1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Somebody school me on Browning forearms

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GoDawgs, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

I want to get a new forearm for my Browning Citori (it's a 1996 model). I called Browning and they are telling me that I need to send my gun to them to fit the wood to the hardware which means I won't have a gun for a month or so. I didn't think buying a forearm would be so much work.

Is it really that big of a variance from gun to gun and forearm to forearm that doing a bunch of work to fit the forearm is really necessary? I guess I expected it to be more of a bolt-on option since these guns are mass produced.

(note - i don't care about matching forearm wood to stock wood because I have a PFS)

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Metal parts can be duplicated with great precision. The machinery for duplicating wood is not nearly as precise as the machinery used to duplicate metal.

Pat Ireland

3. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

Hi Pat,
    Thanks for the response. I have checked out their website. I think I will buy it from them. But, do you think that alot of fitting is usually required? Obviously, I was hoping that I can mount my existing hardware on the new one myself since it looks fairly simple (a few screws)? I was hoping not to have to engage a local gunsmith.....

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

fitting is required. My Citori forearm has a serial number stamped on it. It has been a while since I had it apart but it is probably just like my BT99. On the BT's the wood is an intregal part of the mechanism. The wood is sandwiched between the metal hardware. The thickness of the wood between the metal parts is critical. I don't like it but it must be the cheapest way to do it.
    Also you will need special thin gunsmith screwdriver bits to keep from buggering up the screws.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

fitting new citori forearm