1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Son of a Gun TV show

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by SeldomShoots, Mar 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Many,

You are showing up to this party a little late. There was a thread on here a couple of weeks ago, and as I recall, most every member of TS.com that submitted a post, thought it was very poor quality show for a number of reasons.

However, with your commentary you would have been a part of an overwhelming majority. Sons of Guns is one show that should not finish its first season, and should not be picked up for a second.

John E.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I thought the show was amusing from a character study point of view but will agree that the technical content is not appropriate.

The show would make a person believe that it is normal to walk into a gunsmithing shop and have them build or modify what ever type of class III device that you can dream up. Not true to life.

On the other hand a show based on real gunsmiths would be exceptionally boring, who wants to watch a guy spend all week hand fitting a 1911 that a customer is willing to pay several thousand dollars and wait many months for?

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I like the daughter... The old man comes across like just another grubby, machine shop, tush hog.

They work on mostly AK's and Saiga conversions, not excaclty K-80 triggers.

But they seem to fill a niche and make a living.

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Stupid, contrived, stupid, contrived...... just like all the so called "reality" shows.

Being a Louisiana native, I hate it!

Guy Babin

5. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I like "Top Shot" allot better for sure because the feats of marksmanship can really be impressive.

As for "Sons", a bit of what everyone else has said but still mildly interesting at times although the daughter needs a good dentist.

So you take your remote.........

6. bultobill

bultobill TS Member

For someone who so making all these things and his daughter is selling loads of stuff. How come they all drive beater crap cars. They should have goverment contracts comming out of thier butt. Something does not add up. But the show about the 50cal ma2 was inteisting..later all

7. shelly

shelly TS Member

Given it's high ratings, apparently a lot of people find the show entertaining. It's the only shooting related show my non-shooting wife will watch. I have a hard time understanding why gun owners wouldn't enjoy watching things being blown up and full auto shooting, glue sniffers excepted. If you've never shot full auto, you haven't lived. The objective is entertainment, not a documentary on gunsmithing that would't get any higher ratings than a liberal talk show.

The latest show, where they made a kill stick for alligators was a hoot. Sure hope it didn't upset all the PETA members on this site.

8. Jerry944t

What's the matter Cactus, wake up on the wrong side of the crypt?

Nothing more American than .22 rifles. I don't know any shooter who hasn't enjoyed that experience.

Stay tuned for next week. They are competing with a Barrett 50 cal. Maybe that will float your boat.

9. Jerry944t

No ruffled feathers here Jack. I cut my teeth on .22s so I didn't understand your complaint. I do understand hatchets and blowguns and found that episode kind of boring.

Top Shot's premise is that the "Top Shot" has to be proficient with all weapons.

Next week's competition will be shooting the 50 cal BMG round and that sounds like something you'd like to watch, I know I would.

10. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Son of a Gun is about a class 3 manufacture who is licensed to build anything from destructive devices on down to suppressors. It is a good look into that world, what they do is not anything like gunsmithing, they weld, scab, rivet, do anything to slap something together to make a sale. And with that market they can charge whatever they want for their creations, the profit is very high but their licenses are expensive too. I learned this first hand a few years ago when I wanted to make a NFA purchase and visited a shop and saw the type of work they do. It's not at all the same standards you would expect from a gunsmith.

11. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

All I know is, a Golf Pro beat a Seasoned Marine shooting 22's and the Golfer was using an unorthodox hold on the rifle part of the shoot.

The Marine said, I got beat fair and square, he was a real gentleman about it.

12. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

When the producers pull the plug on this show they should burn the tapes! Three episodes was my limit.

La. trash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.