1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Some what new to Trapshooters.com

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Browning Girl, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browning Girl

Browning Girl TS Member

I have been reading on this forum for a while, just never took the time to post anything. I wanted to know if any one in the Indiana area went to Roachdale last weekend and how did you all do in the wind. I was there and did ok for the amount of time that I have been shooting. But when I got to the #4 station I lost it. I am not sure if I was lifting my head or just off balance from the wind down there but I would love some feedback if you were there. I got a 20-21-21-15 to get 77 out of 100. That last one killed me. I was the only girl on the first squad.
    Thanks
    Melissa AKA=(Mel)

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mel, Welcome to TS.com. and don't let last weekend get you down!!! We all have bad rounds, even more so when we are just starting out. It happens because we have doughts about our shooting ability. Just let it go and watch the target, and all we be fine. As you shoot more and get more self confidence you will improve faster than ever. Best of Luck on your shooting journey. Make sure you get your gun fitted to you properly by a rep. stock fitter and not just a local shooter (you will need a adj. butt plate). Then take a few classes to get started on basic gun mount, swing, form, hold points. It takes 3 times longer to break bad habits as it does to learn them. Its much easier to learn the correct way first. Oh Yeh, next time your shooting just don't think about the wind and only watch the targets. Learn to control your thoughts, lighten up sometimes and have fun. break em all Jeff

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Of course it helps if you would put on about 100 pounds for the windy days. Jeff didn't tell you that.

Stay positive, have fun and shoot as much as you can.

Don

4. rtclark21

rtclark21 Member

Hey Melissa, I was at Roachdale last weekend also (squad #9). The wind was a bit tricky, but have shot in gusts over double from what we saw. At one shoot the winds were so strong I didn't have to move my gun on post 5 for a right angle...the wind did it for me!

My hats off for coming out...shooting in the wind is much more challenging than ideal conditions...you know, 80 degrees, full sun, no wind. It's part of the game, need to learn to shoot in all types of conditions. I'm getting there myself, but it takes getting out there to learn to overcome.

Don't worry about the last post, happens to all of us...been there several times myself. Scores will come, you know what they say about practice!

5. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I think it is Nora Ross that teaches in her clinics to "Learn to shoot in the wind and you will beat 75% of the other shooters" Very good advice, I just wish I could learn to shoot in the wind.

6. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

If you ask anyone with grey hair in Indiana, they will know who Dennis Kingen was. 40 years ago, Dennis told me "wind affects the shooter more than the bird". I have found this to be true. Correctly set targets are not affected much at the distance a fairly experienced shooter will break them(15-17 yd.s out)even in bad wind. Keep shooting and you will start to see this. Nora Martin Ross would not shoot in heavy wind years ago, she discovered that what Dennis said was true.

7. Browning Girl

Browning Girl TS Member

Thanks everyone for the great info. I have had my gun fitted at the state shoot in Indy. I got to meet Nora at the shoot for the cure.(if that is the same Nora that had the seminar there) I didn't get to do the seminar on the fact that I had to work. But I talked to her a little and she gave a few good pointers and I even got to watch her in action. Great person.

I have only been shooting for about 3 1/2 months and love it. If any of you in Indy ever see me out there and have any pointers I am one of those people who are a sponge. I can never get enough advice even if I heard it before. Keep them coming.
    As far as gaining 100 pounds, I will pass, I work hard to keep that girlish figure. I will get some lead shoes or something. HA Love it.
    Thanks
    Mel

8. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Mel I shot my first targets in 1948. My advice is to watch whose giving advice as they all mean well but they can also mess with your mind. Watch the best shooters on the field and see how they do it. If you see something you like try it. If it don't work for you don't pursue it, try something else. Thats the best advice I can give you since you have had your gun fitted to you. If your gun is fitted right, you should be able to look at the bird, pull the trigger and it will break. Your mind will tell you when to pull the trigger. Good luck with your shooting.

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Don, Am I missing something about shooting at Roachdale!!! I'm getting the feeling that it gets "Real" Windy around there???

Mel, Bird30 has some good advise as well. You have to find out what works for you, not someone else. Self analizing your game is a must. You have to find out what your doing wrong (on any given day) before you can fix it. Otherwise only a fool would keep doing the same thing over and over and expect different results. Like I said good Luck on "Your Journey" for type of gun,shells,shot size,favorite shells, I'm sure you get the idea. Don't forget to have fun along the way. break em all Jeff

10. Eric XT

Eric XT TS Member

I didn't shoot at Roachdale but I shot at Glen Park last Sunday and it was windy. I thought I was going to shoot good cause the wind would blow the target into my shot but I ended up with 84 singles and I started off good I got a 24 then the bottom fell out. Then the same happened with handicap I started off with a 25 then messed up the next round ended with another 84 same as my singles. Doubles I don't want to talk about my score but I still had fun I won $12.00 and got to shoot singles with my mom it was her first ATA shoot.

11. Browning Girl

Browning Girl TS Member

Eric XT, how did your mom do? I bet she loved it. I have been trying to get my dad to come shoot with me but he always seems to be to busy at this time. But I will get him out there soon I hope.

Mel

12. Eric XT

Eric XT TS Member

Mel, my mom had a 66. She had fun and she can't wait till the next shoot on the 4th. I hope it's not windy or cold by then. How long have you been shooting?

Eric

13. Browning Girl

Browning Girl TS Member

Just a little over 3 1/2 months

14. Eric XT

Eric XT TS Member

77 was good for only shooting 3 months and for how windy it was last Sunday.

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.