1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Some Shooters INSIST on Helping You!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Onceabum, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

This has happened to many of you, especially if you’ve been
    shooting trap for any length of time. Break the first three traps and
    there’s a good chance someone will remind you that breaking the last twenty five will give you a hundred straight.

I remember, years ago, trying for my first 100 straight when, after breaking ninety straight targets, a squad member (a friend?) told me, as we were changing stations, that my shooting had slowed down and I might want to speed up some. Well, he must have been right because I kicked it up and really smoked SIX of the last ten targets.

I learned something that day, about shooting AND about friends.

BB

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Booger,

Do you inhale or exhale when you pull the trigger?

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

That goes on all the time. Its not only a shooting game but also a mind game. People just love to mess with your head and mind. They do that to get you off your game and to make you drop targets. When they do it to you just return the favor. Say something about how they are shooting.

4. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

You have to know the shooters you are shooting with. Some shooters shoot their best with some encouragement. Some shooters want to be left alone and not spoken to. Some shooters want advice when they are having a problem, some want you to keep your mouth shut. You can joke with some shooters when they are having a bad round. With others you don't dare.

5. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

It is called Gamemenship. Post-2

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

Some people can only raise themselves up by pushing those around them down.

Don Verna

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Wait until you get a squad of 20 yard shooters coming behind you, then your in for a real treat ... They will tell you just what you did wrong when you missed the target from 27 yards in a Hurricane and they want you to take them seriously ... Stand there and wait until they take the line and watch how they are trying to not move the speaker until you walk away ... Happens all the time ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Not too long ago, after shooting a round that was neither bad nor good, I had someone come up to me and say, "Would you like a few pointers?" I said, "No."

I haven't been bothered since.

9. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

There have been times when I see new shooters come and shoot 3 birds in 25.
    I want to help them, but I realize three things:

I am a crappy trap shooter.
    They have not asked anyone for help.
    A lot of free advice is worth the price of admission.

I want to help them so they come back, in addition to the fact that I am curious as to how they are missing. All I have to do is remember that I recently shot a HC 16 and I am sure there are people who can't figure out how I did that badly. It is all relative.

I am master rifle & pistol shooter, but have had some sincere offers from sharpshooter class shooters who think they can help me, I will still listen to them if I think they are not trying to mess with me, but only AFTER the match is over. If you are leading and the second place shooter comes over to tell you how good you are shooting and that you will probably win the event, they are obviously not sincere.

10. otnot

otnot Active Member

Well I never let Yukon forget the time he tried to mess me up after 195 straight. As I was changing stations he remarked that I only had 5 more to go. Well I broke them.

This last year I got the chance to pay him back. He was 195 straight and as I changed posts I stopped behind him and told him not to think about anything but this. And then I grabbed him by the -ss. But he ran them too.

A fellow from Fairbanks wasn't quite so lucky this fall. When a broken target came out old Yukon remarked that a real man would have shot it anyway. He missed the next target but proceeded to kick our butts the rest of the weekend.

The squad I shoot with you better have a thick skin and steady nerves and a good sense of humor or you wouldn't enjoy it and you won't shoot good scores.

11. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

There are those who are trying to physch you out and then there are those who genuinely want to help.

I have some good ways to handle the physch out artists. One of my favorites..

Are you so insecure about your own abilities you feel the need to try and get in my head? Don't worry about it, I will help you with any problems you have let's sit down and you tell me what's worrying you.

Or, You know guy I've been shot at, shot at and hit, stabbed at and stabbed, hit over the head with a crow bar, ran over by a car, sued 3 times for using excessive force, married 5 times, and YOU think you can mess with me? LMAO And I can be very convincing with that one cause it's all true.

But the guy who does aggravate me, and I have to try hard not to let it bother me, is the guy who just started shooting well and thinks he needs to help everyone he see's. He just shot his first 100 or even 50 and now he's Phil Kiner. I've shot a few good scores but don't wear patches all over my vest, none in fact, no problem for those that do I just don't feel the need. Besides I could shoot a 72 just as easy as a 100 this time out, I'm old and beat up. So he see's me and thinks I could use his help. Kinda like a brand new born again Christian ( I have no problems with Christians I am one myself) he is so filled up with it he just has to spread it around. He means no harm and I try to listen but he's just too damned enthusiastic, he just hasn't had his head stepped on enough times and had the rug pulled right out from under him for me to listen to very long. You guys know what I mean?

Anyway people is the reason I go to the trap range. ( yes I should have used are but didn't want to}

12. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

The only time I step in uninvited at the gun club is when its a safety issue. I have a decent understanding of the basics and will help with those if asked.

Rich Lewis Oxford Gun Club Director

13. KRK32

KRK32 Member

We have a guy at our club if were shooting off and shoot over the bird he will tell you the opposite if you was behind he says you was in front some people still take his word when he tells them where they shot and are even further off the next time. The rest of us know hes full of crap. Kirk

14. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Booger everyone on this site has been trying to help you for a long time. You need the help! Thats what kitty thinks!

15. Janet

Janet TS Member

You guys think you have it bad. Being a lady shooter, I have spent all of my shooting life listening or at least pretending to listen to unsoliciated advice from the male gender.

The best retort I found was, why do you ask? Seriously though if I wanted advice, I went to the great shooters who were always willing to give you a heads up if you asked.

16. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

After close to 40 years of shooting trap I only help the people that ask .

ALF

17. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

My dad had some great advice years ago... the ones to except advice from is the ones that have an average at the top of the game look on score boards ... if the league is out of 25 24.5 and up not a 19 ...if you know what I mean ... remember it takes all kinds I just hope you keep shooting!!!

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

You're all focusing on negative thoughts. You don't have to take instruction from anybody unless it's in a positive atmosphere and you are in a positive attitude. Keep the good - ignore the rest.

I think it's poor sportsmanship to talk about scores with another shooter until he/she is done for that event. If someone who is struggling wants help, they'll ask.

19. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I've only been shooting trap a couple of years. Only had one shooter I though was trying to "get in my head." We were shooting a 200 singles event and both were straight on the first ninety of the hundred. On the next to the last post, he started talking to me. We both got the first hundred, and I just smiled and ignored him.

On the second hundred, he missed one on the first trap, then three more during the rest of the event. I got the second hundred, too, and he never said anything else to me except polite conversation and congratulations. I think he was just feeling pressure during the first hundred and "acted out" because of it.

I mostly shoot in AA or, if I happen to get lucky, A, but still have well-meaning shooters offering advice on singles. I simply listen politely and thank them for having an interest in a relatively new shooter.

Now with caps and doubles, I appreciate the advice-I often start well in an event, but, as one shooter said at the Grand, I "fall apart spectacularly!" I listen to the advice and, if I can, I incorporate it-if not, I still thank them for being interested enough to offer it.

Some of the advice, like from Jim Walker, Keith Heeg, Jimmy Brown, Mike Dickman, Karen, Lucky, and others has been invaluable to me and I very much appreciate their willingness to offer it.

One of the really nice things about the Silver Dollar is the chance to meet, talk with and shoot with some of the great shooters in the sport.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.