1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Son talking going from blue to green

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 635 G, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I'm a retired Navy Chief, qualified in submarines--in today's environment if I was going to do it all over again I would have joined the Coast Guard. Retirement is based on length of service & final pay grade. Being part of homeland security the CG will have a lot more funds available & the coasties always seemed to advance very quickly. Tell your son he if goes green he will be deployed to some places that are not as comfortable as shipboard life & in other branches of the service YOU are the target, not your ship or aircraft. Comradeship in the submarine service is a truly worldwide bond. I go to reunions when ever I can & any submariner welcomes any other submariner.

Phil Berkowitz

2. rrrocketman

rrrocketman Member

Copper --- my son went "green" after eight years of "blue". Been green for three years and is at Ft Richardson, Alaska awaiting deployment to Afghanistan, supposedly by 01 June. He was Soldier of the month in January and plans on retiring from the Army. So I guess he likes it just fine although promotion points and rates seems to have slowed a bit.

Rich

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Ctrea, you just reminded me of an incident. When we were living on our boat, we spent one winter @ Boca Chica NAS in Key West. Next to our boat was a retired special forces major Andy Messer. Andy had a son who was graduating West Point. He said, "if he goes into the infantry I'll kill him, he's not going to do to me what I did to my mother."

Phil Berkowitz

4. jack1122

jack1122 TS Member

Reading all of these. I am in the coast guard and have been for almost 10 years now. I love it. I wouldn't want to do anything else. I have lived in Alaska, Alabama, Hawaii, Louisiana, and now Oregon. If I had it to do over again I wouldn't change a thing. Advancement is fast in most jobs that you choose. Just thought I should put my two cents in.
    Jack

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Coast Guard guys look pretty good in their skirts....

Go Green.....Airborne

Jump out of airplanes......meet new people....then kill 'em.

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.