1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Someone in the family with clinical depression?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by J.Fred.Muggs, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.Fred.Muggs

J.Fred.Muggs TS Member

So what will you do if you suspect someone in your household is suffering from clinical depression? Will you encourage them to get treatment if it means they may not pass a firearms background check for a long time, maybe never? Depression can be a lifetime struggle for many.

Will you encourage them to get treatment if it means the guns in your house will be removed? Will you voluntarily remove your guns from the household?

Will you move your self-defense weapons to more secure storage with less ready access?

If it is you that is suffering, will you cooperate with family members when they encourage you to seek treatment knowing your guns will be removed and you may not pass a background check?

What if it is your son, just discharged and suffering PTSD? Your favorite hunting buddy. The one you dreamed of hunting with the last 25 years. The one you thought would get your guns, your Dads guns, Grand Pa's gun.

What if it is your grandson suffering from the same affliction as the Newtown shooter? And your daughter recently widowed or abandoned by the child's irresponsible father is struggling on one income and may need to move back home, or maybe finds that the costs of the specialized day-care that's needed to keep him while she works is just beyond her means. But spending his days with his grandparents may provide a solution. What then?

Easy questions. Hard answers. I sure don't know the answers.

2. J.Fred.Muggs

J.Fred.Muggs TS Member

So what will you do?

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Mr. Muggs,

Neither me. The devil is always in the details and reality.

At 58 I already dread the day when they take my driver's license away from me. It is an integral part of my sense of freedom and independence.

Guy B.

4. hera200

hera200 Member

Great questions MR Muggs and I sure know what you mean gdbabin re the drivers license but hopefully we will be smart enough to give up driving on our own when the time comes and not need someone else to take it away. It sure would be much more difficult to do without driving if in a rural area where distance to the nearest needs is too great. Oh Well only time will tell and we may as well enjoy the time we have.....BUD

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Shoot 'em and be done with it.....easy to make it look like the mental midget attacked first!!

Curt

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What you do is get the person treatment now and worry about the other ramifications later. Get your priorities straight.

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Curt,

I love ya brother!

Guy

[​IMG]

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Thanks Guy...I knew you'd get it!!

Curt

9. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

Muggs,

My guess is that many on this site would do little or nothing. What you are asking is what gun rights that we have are we willing to give up in return for a safer home, neighborhood, country, etc.

I have never seen any poster on this site suggest that they would give up any of their gun rights for any reason, period. No qualifications are ever given.

gdbabin,

As so many have said, so many times on this site, driving is a privilege, gun ownership is a right. So what would you do given the scenario described.

To keep a driver's license, most states require retesting at some point. Once you legally have a gun, there is no further requirement to ownership. As far as i know, even if you were to have spent time in a mental hospital, there is no mechanism for your guns to be removed from your control.

10. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I have said this a million times before.

If you want to end mental illness, outlaw Liberalism.

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

The question was, what would YOU do.

As much as the liberal mouse-men here would like to portray this as the logically-perfect example of the proof that we must all give up some of our freedoms, the syllogism that cannot be topped...it doesn't fly.

Because you see, they make these things called GUN SAFES. And if you get the right kind, you can even change the combination every day if you want.

Nice try, but you're going to have to do better.

12. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Traders,

I agree 100%. My inadequacy to express my intent has yet again reared its ugly head.

My intent was to demonstrate a similarity of a family taking grandpa's driving privileges--and taking away one's right to possess a gun because of incompetence. While they ARE different, the intrusion on one's freedom by another is not--whether it be right or privilege.

Guy

13. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Traders,

I don't beleive your premis that giving up our firearms will make us safer.

That has been the liberals argument for years and has been proven wrong.

14. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I saw a bit on Fox News, where health experts are predicting the number of Alzheimer cases to triple with the passing of the next 40 years. I just hope every one of us has our own AR before they are banned.

15. spritc

spritc Active Member

Another dumbass liberal trying to make us feel guilty for having guns in our homes. Hey Muggs, go play on some other website where people think like you.

16. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I don't suffer from mental ilness, but my wife's husband in nuckin futz.

GneJ

17. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

RWT,

What I said was: "I have never seen any poster on this site suggest that they would give up any of their gun rights for any reason, period. No qualifications are ever given."

You are inferring something that I did not say. So, let me restate it, perhaps more clearly. If you thought it would make a safer home, neighborhood, country, etc. would you be willing to give up any of the gun rights you now have? I believe that most of the readers of this site and most gun owners would answer, "no". What do you believe?

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If a person has not been adjudicated as mentally incompetent, then no civil rights should be stripped from any law-abiding citizen.

Further, no one should be held accountable for actions of another person.

And, my guns are already kept in a safe. Why would I need to store them somewhere else?

Be very careful with compromising with mental health issues. The anti's want to seize upon this to further their goal of banning gun ownership by increasing the class of prohibited people. Make sure that there is a legal process in place wherein their rights will be protected. Not up to the whim of a bureaucrat, doctor, or an Obamacare Gun Panel. Due process of law MUST be followed.

19. Rkoetting

Rkoetting Member

If a person, upon evalauating their own circumstances, elects to surrender their own ownership/possession of weapons, that is their right. But their individual choice does not surrender the rights of anyone else. Nobody is saying that you must own a gun, but the constitution says that you cannot deny me the right to own one.

20. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Traders,

Why would anyone willingly give up any of thier rights??:

I think the premis that giving up your firearms will make you, your family or your neighborhood safer is flawed. It has been the liberals argument for years.

If you think it will make you and yours safer, you can send them to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.