1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Son Benched for playing Basketball

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by charlevillecat, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlevillecat

charlevillecat TS Member

Hi Guys,can I have your thoughts on this one.My son plays on the High School Basketball Team as well as the High School Hockey team.Just recently he and two other boys(who are also on the Hockey team)where benched for half a game because they played Basketball three nights prior(a Basketball Tourney and Hockey game where slated on the same nite),their Hockey coach blamed them for losing the game because they where at the basketball tourney(the School principal told them to go play Basketball as the tourney was more important than a regular Hockey game,school rule is that if you play on two sports teams the game deemed more important you are to go play) and also told them Basketball was a sissy sport.The Hockey coach was contacted by the School and told that he could continue to coach but must obey School rules and he flatly said that he does things his way or no way,has been replaced by another Gentleman.Any reply would be great.

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

Sounds like he didnt wanna "play" by the established rules,see ya wouldnt wanna be ya.

Bill

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

This will be just one lesson in life for your son . It,s really a cheap lesson cost him little and he can learn alot from it. There is alot of people that will put crap in our way the answer is go around it and the little people.

4. KenC

KenC Member

Sounds like the hockey coach is a jerk and in a lot of ways, especially for blaming the loss on the kids. If he just up and quit after that, I would think that he may never coach [in a school] in that area again. Doesn't he have a contract to live up to?

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Both coaches have a boss. And it's his call.

End of story.

HM

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Oh, yes, and for the coach that blames a loss on the kids:

"will you be checking one bag or two, sir?" (those feathers should come off with a little kerosene).

HM

7. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Some schools are limiting kids to just one sport. No more "three letter" athletes as many of us were way back when... Ron.

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

That coach was a dink,,,,is he really gone? We had no problems with games over lapping. You just told the coach ahead of time, and you best be at the game you said you where. 99% of the time schedules didnt interfer with each other. Hockey was always late nights early mornings any day you could get ice time really. basket ball was always shortly after school was over. baseball was inbetween everything else. Now practice that was tough with 2 or more sports!!!! you could get benched for not showing up to practice noifsandsorbuts.

9. charlevillecat

charlevillecat TS Member

As I said he was contacted by the School Principal and he refused to go by the School rules.

10. Bluerock1

Bluerock1 Member

So what would have happened if he was at a registered shoot within three days prior to the hockey tournament. Coaches like this guy need to be fired so they can have time to get a life.

BR1

11. charlevillecat

charlevillecat TS Member

The guy has been replaced but there are a few parents(small percentage I may add)that say Hockey should come first and please dont ask me why.

12. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Your sons did as they were told. They did nothing wrong.

My father was fond of reminding me that "When you deal with jackasses, you will occasionally get kicked."

Morgan

13. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I would be curious if the coach had the rules in place before the season. And the kids knew the rules. My daughter also played multiple sports and her soccer coach definitely let every kid know that during soccer season you were not to participate in other sports. In part due to the higher probably of injuries because of over use ( stress fractures etc). Just a thought?

14. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I have played both sports competitively and at high levels. In any team sport there are never and I mean never a win or loss because of one or two players. Any coach worth a crap knows that you win or lose as a team. Especially in hockey where there are usually three lines out there. As a matter of fact this would give the other players on the team the chance to step up and play harder and a win sweeter. Your son should not have been talked to the coach should have as there is no I in team and someone should remind him of what team sports are all about.

Martin Milano 0765881

15. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I'll go you one better - how about your kid getting kicked off the shooting team for shooting!!

I should let sleeping dogs lie but it still ranckles me.

16. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Nothing worse than uncredentialed parent coaches. They usually are jerks and have their own ego problems. The principal runs the school and made the decision. A short story: In 2003 my daughter played high school volley ball. The season ended and she went out to play soccer and the coach [a parent] would not let her and two other volley ball girls play soccer, but she was an outstanding goalie, so he wanted her to coach the other keepers. Yea sure! She took up trap shooting and in 2004 her SCTP team won the CA. State Championship and went to the Nationals... a trap shooter was born. Fred [retired high scholl principal]

17. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

WWAMD

What Would A Moderator Do?

Kicked the offending (coach) out of the school!!

18. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

When I was in HS a long time ago there were a few athletes that could play 2 sports at the same time my school didn't have a hockey team at the time and we played club hockey but there was a kid that played soccer and was the kicker for the football team at the same time. Exceptional athlete for sure. No problems with scheduling at all and the school loved him for it, so did we as players. There is no excuse for that coaches behavior. If your son is that good he should be able to play .

Martin

19. charlevillecat

charlevillecat TS Member

The Guy THAT WAS COACHING THEM has been taking to task before as he has called different kids names that I will not mention.Please understand we are dealing with a small High School 700-800 kids.To make up teams at times some kids have to play two different sports.My Son and the two other boys just recently played 2 games of Basketball within 4 hours then hope into a waiting car all sweaty and hussled their butts off to the Rink to play hockey for this Guy 1 hour after the second basketball Game,then he tells them they dont have any commitment.

20. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

As a former school district athletic director, I can tell you that the problem your son encountered is why our Board of Education did not permit students to be on more than one team per season. We knew that each coach would pressure the athlete to compete for him, causing feelings of guilt in the student-athlete as well as, probably, a diminished performance in the game chosen. Nobody wins in a situation like that.
    It's better to disappoint a coach at the beginning of the season, and be done with it, than in mid-season. We, at one tim, did permit studeents to be involved in two sports in a season, and found that the commitment to two teams had a negative effect on the student's academic performance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.