1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Son Breaks First Clay Target

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by otnot, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otnot

otnot Active Member

My 9 year old son has officially started shooting trap. Last weekend he only fired four shots but broke 2 of them. I was so proud of him and I can't wait to have him standing by my side. Now I'm putting together a gun for him. I bought an MX8 reciever and I have a 32 inch barrel and triggers. The stock has a rad II so it should fit him for awhile. When he is ready for doubles I will add the over under barrels.

[​IMG]

Jim

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Jim, congrats on your sons first targets!!! You might want to look into a PFS Type Stock for your son. The total adj. for lenth of pull and both the comb and butt plate make it the perfect choice for any youngster what can grow with the gun. This way you don't have to cut the stock and then glue it back together in pieces as he grows. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

3. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

that's a great story. I can't wait to have kids so that I can share these expierences with them

4. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Jim,

Congrats to you proud dad! I well remember both of my son's first dead targets and for both of my grandsons. The day my grandson Austin broke his first target, as we were leaving the gun club he ran over to say goodbye...wrapped his arms around my leg and said "Grandpa, that's the best time I've ever had!" He is now ranked 11th nationally in overall standings for BMX racing in X-Pert class at 12 years old. Keep us posted on your son's progress.

Best regards,

milt

5. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

that's wonderful.. I have wished for a son for 20 years but instead got 4 lovely daughters..lol.. you will enjoy watching him shoot more than yourself..

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Jim! A great moment to remember!

7. TC

TC TS Member

Congratulations Jim, that is great! Tony

8. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

When my wife told me our grandson wanted to try trapshooting, I was less than excited because of his size.He, coming from a hunting family, really wanted to try it. So I broke down and took him to our local club early one day and got him all set up to try with his 1187 20ga youth gun. I put him on post 3 and said, "have at it". To my surprise, he broke the first 8 targets. Now , he and I are both excited about it. I can give him enough "stuff' to outfit him and have already got him a BT99 fitted. He is small so recoil is a problem but he never conplains. Gotta luv it.

9. otnot

otnot Active Member

Now I can't wait until the day comes when he beats me so I can see that look he gives anytime he wins. This weekend I'm taking him to watch a registered shoot in Anchorage and by next summer he should be able to compete.

10. hoot619

hoot619 Member

I'm happy for both of you. Its a lot of fun and I really enjoy watching the young shooters. My son and grandson have just started. The parents grandparents or whoever starts them off in shooting will never forget it. The smiles on their faces when the youngster starts hitting them is something to watch. In fact all the shooters watching are pulling for the new shooter. It is so nice to see them start breaking them. Ken

11. 20yard

20yard TS Member

First off a Perazzi and a PFS, would you consider to adopt me?

My son started at 11 and turned 16 this week and often beats me and it's a real push to go straight to win now. He also did some travel league and we liked that, all the guys who coach I find to be excellent people not only for shotgun training but role models for behavior. Enjoy and even the most competitive likes to lose to their son.

12. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Cool, way cool.

I teach a lot of novices to shoot - and I've found a great motivator to keep them coming back - give them the empty hull from the first target they break.

A small souvenir, but every time they see it on their shelf or desk it will remind them of the day of shooting.

I get lots of calls like this: "I was just looking at my shell - I was wondering if we could go shooting again??"

13. zelmo96

zelmo96 Member

1st target broken to 1st 5 on a post to 25 straight, great to see. Bittersweet to be beaten by your child the 1st time, then it is very rewarding. My son won his 1st state JR singles and Cap title this year. Not a very emotional kid, but a smile from ear to ear this time. I was very proud, but I realized, I have to practice more. Keep them interested and good luck, Al Baker

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Moments to remember forever. I know how proud you feel, I had three boys and I remember their's also. It does not get any better than shooting with family. My boys are now 42, 44 and 46 and one of them shoots almost daily. He turned into a hungting fool. If it flies it dies is his motto. The other two are going through financial hard times so are not shooting much but will. All Good

15. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Jim, Trust me you can wait, it happens all to soon. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.