1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Something here does not compute

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Holypatterns, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holypatterns

Holypatterns TS Member

I usually shoot 1 oz loads in a Model 870 at trap, with 18.5 grains of Red Dot. This combination is entirely satisfactory. But....when I use this same load in my auto for birds,I find the shells will not eject as they should. So I went looking for a hotter load with a little higher pressure,I looked for a 1 1/8 oz load in the Alliant Reloaders guide that might get me up to 10,000 psi or so. I found loads with a low of 16 grains of powder on up to 21 grains. I printed this last one out and have the printed sheet here in front of me.The recipe is so: 12 ga. Win. polyformed hull, 1 1/8 oz, Win 209 primer,21 grains Red Dot powder, Win WAA 12 wad, pressure 9400 psi,velocity 1255 fps.

This load scares me, 21 grains seems unduly hot,although the pressure isn't all that great. And the peculiar thing is, it is not in the Red Dot lineup of recipes any more,and like I said,I printed it out just 3 or 4 days ago.

2. hairy

hairy TS Member

I think your 1 oz-18½ Red Dot loads should cycle an 1100 Rem if that's what you shoot.

I wouldn't load or shoot those 21 gr loads you mentioned.

3. setter

setter Member

I just went to the Alliant website and your described load is there. You didn't say which auto but you may want to take a closer look at 1 oz alternatives, i.e. in my experience we don't need that much Red Dot for function.
    Regards, Jim

P.S. Could not get a direct link to the chart to work.

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Maybe this has something to do with it?

"12 ga. Win. polyformed hull"

5. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Your 1 oz. should cycle any non-magnum auto-loader. The 1 1/8 oz. load you quoted is for a polyformed hull, not a compression formed hull (AA). The polyformed is a straight wall hull requiring more powder for similar ballistics.

Buz

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

mrskeet410 has hit it. The polyformed hull is the "universal" hull not a AA. This hull is found on the discount shells that WalMart and others sell.

ec90t

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

holypatterns your load is still on the page the following is a direct copy.

3.25 1 1/8 1,255 Win. 209 Red Dot Win. WAA12 (White) 21 9,400 - Print this recipe

mrskeet410 and ec90t both of you mentioned the difference in the Win. hull I though the compression formed hulls were the old one piece AA. If so what are the new two piece AA called and do they reload the same data wise. I am not a AA fan and I load Rem STS hulls mostly. So I am not up on the newer AA hulls. Just curious.

Bob Lawless

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

The old one piece and the new two piece compression formed AA hulls use the same reloading data. The straight walled polyformed Winchester hull is totally different. Another clue to the original question is the wad. The Win AA12 wad is tapered. The polyformed hull works best with a straight wad. I do not like to put a tapered wad in a straight walled hull, but if one insists on doing that, it will require a little more powder.

Pat Ireland

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Pat Ireland thank you I didn't know that the reloading data was the same as I don't load very many AA's.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.