Maybe will just order a pair. Not expensive. Thanks, Jay.

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Features

16dB Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) with stoppers in

That is no good.

5. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

I have to agree with Jerry, 16db is not very safe has far as protection from gun fire. However they would be great in the right application where the gun fire or other form of harsh noise level is more distance but still something to be concerned about.

Most small clubs in our area have the traps set up fairly close to the club house and social areas where people are sitting socializing. This type of hearing protection would great for just wearing while at the club while others are shooting. You would be able to receive some kind of hearing protection and at the same hear a conversation. Just a thought.

Dale,

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Billster before you trust your hearing to a $10.00 ear plug you should go to the website URL I have added above just click on it and read the information about protecting your hearing and (NRR)db ratings. Take it from one who know loosing your hearing needlessly is not worth money you will save instead of making an investment in good hearing protection.

Bob Lawless

7. Billster

Billster TS Member

Thanks for responses. I think I'll pass on these then. Don't need anymore hearing damage than I've got already. Left ear is more than 50% down from all the trap my dad and I did back in the late 50's early 60's. We used cotton balls then and I'd forever throw them away as annoyance. Have a constant ringing in my ears now and thought it was medication side effect and doc says 'no'. Maybe the molded ones are the way to go now otherwise I'll be totally deprived of her yakking. heheh.

bill

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Billster -

All I'll add is that the North Sonic II and typical foamies are not comparing apples to apples when looking at NRR #s. I could not agree more that higher NRR #s are what is wanted, but the technology incorporated in the North Sonic and other similar products allow for constant noise, so that conversation can be maintained.

Sonics are excellent at lowering intermittent peak noise, which gunfire is. I have not lost a decibel of sensitivity after more than 10 years of usage and I'm 50. The Sonic IIs from North are offered in multiple diameters to accomodate various ear channel diameters.

I can't fault the custom molded plugs either - they work as good as they look.
    Just another couple comments for you to chew on,

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.