1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Someone explain paper shells to me please.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vpr80, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

What is this that I keep seeing mention of "paper" shells? The hulls are paper and not plastic? Are they better? Cheaper or more expensive? etc etc

Thanks

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Are you kidding or just trying to troll?

Damn kids:)

ss

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Neither, I am just stoopid.

4. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Nevermind, question retracted....seems I am giving away my age :)

5. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

They are more expensive, AND I've never seen it PROVED that they are any better. Some people will try to convince you they are, with no proof.

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

vpr80,

A serious answer to your question. I was just having a little fun.

These are like the modern day plastic hulls except the portion that is plastic is a wax imbedded paper. Used to be that Paper hulls were all that was to be had except for the all brass hulls.

Papers are still produced by a few ammo manufacturers, but the gold standard are Federals. You get about 3 to 4 reloads before they go bad. And did I mention, that they do smell good when fired.

Plastic became a lot cheaper to manufacture and didn't have the moisture wicking problems that the paper hulls suffer from.

ss

7. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I have heard shooters claim that paper hulls shoot softer. Is this a myth or...?

8. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I load my hot meat shoot loads with them and they shoot softer if you load the correct recipe!The hotter the load the less reloads you get from them.

9. warren

warren Member

They smell good. I love to shoot them but they are more expensive no other benifit that I know of. In my reloading days I used to search out the empty hulls and reload them four or five times just because they smelled so good, they also reload very good.

warren

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I shoot mostly paper reloads and new papers. If loaded with green Dot or Red Dot, they smell soooo goood. I do not have proof but truly believe they are faster and softer. As was mentioned they do not last as long and especially so if you load them for the back fence shoots. It is mostly a nostalgia thing and brings back memories of when all shells were paper. I get a woody when I smell them ( almost)

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Teacher! Teacher! I know the answer!!!!!!!!!!!

The paper absorbs PRESSURE and that is interpreted to mean less recoil. But if smell is what you want load PB.

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

My shooting smells sometimes - and I shoot plastic.

Don Verna

13. Bob M

Bob M Member

Federal Papers loaded with 7625 is the best smelling load I have found.
    Doubles with the above should probably be illegal.
    One smoke plume per nostril...

14. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

sounds like i'm going to have to pick some up just to smell them out....although i'll admit, i really like the smell from the regular shells as well...i see guys blow out their barrels after each shot, i just put it down and enjoy the smell for a few seconds between shots

15. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Paper comes from trees.....

Curt

16. dverna

dverna Active Member

Paper is also better for the environment.

Don Verna

17. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Before you sniff, make out a will. The smoke is laden wiht CO. Just a few sniffs and you are in a lower class. CO makes you crossfire. Oh, wait!!!!!! that is another thread.

18. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

If women ever found out how good Federal paper shells smell after they've been fired, that throw away all their perfume and just rub on an empty hull.
    The downside, of course, is that the only men they'd attract would be trapshooters.

19. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

"I get a woody when I smell them" Good lord, Cucubancigar2000, do you have any idea what's gonna happen to Phizer stock, when word of this gets out?

20. fishguts

fishguts Member

1.Too many reloads and the brass is pulled off the tube and ejects and the paper tube is stuck in the chamber.

2.Primers fall out of the pocket easily.

3.Crimps loose their memory and open up in the box.

4.Too much crimp pressure and the paper tube kinks along the top of the brass.

5.The paper tube swells easily and may or may not go in or come out of the chamber easily.

6.Paper tube will crush under the wad pressure if guide not lined up properly.

The recoil is perceived as light because the pressure escapes thru the primer pocket, pinholes in the tube and along the sides of the wad.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.