1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Something You Should Know About GunDr

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Recoil Sissy, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

For those that aren't aware, Doug Braker posts on this site as GunDr. He is a talented gunsmith with a shop near Backus, MN. Doug provides a variety of gunsmithing services which you can read all about on his website: dougsgunsmithshop.com

One of Doug's specialties is the Remington 90-T. Kolar Arms actually built the 90-T for Remington. At the time, Doug worked for Kolar and was intimately involved in the 90-T project. I think it's fair to say Doug that has forgotten more about 90-T's than most will ever know.

My personal experience with Doug started with the rebuild of a 90-T about two years ago. He's subsequently rebuilt a Citori for me. The bottom line? Doug's work is top shelf. His prices are fair and turn around is prompt.

However, this morning I have a small bone to pick.

Earlier this spring I experienced a problem with the 90-T. A small adjustment and replacement spring and it was good to go. The problem? Doug won't send me a bill - not even for return shipping.

Assuming the 'problem' was covered under some warranty (I can't imagine why it would be) any reasonable warranty would have long since expired. I consider this ho-hum maintenance that should be on MY dime. Doug won't hear of it.

So be warned! Doug Braker is a stand up guy that does terrific work and goes beyond the reasonable expectations.

Thanks Doug.

sissy

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I heard the same thing about Doug too, he helped many shooters on TS, and couple guy's part of their life is depending on Doug.

I sincerely hope he will not retire soon and his successor start running the business like an enterprise, double the price & turn-around time. Sound familiar? :)

3. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

I must agree with sissy that Doug is a stand up guy and does excellent work. He is working on a gun of mine right now.

What really impressed me about him was about a month ago I asked him about fitting a barrel to a gun. I figured it was no big deal. He went above and beyond explaining the process of putting a newer barrel on an older "hand fitted" receiver. He said it more than likely would get "complicated" and that meant expensive. He could have easily said he would do it and sent me a bill for 3 times what I was expecting, but he didn't. He was straight up, no BS about the deal. I passed on the idea. I didn't want to put a lot of money in that gun. He is the type of person I want to do business with.

4. NintyT

NintyT Member

Ditto. Doug is currently converting third 90-t trigger to release for me. Price is fair, and the work is excellent. Steve Johnson

5. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

i sent a stock to Doug to refinish and replace pad. I got an email asking me if i was sure i wanted to refinish it because he did not think it needed it ?
    i just got a new pad !

ernie

6. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Doug and his club, the Northstar Gun Club in Walker, Minnesota, are also hosting a Minnesota Youth Chain Shoot this year! We'll be traveling with a group of kids to shoot on Sunday, May 30th, and Coach and I can't wait to get up there.

I met Doug at the ATA/NRA Trapshooting Coaches Clinic where he took (and passed!) his Level 1 Coaching class. Not only is he a great gunsmith but he's also very dedicated to promoting youth shooting in their community.

See you soon, Doug and John,

CalamitySJ

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Doug has had countless kudos on TS.com over the years. We should all seriously consider using him when we need something. He has stepped up with free advice to help out people on this forum more times than I could count.

8. neofight

neofight TS Member

Horrible, just horrible. This is just another example of someone who believes in good service, fairness and expecting nothing in return. The country is going to rack and ruin, i tell ya : )

9. neofight

neofight TS Member

Horrible, just horrible. This is just another example of someone who believes in good service, fairness and expecting nothing in return. The country is going to rack and ruin, i tell ya : )

10. BAP

BAP TS Member

Ditto on Doug and his fine service. He has done several jobs for me and service has been outstanding. He teflon coated two 90t's for me and offered to redo the silver one because he didn't like the finish. I told him it was ok the way it was but appreciated the offer. The way I look at it my guns are tools and I haven't noticed any difference in the way the silver one breaks targets. Good man and great service. Bill Parson Jr

11. neofight

neofight TS Member

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Well.. I hate everyone equally.. and my good guy list is very short.. Doug's on my Great guy list.. He has my total respect.. Mike

13. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I too have nothing but good to say about Doug.

I had him do some work for me on a Perazzi TMS. Being the guy he is, when he got the gun he just started fixing what was wrong not realizing that I had only asked him to do a couple of things. When I got my gun back it came with a note explaining that he had mistakenly done the extra work. He told me I didn't have to pay for it if I didn't want to.

The truth is that I was on a budget and didn't have the green. It sure was tempting to just not send him the money. I couldn't do that and sent him the money. A laborer is worthy of his hire and Doug is the best.

I don't think there is a better smith out there and I wouldn't hesitate to send him my most prized gun to work on.

14. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Well I'll tell ya something nasty about the guy. I went into his shop to drop off my 90T for rebuild and the guy brought out his 90T from the safe. Case colored, engraved, etc, etc. Made me drool all over myself. Other than that, he's a great guy and garage logition. I think he may very well be the official gunsmith of the town of Garage Logic up here in Gumption County.

Bob

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Doug is just "terrible"... done two 90ts for me and I never have anything to complain about... just makes the rest of my days looks even worse by comparison...

My thanks to many of you who wrote previously about Doug, which is how I took the chance to have him work on my low rib and then recently on the tuneup and refinish of my HPAR...

Best regards to a true gentleman and craftsman!

regards to you all,

Jay

16. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

How do I contact this guy??........Thanks,.......Rob G.

17. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

pheasantsgalore:

Doug's website is posted in the first paragraph of the first post. All his contact data and a host of other useful info is listed there.

sissy

18. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Has anyone had the gold treatment done from Doug? I would love to have a Browning Double Auto done in gold. Can these coatings be done on Alumimum receivers?
    Doug Allison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.