1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Something in my eye during shoot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 1100 classic trap shooter, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1100 classic trap shooter

1100 classic trap shooter TS Member

I was shooting my 1100 today and it was windy. When I pulled the trigger on one shell I felt something in my right eye, I was wearing safety glasses. I had to stop the squad for a few minutes to wash my eye, but they where nice folks and did not mind. I wonder if it was gun power blowing black in my eye? Has anyone else had this happen?

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Typical from autos. I shoot a super x and have shot many many 1100's. Happens all the time. Just be glad that you are not left handed, it is twice as bad. John

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Left handed shooter here, I wear nothing but wrap style lenses. Material can bounce of your face off the inside of lense then right in your eye. I loved the randolph lense until I had a person to my right had a reciever malfunction. Just enough snuck by the side of my glasses to nock me out of shooting, luckily just for a few weeks. come on randolph time for a true wrap lense. The new style is better but still need a better wrap. for me anyway.

4. oletymer

oletymer Member

Alf, unless the porting was done by an idiot the wad shaving is an old wives tale.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Wind can blow debris from your gun, other guns or simply dust from the grounds into your eyes.

Pat Ireland

6. BuckGuru

BuckGuru Member

I bought an 1100 in 1963, shortly after Remington introduced them. My buddies and I used to shoot clay targets with a hand thrower in the back yard, and I noticed that I was getting splattered in the face with something about once every five shots. I sent the gun in to Remington to have it checked out. They returned in in a couple weeks and said there was nothing wrong with it, just make sure I wear safety glasses at all times.

If there is any doubt that an 1100 can throw debris at you, shoot it at night and notice the nice little flame that comes out of the port when you shoot.

Scary.

7. oletymer

oletymer Member

Alf, you are assuming things. I have shot next to people with ported guns a lot in the last 15 years. I don't shoot by myself, never have in the 55 years I have shot trap. The only time I have noticed the ported guns is shooting annies when standing shoulder to shoulder. I was only referring to your statement that wad shavings were being ejected. I never said that you might not get powder residue in the ports. Karl

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Some shooters also shoot a 1100 wet and/or just keep spraying WD40 when they think the gun is starting to give them problems.

9. DocJim

DocJim Member

If any of you 1100/1187 shooters wear contact lenses, BEWARE. A peice of powder residue, usually hot, can lodge between the eye and the contact lens. It is very painful and could result in a corneal burn, visit to ophthmologist, etc. It would be safer to wear prescription shooting glasses rather than contact lenses plus non-prescription shooting glasses. It happened to me and it HURTS.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.