1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Something I Didn't Know...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MTA Tom, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Something I Didn

Everyone knows that the standard barrel diameters in inches for the different gauges are: 12 ga=.729, 16ga=.665, 20ga=.615, etc.

What I didn't realize (being mathematically challenged): "Since gauge number is inversely proportional to bore diameter cubed, the product of gauge number and bore cubed must be constant. Written out, this is

12 x .729 cubed = 16 x .665 cubed = 20 x .615 cubed, etc."

This is from a compilation of 1950's articles from the NRA's "American Rifleman".

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

That's because

The gauge number - 12 for example - is the number of pure lead balls, made to the standard bore size, the weight of which, added together, equals a pound. That is, twelve lead balls of a 0.729 inch diameter weigh a pound.

And the weight of a lead sphere is directly proportional to its volume

And its volume is directly proportional to the cube of its diameter.

Putting the latter two together,

The weight of a lead sphere is directly proportional to the cube of its diameter.

And since, by definiton, the number of balls is inversly proportional to the weight of each ball,

Their product is a constant.

Neil

3. Smac66

Smac66 TS Member

Oh my god.......I read this and am sure I made a face similar to the Aflac duck after Yogi said "and they give you cash, which is just as good as money"........just sat here with my mouth open shaking my head....

4. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Hi Neil

I was confident this wasn't news to you. :)

(I see my good friend Steve Adams beat you by one target shooting together on Squad #1, Event #1 on Tuesday.) :))

Good luck in the rest of the shoot,

Tom

5. biff

biff Active Member

Knowing this, I think may just give me one more target! Biff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.