1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SOME VIC REINDER STORIES!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i'm still on vacation, was thinking of vic this morning. here are a few stories.
    the vickster told me this story years ago. in the late 60's vic was teaching at the university of wisconsin- milwaukee campus. there were lots of protesters due to the vietnam war going on throughout the country. he was teaching his class and suddenly a bunch of protesters came into his room and errased his blackboard. they ran out, the next day vic got two rolls of quarters and put one in each hand, walking around all day holding his fist waiting for the protesters to come back. he was going to put them down for the count.

second story- i ran into vic at the grand in the 80's and as i was walking and talking with him down the main midway, people were coming up to vic asking for his autograph. vic politely gave people his autograph, but he honestly hated doing it. truth be told he was embarrased, couldn't understand why anyone would want his autograph. later during the day, i saw vic again, told him i found a man with a brand new model 31 tc forearm that he would sell vic for $20.00. vic asked me why would i want it? i said vic, your forearm is broken. said it doesn't affect the way it shoots.

third story- vic never owned a house, he rented. one day he met his new landlord and was asked what those containers were in the basement? he said gun powder. make a long story short, vic had to move. vic sees me at the gun club, asked me if i would like his entire collection of sportman review magazines? said i sure wood. so i go to his residence, i thought i was in a museum. leather shell bags that he won over the years, brand new shooting vest that he won. list goes on and on. i asked vic, why don't you use a new leather bag, your awol bag that you use is full of holes? he said my current bag is good enough. same thing with all the shooting vest.

4th story- i asked vic if i could put a barrel reader through his 31 tc. he said ok, but said i don't really care what choke it was in thousands, all i know it's a full choke. by the way he used 28 inch barrel, reason being, that's the barrel that came with the gun. it measured 45 thousands. vic could of cared less. i said vic are you aware that you have a bulge in your barrel. said i think that happened when part of a wad most of stuck in the barrel.

5th story- some members of the gun club decided to chip in and purchase an over and under for vic to shoot doubles with, instead of pumping them. truth be told he hated when someone would say, as good of a doubles shooter as you are, just think how good you could of been with an o/u? they gave vic this o/u as a gift. shot it a couple of times, could not hit anything with it, so he sold it and purchase a remington typewriter.

6th story- vic always started on station #5. he thought he had an advantage seeing 5 targets before he shot. the "lets see one" target, and the next 4. one day a shooter to vic's right would constintly be moving around while vic was attempting to shoot. vic put his gun down, told the guy, next time he moved while he was shooting, he was going to shoot his leg. the guy never moved again.
    steve balistreri

2. kgunner

kgunner TS Member

You had to know Vic to believe him. Waukesha Gun Club was HIS club and he ran it like a dictator for many years. Woe to those who thought otherwise. He always had a pocket full of the same 4 or 5 jokes...some without the punch line. Whenever he saw more than a couple of people together he would rush over to tell his dreaded "coalminer" joke and it got so we would scatter in fear like a covey of quail at his approach.

Perhaps my favorite story of Vic took place at the Wisconsin State Shoot sometime in the 80's. He was a freak about keeping HIS club clean and was always picking up paper, cans etc. There was a porch by the club and several shooters were sitting there smoking and throwing the butts on the ground. Vic walked over, bent down, picked up the butts and said, "I hope you bastards all die of lung cancer."

So many stories so little time. But, don't forget that he was always there to help get a new shooter get started and assist shooters in a slump.

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

My very first Iowa State Shoot back in the 70's and we're getting ready to shoot doubles.

Here comes this older guy with what looked to be an 870 pump gun. Turns out it was a Model 31 Remington.

My exact words to myself were.........."What the hell's he going to do with that thing".

Remember, I have no idea who this man is...........

He ended up breaking 97 out of 100 and won out of state I do believe. I later found out who he was.......

One of my favorite stories......

Talk about eating humble pie.......I deserved it though for prejudging someone.

Hauxfan!

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Haux: Ol Vic would turn over in his grave. To call his beloved 31TC an 870 is something he could not handle! I remember when someone asked Vic why he shot a pump for doubles his comeback was always; "You have to do something between shots , so you might as well pump the gun". Makes sense to me, but shooting a release in a pump gun for doubles would indeed drive one to drink! Ed

5. gordy h

gordy h Member

I new Vic when we shot 30 some years ago. The other day I was in a antque shop north west Wi. and found a Sportsman Review April 10 th 1948, with Vic on the cover,
    It's now in my trophy cabnet. Butch H

6. CharlieW

CharlieW TS Member

Back in the early 70's I was new at this trap shooting and attend my first state shoot. I was squaded at post 4 and was waiting to shoot my first ever target at singles. I was so nerveous I could not even spit. I got on my post waiting for the rest of the squad, when this guy came along and stood at post 5 he carried this shotgun that looked as if it wouldn't hold to gether for one shot. It had tape and everything else on it not only that but he had a coffee can full of what I thought was parts it was. I guess I stared to long because he turned to me and asked if I had never seen a coffee can before. Only later I learned who he was. He also won. Later I introduced my self out of curiosty and had to listen to several something called jokes. Good times.

Dave Worthing

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

esoxhunter, you got that right. And I goofed........I knew full well it was a Model 31, I just forgot when I was relating the story.

Old age is hell, don't go there..............Of course........It does beat the altenative.......lol

I will go back and fix my story......

Hauxfan!

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

He was on my squad at the State skeet shoot once. With the same gun.

Full choke smoke on high one, wow. And a release trigger pump for doubles.

click(set trigger), bang, shuck, click, bang. Geez.

I parked on the west end next to the target shed once. I guess I was too close to the door for his liking. He came shuffling by, looked at me, and said "you know, sonny, if you move your car forward 2 feet, the fork lift should be able to get you plumb dead center!"

I chuckled, and said "Vic, all you had to say was move the car!"

HM

9. senior smoke

during the state shoot at waukesha, a couple years before vic passed away, vic and i were sitting in front of the club house. i asked vic if he was a young man again, how do you think you would do in shooting against alot of these hot shots with the expensive guns etc. he said, he thought he would do ok. i asked him was the reason he was so good due to he was a great athlete? he said i was never a great athlete. i said what was the difference between you and other shooters than? he said most shooters lose targets from the neck up. i asked him if he ever got nervous shooting in a shoot off? he said all the time. I said do you have any secrets on how you handled the pressure? he said if he felt he was getting nervous, he would either not look at anyone elses targets, or he would just look at the ground and say the word no over and over again, until he heard the shooter to his left closing his gun. i asked him who did he fear when he went to a shoot? he said a man with a work worn gun, with the blueing off of it. he said he never feared the man or woman with a shiny new gun, felt they probably didn't have the gun long enough to really know how to shoot it. of all the great shooters, vic felt ned lilly was one great shooter that he truly respected. i asked who is the greast shooter you ever saw? he said there were 2 farmers, a father in son by the name of arlo hoon, can't remember the son's name. they shot winchester 97's that they kept in the barn. they had rust on them but they still worked. he said if these 2 shooters would have taken ATA shooting seriously, the sky was the limit. just before vic died, he was shooting, and a young guy on the line stoped the squad and told the puller, what he felt the rule was. vic stepped in and told the young fella, that he was incorrect, and the rule states, this and that. the guy sarcasticly said to vic, well how do you know the rules? he said because i "wrote the damm book"
    steve balistreri

10. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Vic was nearing end of his career when I started shooting, saw him around but never shot or talked with him until about my second year shooting. I was squadded with him at a regular ATA shoot in Doubles finally. I was shooting pretty good, had just won club champion in doubles and my Plus Combo was feeling good. I kind of set a little personal goal to beat Vic that day. I shot after him on the squad, so I was able to get a good look at his targets. I was amazed at how he could pump that gun and take targets. He was slowing and taking the last target sometimes only 2 feet or less off the carpet. Well I shot a low 90's, ole Vic posted a 98 to whoop the whole field. We were up at the score sheet looking at the scores, and I said “you shoot that pump gun pretty good" his reply, "well you know there is nothing better to do between targets anyway"

GS

11. kolar12

kolar12 Member

I was doing some research in the '70s on a trophy from a shoot at the old Milwaukee Gun Club. I was trying to find out some info about the people whos names were on the trophy. I decided to go ask Vic. Drove out to Waukesha and there he was working on one of the old tractors we had. Before I could ask him a question he said "pick up that wrench and lift this sickle cutter so I an get the bolt in." By the time I got done I was full of grease. Talking with him was always an experience! Somehow it was never free.

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I never had the honor of meeting Mr. Reinders...but I was lucky enough to meet Rudy Etchen...what a heck of a nice guy

13. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Kolar12: Did you have the opportunity to shoot at the Milwaukee Gun Club? What a beautiful old clubhouse that was located on the shores of Lake Michigan. What a shame that it had to close. But with the price of real estate in that location and the constant political opposition to it being a gun club in a very upscale neighborhood; one knew that it was just a matter of time before it would close. Another piece of history that has vanished. Ed

14. Ertz

Ertz Member

Keep them coming boys and girls. This is the best thread here in a long time.

15. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Shooting at the Grand American in 1986, my family and I were staying at the same motel as Vic and Tommy. Vic had to get out of the room and walk a little at regular intervals to keep things from "seizing up". One night about ten o'clock Vic came cruising past my open door totally oblivious to Tommy's screaming after him to come back to the room and take a phone call. He was, after all, stone deaf. We stopped him and got him pointed back toward his room when he decided to let us know what it was really like to be "old". Obviously, he said the hearing goes first. After that, you know you're really old when you forget to zip up after taking a whiz. After that, you know you're really, really old when you forget to zip down before taking a whiz. With that little report having been delivered, he toodled off to take his phone call. Vintage Vic. The next night he was on the shootoff line competing for a Senior Vet trophy at 11:00PM.

Hell of a shooter - RIP

Mike Mann

16. senior smoke

two friends of mine signed up to shoot the handicap event at the state shoot. only position 5 was open when they signed up. they are waiting to toe the line, and position 5 shooter is not there. suddenly they see vic with his gun and awol bag full of shells hobbling towards them. they are irratated that vic was late. without them saying a word, vic walks right up to them, points his finger in their faces and said, "if you don't want to wait, then don't sign up with a cripple"

one night vic calls me at home, says he won an 870 tb at a shoot. asked me if i wanted to buy it? i said i would give him $200.00 for it. he said sold! next day i pay him for the gun, it's new in the box. some guy said to vic, you know this tb is probably worth more than $200.00. vic sticks out his hand to me and said then give me more.

i am shooting a 50 target winter event on a sunday, vic is on the squad shooting terrible. he broke a 12 and a 13. i ask vic what was wrong, he said not feeling good at all. suddenly, he gets cramps in both legs and me and another guy have to carry vic off the line. i told my friend, poor vic, seems like he can't shoot anymore. next sunday, vic is shooting the same event with us, he breaks a 50. i said last week you broke a 25 out of 50, this week 50 out of 50. before i could say another word, he said" there my targets, i paid for them, i'll do what ever i want with my targets"

a friend and i just got off the line at the state shoot. i broke a 98 which was a fantastic score for me. i see vic hobbling past me with his 31tc and his awol bag full of holes and shells. i said to my friend, poor vic, not good when you get old. i said must be hard when at one time you were one of the best shooters in the world. later that day i am at the score board, vic had a 99 and beat me by 1 target.

one state shoot vic is very sick, color of his face was almost yellow. in the sign up area vic is laying on a couch. the place is almost empty by this time, a friend of mine said i think vic died. we go up to vic, he did look like he possibly passed away. my friend said try to wake him. i put my hand on his shoulder and shoke him and said "vic are you ok" no response. i started to get nervous, i shake him harder this time, "vic are you ok" no response again. i am ready to get management to call an ambulance or a hearse. my friend violently shakes vic, his eyes open up" vic starts yelling" what the hell is wrong with you, i was trying to get some sleep for the shoot off later on"

steve balistreri

17. senior smoke

when vic passed away i told a friend that vic died. i said somewhere vic is shooting. he said if he is, he's looking up! truth be told, vic ran the gun club like a dictator. some people will disagree, but sometimes the buck has to stop here, with someone, which was vic. one nice thing when vic was in charge, you knew from shoot to shoot, things would not change and there would be no surprises. the older vic got, the friendlier he became. people who knew him in the earlier years have said differntly. one thing he really cared about was the sport of trapshooting and his club. he called a spade a spade, no beating around the bush with vic.

here are my last few stories about the vic- in 1972 i attended my first waukesha gun club annual meeting. place was filled to the rafters. some guy raises his hand, vics calls on him and the guy said" vic could we install another skeet field?" vic says NO, next!

first time i walk into the waukesha gun club i talk to the mgr and take out a membership. they had just received their first soda machine. all it had was coke in it. i asked the mgr, if we could also get orange soda in the machine? the mgr said , that i would have to talk to vic about that. vic comes walking in, i introduce myself as just taking out a new membership. i asked him if we could get orange soda in the machine? he points his finger in my face, said" if you don't like shooting here, shoot at boxhorns! the next week i come to the club, the soda machine had root beer in the machine. i asked the mgr why do we have root beer? he said that is vic's favorite!

the stories go on and on. vic was very proud of the waukesha gun club. when he wrote monthly in trap and field, he always made reference to this club. the waukesha gun at one time had more members than any other gun club. because of vic's articles, it was known throughout the world. this is a great club with history. so many great shooters shot their over the years, along with politicians, movie stars etc. even Roy Rogers shot their, and he had his horse trigger with him, giving the little kids the opportunity to sit on top of trigger and he would walk them around on the west end of the grounds. my shooting career is on the down side as i type these words, but i hope other shooters new to this sport can enjoy the sport like i have. there has always been something special about the waukesha gun club. if you ever go there, look out at the trap line, look west and immagine that you are standing on ground that some of the best shooters in the world have shoot their. the only other place i got the same feeling was at the grand in ohio. i hope you enjoyed this thread. vic may not have been the most socialable person, but you had to respect his shooting ability as well as what he did for the sport, enough said.
    steve balistreri

18. kgunner

kgunner TS Member

Back in the 1970's there was a shooter who was a friend (best not to mention his name) of Vic who was quite high in both the ATA and state organizations. He was having some trouble with his marriage and had found another woman companion. He was in a Thursday night league and would bring his woman friend along who would wait while he shot. Vic, however, would not allow this this "fallen woman" in HIS club house or on HIS grounds so she had to stay in the car.

Once asked Vic about if he used a release because of flinching problems. He said he flinced so bad he had to pull the trigger of his Model 31 close the action and then bring it to his shoulder. Also said he flinched on a typewriter and even sometimes walking up or down a set of stairs.

Vic was obsessed with making the targets as difficult as possible. He made sure all the traps were set differently in height from field to field in ATA competion and that they threw nothing less than a 3 hole 52 yard target. One time he went to Illinois and complained to shoot management about the "soft" targets and was told "you are not in Waukesha now so either shoot them or go home."

One of the last times I shot with Vic was at the Waukesha Club Championship. He broke about a 13 on the first trap and shot the trap house at least 3 or 4 times. He walked off the line and said, "I know what to do but I can't do it anymore." I was on the WTA board that year and Vic looked so bad we were planning to dedicate the State Shoot as a memorial to Vic. Well, he fooled us. Got his medication straighten out, won the handicap at Illinois that year broke a 100 at the Grand Saturday and tied his class with 199 in the clay target (Wednesday) championship.

19. IM390

IM390 Member

I heard one Monday morning there was a large number of students in his class dozing or doing things other than studying, and Vic had seen this in his class before, so as he lectured he slowly walked to the back of the room and discharged a 12 gauge blank round. He didn't have to worry about daydreamers after that.

#2 His cousin Roland worked in Elm Grove and he told me a hunting story of him and Vic rabbit hunting in Iowaay when they were teenagers. They shared a single shot .22 and while Roland would walk a fence line with the gun, Vic would try to kick up a rabbit out of the hay. Every hour they would trade places. Finally one took off and was nailed in the head at 30 yards. What a shot, he exclaimed. I never did find out who actually shot the rabbit because when Vic told the story, he had apparently traded places. Must be bragging rights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.