1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sonic Defenders (ear plugs)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by open choke, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. open choke

open choke TS Member

Anyone here ever use sonic defenders?

I have custom molds and I love them they work so well that I can't hear normal conversation.

I do hear the pullers yell the score but only when they yell it.

I know the NRR of the molds I believe is around 29 NNR and the sonic defenders is 24 NNR is that a big enough difference to matter?

It also says they are meant for sounds above 85 db and a 12 gauge is 120-140 db (depending on the chart you read)

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

they are great.....but only if you'd like to go deaf....29 to 24 nrr is HUGE. also i don't trust them to work....i use my 30+ nrr orange plugs and feel safe that i won't loose my hearing in the next 5 years.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

The yellow foam plugs you get from your local hardware store are the highest rated throw away plugs I've seen. I believe they are 32 NRR. My plastic molded plugs are around 40 NRR. I can hear talking with the yellow's but not with my molded plugs. My Ears come before scores. Find out what works for you!!! Break-em all Jeff

4. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Mechanically operated plugs like the Sonic operate too slow to protect your hearing, if you want to hear and have protection from gunfire, the better electronic units are best. The best of both is to use the foam plugs with electronic muffs over them, you get great protection and can hear when you need to.

Tinnitus, ringing in the ears, comes from cumulative exposure to harmful sounds, you cannot know when the next gunshot or sound will put you over the edge resulting in permanent ringing. I have had it severely for 40 years, I did not know what Tinnitus was until too late, it is difficult to live with at times.

5. open choke

open choke TS Member

I'll be passing on the sonic defenders. Thanks guys

6. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

They are nice and comfortable. The NRR is a little too low for me unless I am by myself on the line. I use them in practice and if I'm getting a lesson because I can hear better.

7. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

No worth a tinkers damn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.