1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Something my P.W. Loader taught me

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Border Bandit, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

After spending too much time and cash fixing the primer loading assembly, and associated pieces-parts on my P.W. 800B; I learned a great secret.

The primer seating pin had gotten bent, because it did not retract, when the seating assembly was supposed to decompress, it did not, exposing the mild steel pin to the primer feed ram, both of which are easily bent. Whiz White has a fix, which is a machined hard(er) steel replacement pin/shaft that replaces the soft one. That is a great repair, but isn't the complete answer; because it may not have caused the problem in the first place.

With the tool shelf in the up position, push down on the primer feed assembly. Does it compress/decompress without binding, or sticking? If it sticks/binds there's potential for major problems, especially if you're using the motor drive; because it lacks the sensitivity of the hand driven handle, and will simply destroy itself, or whatever's in the way.

I bought what may have been the last new, complete primer feed assembly, in the world, from Jim Cunningham last summer at Elysburg, and it was smooth, and didn't stick or bind while in my hand; yet stuck when installed on the press. How can that be?

Here's the secret, as revealed in my Epiphany: You know how you like to reach up and "adjust" the primer tray so the primers feed better? That's the problem! Every time you make an adjustment to the tray and it's track, there's the potential for placing torque on the primer feed assembly, causing it to bind, causing the disastrous consequences described above.

Here's how to adjust the system to avoid the problem. If there's primers on the track, put a piece of tape over the last few so they won't escape when you disconnect the feed track from the primer feed assembly. It's important to make any and all adjustments with the track disconnected. Once you've adjusted the assembly properly so that it compresses/decompresses without binding, and it feeds and seats your primer properly, bend and twist the primer tray feed track so that it attatches to the primer seating assembly without binding and sticking, once the track is screwed to the assembly and you can compress/decompress it smoothly without sticking/binding. If it feels "rough" then unscrew the track, bent/twist, and try again, until you've got it right.

There 'ya go. Hopefully I've helped someone, because the problem was driving me crazy.

I thank Whiz White for his patience and support, while sorting this out.

best regards.....mike

2. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

Waxing or metal polishing the primer feed tray will make a huge difference in how well they feed. Once I did it to mine they completely quit setting up there. It has been several thousand rounds and now it is time to do it again.

3. toolguy

toolguy Member

Silicone spray on a rag and then wiped onto the primer tray will also work, without any hazard of contaminating the primers with whatever petroleum product might be present in other waxes and polishes.

Don Whiton

4. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

I just today fixed two of my P.W."s.I had the same problem as well as others--Thanks for the info. dennis

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Talked to Tonya at the P-W factory about installing the primer tray/chute on my 900 and she explained that she adjusts them so that when the the tray and chute are attached to only the top crosshead and the bottom crosshead is anywhere but fully down, the end of the chute contacts the side of the primer feed about 3/16" below the recess the chute fits into and directly below it. All that should be necessary to install the chute into the feed is to lift the end slightly. The mounting tab for the screw must lie flat against the side of the primer feed so the chute doesn't move when the screw is tightened.

MK

6. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Womdeful information thanks makes this site a useful tool for all of us.

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

C'mon Joe, You should've gone for the Spolar!! Shoot often while we can, Bob

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

There you go again TSJoe: You offer nothing save to slam a product.

Wonder if I'll live long enough to hear you say a kind word?

Whiz

9. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

With apologies to Whiz, here's acouple of things that have worked out for me. Ever bend the primer feed ram and tried to straighten it? If you are really lucky the end won't snap off. Try to straighten it a couple of times, and it will almost always break. Take out your trusty Dremel and greind off the high side at the bend. While its warmed up you might want to beve the corner edges on the primer feed ram. Can't say it will work for everybody, but it has worked out well for me.
    Dan

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

My PW taught me that it's easier to shoot new stuff....

11. len loma

len loma TS Member

Been reloading for 40 years with a number of different brand reloaders. In my opinion PW gets the job done quite well.

Len

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

Mine really sucks. I had the case feeder and added an electric drive. The damn feeder would not keep up. P/W fixed the feeder for free. Then they had the nerve to send me some parts I ordered and did not charge me.

I loaded over 2000 rounds one day after getting everything hooked back up. I had 4 or 5 primers FTF. At this rate, it will take another 7 days to load my remaining 15,000 hulls.

For some reason I get primers stuck at the interface between the tray discharge and the chute. No amount of bending those lips at the top seems to cure it. Even added a vibratory device - no luck.

Don Verna

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

DON: Try bending the small lip on the spent primer chute into a greater than 90º angle, or bend out the "L" shaped cover just above it to great than 90º.

JOE: I always have a GREAT DAY regardless of the negatives!

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.