1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Some Ranges Are Getting Way Too Expensive

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smoking357, Jun 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

The cost of this sport is getting out of hand at some ranges.

I see some ranges charging $100 or $200 "memberships" just to get a discounted per-round rate of $6 or $7, while the non-member rate is $10.

This can't continue, people. While a serviceable trap gun can be had for $250, shells are $6.00, a box, for the cheap stuff. It should not cost $64.00 for 100. A round should cost no more than $5.50, making the afternoon still quite expensive at $46.00 for 100. Even at that price, most people can only afford that no more frequently than once a month, if that. Anything above the $5.00 mark is high and will only attract occasional shooters.

Cost containment must be the primary goal of those who work for the advancement of this sport.

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Boise Gun Club gets $7.50 for a round for non members & $50 to join?? I think thats high

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Almost every gub club in central Pennsylvania charges $6.00 for 50 targets and trap is open to the public. One local club gives its members a 50-cent discount.

Ed

4. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

.....As they drive up in $50k suv and drag out a couple of $10k guns.

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Delaware - Wilmington TA.....$50.00 yearly......$4.00 for members and $5.00 for non's.

Curt as I drive up in a '08 Silverado LZ 4WD, shoot factory ammo and still think it's overpriced by $3.00 per round.

So there...I've said it and now feel much better!!

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

So I guess it,s cheap ?? Or maybe the car/gun was a one time thing you know something you work for ?? I don,t shoot much practice anymore five and six bucks a round is to dam high . Remember it,s the same price if you walk in and borrow a gun . Kind of a turn off to a new shooter you think .

7. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Don't forget the $500k motor home. It amazes me every time I see one of these threads.

Maybe if we cry loud enough our savior obammy will subsidize our dying sport. I mean why stop at just owning GM and looking even harder at the utilities.

Everyone wants $3 rounds, all new facilities and even a hull boy to pick up and GIVE back the empties for nothing. Stuff aint free the last time I looked.

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Then don't come to Markham Park in S. Florida. It's a public facility and it's $7.25 a round and $8 a box for ammo. If you come out on a weekend take a number and wait your turn, it's that crowded.

Eric

9. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

And the only thing we have to look forward to is more clubs to close due to encroachment of society, or high operating expenses, you will see prices go higher due to greater demand of facilities. My club has a 1000 set membership but is at 1045 and we still have 2 pages of names on the waiting list. Our 47 acres supports 4 traps, 100, 200 yard ranges, archery, sporting clays, and several pistol berms.

We have been looking to relocate since the 70's and are still talking about it. It would appear that while it takes only 50 acres or so to support a club, it would take at least 4 sections surround the club to act as a buffer against encroachment, and even that is not going to be a good guarantee of anything. I wonder if we get national healthcare if the government will declare our shooting sports as hazardous activities and then be authorized to tax and regulate it out of existance. After all the government has the obligation to keep us safe, provide for the "general welfare."

10. batman1004

batman1004 TS Member

their are a lot of poor and middle class people that would love to shoot trap again I am one of them lost job and just can't afford to shoot price should be no more than $3.00 per round for members and $5.00 for top shells not $5.00 per round and $6.00 for cheap shells which none are good from 27yd.line the people who have the $12,000 combo and $250,000 motorhome should not complain about the price because they can afford it but it only affects us P ONS if the price keeps going up you will see a poorer turn out and att. is down at most shoots now lets get on the shell co. and make them lower prices or just don't buy factory ammo g3

11. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

We own our property so we don't pay rent. Our rangemasters are volunteers. It costs us over $4.00 to put 25 targets in the air based on 12,000 rounds per year including amortization of equipment. Our dues are $100.00 per year and that money goes into a reserve fund to make sure we have enough money to fight any legal or enviromental challenge and/or to pay the costs of renewing our operating permit every 10 years with the county. Because we are located in Los Angeles County, it would not surprise me if that renewal were to cost $100,000 10 years down the road.

If we operated as a commecial range, it would cost close to $6.00 per round. Like golf, skiing, bass fishing, etc, trap is an expensive sport. To expect it to be otherwise is just unrealistic.

12. skeet100

skeet100 Member

I think costs are hurting shooting a lot more than some shooters think. I do see folks with more money than God but they are not the majority.

As to $10,000 guns and complaining about costs: The way I see that is a good gun, in well maintained condition, is an investment like a house. The costs for ammo and targets is like taxes and the power bill, it's a necessity but it is an expense with out return except for the joy it brings. To that end we fight to control expenses that we are not able to consider an investment and tend to spend more on things we expect to have appreciating value.

But what do I know……….Obama didn’t choose me to be in his cabinet.

13. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Stop at Vienna Fish & Game Club off SR193 in Vienna, OH (northeast Ohio). Trap is $3.00 for non members, same as members, advice is free. We shoot Wednesdays & Sundays. We try to keep the price reasonable in order to keep the sport alive. BT-100dc

14. darwinbene

darwinbene Member

Out here in Yuma, CO we had to raise prices just this past Monday night, trap club meeting. Targets will be almost $10.00/cs. Our membership is $40/year, shooting for members is $3.00/25 and non-members $4.00/25. Our ATA targets will be thrown on two trap fields, instead of four. Hire trap help at $7.00/hr for about 8 hours +-. The reason for hiring help is because membership can't seem to volunteer to help with events, except for about 3/4 members out of maybe 10/15 members. Works the hell out of the 3/4 members.

It is amazing that people want a membership just so they can shoot cheap targets. When it comes time to work at our 3 ATA events of the year "don't ask me, I am to busy" or don't bother me. A crew of 5/7 people would be fantastic. This past Sunday was our Zone Qualifier and had it not been for a neighboring trap club of 4/5 helping out the 3 members, one wife and older son, we couldn't have done it.

So, for the next ATA shoot, 7/19/09 prices will be more per 100 targes,$25.50, to cover the cost of hired help and higher targets. So, if that is getting to expensive, for our part of the world, then we won't be shooting any more ATA targets. And another ones bites the dust. Darwin

15. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

At Oak Park SC here in NE Ill, the cost is $2.50/25. It just went up a little while ago from $2.00. The members keep score, pull, load, etc. I guess that isn't too bad. No $500,000 motor Homes or $10,000 trap guns though.

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

vote with your wallet.

17. Rick Barker

The circumstances "darinbene" described in Yuma has already happened at Aurora Gun Club, Aurora, CO. They can not get a ATA chairperson, thus they have cancelled all 2009 shoots. Targets cost has risen and unable to get decent help. Costs is driving off non members.

18. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I just love to hear you guys bitch about prices!

Why don't you all get together and open your own club? Go out and get a real long lease on some land, put up a club house, install some traps and hire some help. Don't forget to pay your utilities, taxes, insrance, and loan costs!

At $25 a year membership and $3 for 25 birds...how long do you think it will take for the club to go broke?

I remember the $2.50 a box for AAs and $1.50 for a round of 25....but esarning $4/hour was really big money then!

19. Rick Barker

To Ahab
    I for one, am not bitching about prices, simply explaining the circumstances that are causing the demise of club shoots. I could not give a hang if a person pays 10,000 dollars or 10.00 for their shotgun, 500,000 for a bus or the fact that shells now cost over 8.00 for premium brands. Yes, I two remember when shells were running 2.50 to 3.00 a box as were a round of birds. Sure land is expensive to own and maintain.

Not all clubs are always thinking right when it comes to promoting the contiunation of the club and the shooting displicines.

Example: A club locally, mines the lead in its fields. Lets the reclaimer buy all the shot instead of reselling it to the shooters. Price of lead goes up. Shooters have no outlet for cheaper lead by buying from the club. Shooting dries up. By the way, the lead, every bit of it, got shipped off to foreign soil.

Here in Colorado, we have lost some 5-6 ATA shooting locations right here in Colorado, in the last 20 years. One of the worst losses was the Denver Mile Hi, which used to host the Colorado State Shoot. The purpose of this forum should be a way to air these problems and find a way to fix the problem.

It very may well be that the "rich guns" form their own clubs, but usually the clubs are very exclusive. We need to keep clubs of all sizes operating so that we can all continue to enjoy our sport.

20. Boxer

Boxer TS Member

I have to give Kudos to Downers Grove Sportsmen Club, I am a member (75.00) per year and I shoot for 4.00 a round and they only charge 2.00 a round for kid's cost me and my son with reloading and 6.00 a round about 81.00 to shoot 6 rounds each. Pretty damn cheap for a days entertainment and we both have a great time! Thank's DGSC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.