1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Son is moving before he sees the target

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by poppat, May 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poppat

poppat Member

My son has been shooting some really good scores and all of a sudden he has dropped from high twentys to high teens. I started watching him close and he is moving to the target before he can even see it any ideas on how to break this habit?

Terry

2. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

have him close eyes, then call for the bird

3. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Do gun mounts at home (empty gun), and every time he mounts the gun, call for the bird like he normally does, and make sure that gun holds still. Do it every day to become habit. This advice is from the very helpful Mr. Bud Bartholow and we all know how good the Bartholows shoot.
    Another thing that may also help, quit watching squad mates birds, he may be anticipating where the bird is coming from, quit watching and guessing the machine. Just look off to the side until the guy before you shoots and then you are ready to go. YMMV. Scott

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If your range will allow it, get the scorer's control for the voice release system and switch it off every now and then before your son calls for the bird. This will make him look for a target coming out of the house. Do this for a couple practice rounds and then come back in a week or so and repeat. Doesn't take long to make this bad habit go away.

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Don't let him shoot off the speakers. Use the button to hand pull targets. Don't let him call, but throw them randomly. He can't move until he sees them. Mark

6. ejmarler

ejmarler TS Member

What was very helpful to me was having someone release the birds instead of using the voice control. The puller would vary the time between when I called and when he released the bird. I quickly noticed that I was anticipating and learned to wait for the bird.

7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

not watching squadmates birds might help but it could be cheating a squadmate out of a bird or two in a registered shoot.

8. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

Slow pull him a few times. That will break that habit.

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

As said above. Don't give him a bird a few times. See it done in skeet practice all the time.

10. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

I used to look at the ground and sing a song to myself until I heard my mate to the left call for the bird. I found I was trying to read the trap machine and would get surprised sometimes. A broken bird would come out and I was already tracking the pieces. Looking at the ground, singing in my head broke that habit.

11. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Leo advises that every shooter should watch every bird....it's like getting free practice targets if you think about how you would have shot that particular target. It also helps you to practice picking the bird up as close as possible to the house.
    He does a drill during clinics where no one calls for a target. When the shooters looks ready, a target is thrown.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Karla, I'd venture a guess that Leo gets a big giggle outa some of the responses posted here on TS?

Even the voice calls vary somewhat from club to club, bad habit to get into jumping the gun in anticipation of the clays angle!!

It should be mandatory that every shooter watch EVERY target thrown for several reasons, not just the two mentioned above!!

Hap

13. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Britt Robinson taught me to use a hand pull on kids. When they yell pull, slow pull them, or don't pull at all. It takes about 5-6 targets to get this across. I used this when I was coaching 4-H kids and SCTP kids. It works. Give it time. Charlie

14. Mac55555mn

Mac55555mn TS Member

oregunner is so right ,i had to do the same thing, pull targets by hand and i still try it every now and then . big differance for me. Brad

15. poppat

poppat Member

anymore

16. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

A Britt Robinson clinic will cure that...and boost his average too...

Ron Burr

17. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Number 10 paper plates and stick them on the wall in a random pattern. Have him mount the gun at what would be house top level and call out a number. He will have to look for that number before he moves the gun. You can record random numbers on ipod so he can practice alone.

18. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

So, in a 100 bird race I should watch 500 targets and not be concerned about eye fatigue or brain fade? And I should also do this to help my competitors score as many X's as I do?

I'll have to think about that. OK, I thought about it.

19. ChetH

ChetH Member

Hi,

Has he changed his hold point? I find that I I am too high I will start to hunt for the target.

chet

20. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

The wonderful gentleman who coached me a lot when I was learning to shoot, (Before voice releases.), would stand next to me holding the button in one hand and a stick in the other. If I called for a target and he did not press the button....if my gun so much as twitched ...HE HIT ME ACROSS THE BACK OF THE LEGS WITH THE STICK! 40 years later my gun still won't move until I see the target. Now I am not endorsing this method...but it does work!

Bob Schultz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.