1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Someone else's reloads need opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Calkidd, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Someone else

Ok, I have five boxes a friend of mine reloaded. He used all Winchester components and since he no longer shoots I bought a bunch of his components from him. He threw in the boxes just to get rid of them. I trust him and that he is competent enough to make sure the loads are correct. But I dissembled a few of them and removed the components to see what I have. I have a few concerns and I thought I would post these pictures to get y'all's opinion.

In the pictures below one of my concerns is how much the wads have been crushed. Secondly, take note how the powder is caking. Is this due to moisture or the length of time the wad has kept it under pressure? Looking at the weight it appears it was reloaded to shoot at 1200 fps using WST powder.

His crimps suck, plain and simple, this appears to be attributed by too much wad pressure thus lowering the over all stack causing the open hole in the crimp and not properly adjusting the machine.

I am not interested in discussing whether or not it is safe to shoot someone else's reloads. What I am interested in discussing is whether or not, from the facts that are presented, would these shells be ok to shoot?

Disclaimer, I completely understand the issues and possible danger with shooting someone else's reloads.

Bryan

calkidd_2008_0303.jpg

calkidd_2008_03031.jpg

View attachment 240133

[​IMG]

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Wads and crimps are fine in my opinion. I'm not familar with the powder so i can't comment on that part. I would salvage the components(minus the wads) and load your own. That way all concerns would be covered.

Matt

3. Calkidd

I thought about this, but I would be ruining 125 perfectly good AA hulls.

Bryan

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Yeah that part sucks but that's the cheapest part of the loading recipe. I have cut up more than that to be on the safe side. Just a thought.

Matt

5. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

What could go wrong?

395076969.jpg

6. Calkidd

That looks like the gun was shot with an obstruction.

I'll quote myself.

<i>"I am not interested in discussing whether or not it is safe to shoot someone else's reloads. What I am interested in discussing is whether or not, from the facts that are presented, would these shells be ok to shoot?"</I>

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

calkid, The powder caking up is no problem at all. The wad being slightly folded is a minor thing. So long as you find the data that he followed with these loads and the powder drops are correct, then shoot them up. Its can be a bit of a pain to get rid of that small hole in the new AA's. Find the right wad!!! Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

8. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

The Lyman book states, Winchester compression formed case,(not HS) Win 209 primer, 20.0gr. WST, WAA12 wad, 1 1/8 shot--1196 fps at 9,900 LUP. Your scale shows 20.8grs. This load may raise pressures a little high. I have found the HS case to have a shade less capacity. With this load, the wad would have to compress in order for the crimp to close. Cut them apart and reuse the components. Bill

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Wads slightly buckling is not a concern, the powder caking is not a concern, and the crimps look just fine to me.

You might have a look at what Bill said regarding the pressure.

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Calkidd, go back and count the fingers on your friend's hands. If he has ten fingers, then I'd say they were safe to shoot.

If on the other hand, (pun intended) he has less than ten, then I would throw those shells out with the morning trash.

Or better yet, give them to someone you dislike immensely for them to shoot. LOL

Hauxfan!

11. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Win powder is famous for "clumping" as your pics showed! If scaled okay, fine to shoot! Tom Rhoads

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Shoot 'em.

HM

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

If the powder charges appear within limits and the wads appear to be seated properly, albeit a bit deep - as others have said shoot a few from each box (assuming they are all the same recipe). Rebox the remaining 4 boxes for practice.

regards,

Jay

14. Calkidd

Thanks for the replies and PM's, this has helped out a lot. I trust this guy and his ability to make sure his powder drops are ok. He was just a little green when it came to reloading as far as adjusting the machine properly. One of the things I was told to watch out for is the depth of the crimp as this can raise the pressure if the crimp is set too deep. These are definitely practice loads.

Bryan

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I once came about a few cases of reloads from a deceased shooter. Being the nice guy that I am I gave them to a junior shooter free. A hot one expanded the chamber on his Citori trap O/U around .030. Never again!!

16. Calkidd

You're right, there is that unknown factor and chance you take when shooting someone else's reloads.

17. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

oleolliedawg, how is that even possible from a "hot" load to expand the chamber? did it have like 3 times the powder or something.

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

vpr80, it sounded awful loud. I can't ask the guy who loaded them 'cause he's dead. Let's just say I sent it to Briley for repair and it was returned "as was". I then sent it to Browning and it was repaired at no charge. One of my friends bulged the chamber on a K-80 by shooting the separated head of a Blue Magic through the barrel. Chambers bulge before they burst from high pressure!!

19. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Yes it looks like Super Target. That powder tends to clump up when compressed under the wad. Not a problem. With 1 1/8 ounces of shot 20.8 will give you every bit of 1200 fps. These will thump a bit, but I would not be afraid to shoot them.

The good thing about most of the powder clay target shooters reload with is that the bulk of the powder almost always prevents a double charge to be loaded. The components will just not fit in the hull. I say most of the powder with the exclusion of titegroup which is not bulky, and without care could be doubled.

20. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I would not be afraid to shoot them.
    Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.