1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Something is wrong here!

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Bushmaster1313, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

This will get you upset

2. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

I don't see your issue here. The man was clearly in the wrong. I heard a lot of "I thought theys" in the story. Everyone has the right to defend themselves, but they don't have the right to take the law in their own hands. He should have known the laws of his town/ county/ and state. If I'm not mistaken 1313, you live in New Jersey correct? You know the laws here and ignorance is no excuse. Do what he did and see what would happen? Good luck Chuck Hrosik

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

20 guys standing around my house would make me a bit nervous.

Wasting shots into the ground is dumb. Plus you NEVER fire "warning shots".

Call the police. Stay inside, find cover if you can, gather more guns/ammo, and shoot if/when they come in. Going out to confront them is stupid.

Don Verna

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Gives us responsible gun owners a bad name. He may have "ramboed" himself out of the right to own firearms at all.

And the thugs get the last laugh...

Really dumb.

Guy B.

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Yada, Yada, Yada, It is really easy to judge when you weren't the one being threatened. A holier than thou attitude doesn't cut it.

"Call the police. Stay inside, find cover if you can, gather more guns/ammo, and shoot if/when they come in."

Funny that sounds like becoming a prisoner in your own home at the mercy of your local gang what ever they want is OK. So what do you do if you "stay inside" an the gang members decide to set fire to your home while you and your family have become prisoners inside??? What do you do if the next time they want to get at you and they cut the phone lines call the police?????

BTW if more citizens stood up for themselves there might just be less gangs and criminals to deal with.

Bob Lawless

6. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

"felony reckless endagerment"

"depraved indifference"

give me a break

7. ivanhoe

Were there any charges filed against the 20 gang members that were on his property threating him??????

Bob Lawless

8. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

When is the last time you've heard of a police officer drawing a weapon and firing warning shots, or even just draw his weapon at anyone who has not drawn a weapon first?

Do youall stipulate that civilians should be able to brandish and discharge weapons in public without deadly provocation, and law enforcement can't?

Guy B.

9. schutzemgud

schutzemgud TS Member

There was a time that you could chase people off of your property. That time is gone. Dverna is correctly stating the legal options not the ones he would like. 20 thugs on your lawn of your house would be a cause for alarm and arming yourself. Remember when seconds count the police are just minutes away. In this instance the police would be the decision to make but not the one we all would like to make.

I wish this man well but he will spend time and money defending himself now. It's not right but it is the law as onerous as it is.

Mike Sudz

10. ivanhoe

"I wish this man well but he will spend time and money defending himself now. It's not right but it is the law as onerous as it is."

That statement may be very true but at least he is still alive and so is his family. Can anyone guarantee he would be if he didn't fire that weapon????

Bob Lawless

11. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I'd like to hear Bob Dodd's and Curt's take on the subject.... both career law enforcement professionals.

Guy

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

If 20 guys wanted a piece of me I would call the cops first. 20 to 1 is bad odds anyway that you cut it. our local law enforcement is pathetic but I would give them the option of showing up before I stepped outside to confront 20 people. At the very least it shows that you tried to get the law involved. if you want to take the law into your own hands you need to live outside major Metropolitan areas. When law enforcement is 20 to 30 minutes drive time you get away with far more as a matter of necessity. AN AK-47 is far from a home defense weapon and the guy will be judged by the people that the media portrays him to be. That is the fact boys and girls. when you go out in the front yard and start firing an AK-47 into the ground do not expect to have the media or local Leo's on your side. Jeff

13. ivanhoe

I expect that firing into the ground will help the local LEO to the scene faster!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob Lawless

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

Bob,

You always run from a gun fight if you can. You always shoot to kill if you pull the trigger.

Keeping things this simple means you will do the right thing when the manure hits the ventilator. Take some rudimentary self-defense training.

Facing down 20 possible thugs is stupid. Great movie crap - but stupid. If 20 guys want your butt, you don't stand a chance standing outside alone with one gun. Who will protect your family then?

They pose no immediate threat if they are outside. Let the police handle them. Once they enter the house by force, they are fair game. Hallways will give you a killing zone. Think about what those 300 Spartans did to the Persians in that narrow pass.

Don Verna

15. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Don't stand a chance with a 30 round mag? Come on- drop two or three and they will be moving on.

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    SuperXJeff, quote: <i>"AN AK-47 is far from a home defense weapon"</i>

Like all rifles, it's drawback is overpenetration. In a densely populated area with lots of nearby homes, that can be an issue. Ditto for a common 30-30 lever action. In a rural environment, that's not an issue.

So are you objecting to the overpentration aspect of all rifle caliber long arms in a dense urban environment or something else?

17. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

In Missouri, we have a "Castle" law. Many of you missed the statement, "They threatened to kill my wife and children". That could have resulted in a yard full of dead thugs and no charge against the homeowner.

Buz

18. shadow

shadow Active Member

Same here in Ky Alf. Enter my property and threaten me or my family and see what happens.

19. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Like they say, "I guess you had to have been there."

Sounded pretty scarey to me. Now that the gang knows he no longer has an AK, what's next? Sounds like relocation.

20. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Everybody is missing the point that Bob kind of picked up on. What about the "so called 20 gang members". If you really paid attention to the article and news clip the guy in this story didn't really know or wasn't sure of how many people and thought they were in MS13. His uncertainty is brought into question. The guys story seems a little on the shady side to me. As far as "my castle laws" and the"line in the sand" components of them this man would still be in the wrong. The men still had to try to enter his home. Not just his yard. Remember what I posted earlier, ignorance is no excuse. My only hope is that nobody has to be put in this type of situation. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.