1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Something different in gun cleaning chemicals?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pyrdek, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Ran into something I have never noticed before today when cleaning the 11-87. I saw a thin plastic looking coating in some of the parts of the receiver and trigger group. It came off in sheets and ribbons that were very thin and almost transparent. It looked sort of like a lightly tinted plastic wad scrapings from the barrel but it was not barrel plastic wad residue.

I will pull the trigger group out and give the received and trigger group out every so often and give it a quick spray of cleaner. Then after a season or right before the start of a season I give it a through cleaning (remove stock, action spring, and all the other small pieces. That was when I noticed the residue.

I picked out some of the pieces and put it in a small metal can. I had recently tried some new aerosol spray cleaner and the can is gone so I do not recall what it was. My thoughts that this residue might have been unburned powder that was dissolved by the cleaner which then deposited it in some of the recesses of the receiver and then evaporated seem to be confirmed. The reason I thought this may be the case was because I saw some small white flecks on the outside of the receiver when I used this quick evaporating cleaner. The flecks were the size of grains of Nitro 100 which is what I mostly use. I seem to recall that the can had a bluish color and a different smell than what I had been using. That was Birchwood Casey stuff. I tried this other stuff because BC was getting to be quite pricey compared to this other stuff.

When I put a match to the small pieces I dug out it burned exactly like smokeless powder does when it is burned in open air. I also wonder if this could contribute to the cases of "fire from the ejection port" occasionally reported with auto-loaders.

Have you run into this type of problem where a cleaner fluid will dissolve smokeless and then allow it to form small (1/4" - 1/2") wide very thin deposits inside a receiver? If so, what cleaner was it that you were using.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.