1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Some personal observations on flinching

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by oleolliedawg, Nov 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Unfortunatly, many "cures" have a short lifespan. A release is one that usually always works!!

2. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

John,

How much would a release trigger cost for your gun??

FRedmon

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

The late and great Don Zutz recommended a release trigger for trapshooting. This meant for any and all...a more logical and natural way to shoot. I have shot a pull for years; when I try a release, I find it just works so much better...easier to be smoother and spend all focal energy looking at the target...or more energy. I'm going over to that "dark side"...heck, for other games I shoot a pull, no problem.

4. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

When your shooting gets so stinking bad that you dread shooting, you'll be thankful that release trigger are available to help cure your flinching ills.

I, too, was reluctant initially to switch to a release trigger because I felt that there was some stigma attached to using a release trigger. Once I tried a release trigger in one of my guns, all doubts quickly went out the window.

Why not give it a try? You can have an autoloader converted to release for about $125 to $150, or you can get a drop-in release sear for Beretta autos for about $50 and do it yourself. Another alternative is to buy a trigger assembly for an autoloader with release already installed. Try it out and see if you like it. If you don't like it, you can probably resell it for the same amount you paid for it. What have you got to lose........ except your flinch?

Easystreet

5. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

If all guns were normally release there would be those that would say the way to cure the flinch is to get a pull trigger. I've shoty just a few release triggers and I've also seen people flinch shooting them.

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Of course one can shoot using a release; lose the sight picture and one is likely to flinch. But try and not lose that picture in the first place; the release makes obtaining the picture and keeping the gun steady for the important nano-second much easier for klutzy shooters like myself.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

John- If shooting fast works for you, do it. I suspect it will only be a temporary cure. If you live anywhere near the Blur Ridge Mountains, I know where you could borrow a gun with a release for 6-12 months and see if it works for you. I have a BT-99 with a release that I have loaned to several others.

Pat Ireland

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I have problems from time to time with flinching, but mine is a target acquasition flinch. My brain will simply not let me shoot if I don't have the right picture.

It seems to come and go and usually doesn't stick around long.

This happens no matter what guage gun I'm shooting.

A release for me is such a unnatural thing, that I'd probably have to give up trap shooting if it came down to that.

ec90t

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A release trigger only treats the symtoms of the dreaded flinch. The underlying cause may still be there, festering and getting ready to rear its ugly head at the most unoptortune time. HMB

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

HMB, I'll gladly keep waiting for that unopportune time when my devastating flinch shows up with a release. I sure beats my two step off the station when I try to pull a trigger-but I've only been shooting release for over 35 years!!

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

olliedawg, you beat me to it.

I've also been shooting a release for over 35 years and am still waiting for those dreaded "inopportune problems" to pop up.

Every time I think I can go back to a pull, one or two round of trap with a pull trigger gets me right back to reality.....

John, I won't tell you that you need to go to a release........Either flinching or not flinching will tell you if that is the case or not.

Good Luck!

Hauxfan!

12. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I feel flinching is a "disease" that affects each shooter in different ways. (Either in one way or a combination of ways). I know in my case, when I caught that dreaded "flinch disease", it progressed into a nightmare as time went on. To start off you may flinch due to recoil, failure to see the target properly, etc., etc. You then miss several targets and your scores are not what they used to be. You then get a ton of advice and take these sure fire techniques to alleviate the flinch, out to your local gun club. They don't seem to do the trick and this causes one to try harder and try even more techniques given to you by well meaning shooters. Guess what?? You flinch even more and your scores get worse. Now, you subconsciously panic and try all the mechanical tricks; i.e. different gun, make the trigger pull lighter or heavier, change shooting glasses, make excuses as why you couldn't pull the trigger, (Gun malfunction was my favorite), and on and on. Finally you make a choice. #1. Quit shooting. #2. Keep shooting bad scores and be frustrated or #3. Release trigger. Years ago, I always said, "I will quit shooting before I go to a release trigger". Well, 1 1/2 years ago I had to make the choice. I decided to go to the release; as I didn't want to quit shooting. It was the best thing I ever did!! Go to the release and never look back. Ed

13. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

John, save your pennies and dimes and stop shooting league until you can afford a "release." I'm here to tell you that it will give you new life in your shooting. I suffered through awful flinches for three years..lying,denying I had this issue. I would flinch 4 to 5 times per one hundred.

After the Central Grand in Michigan,I decided to make the change and go to a release triger. Within a few weeks my singles average went from 94 to 97 and 2 1/2 yard in punches in 2 months! Since going to a release, I have shot over 4,000 rounds and not one flinch! If that is the darkside, then I'm sorry I waited so long to join Darth Vader!

Rick Brohmer

14. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

John-

Same problem and fix as yours. Shooting quicker on hard rights from Post 5 pretty much solves my "failure to pull trigger flinch" and "spastic jerking". Weird thing is that I mainly do this (flinching) with only one of my guns, and only when shooting Trap! And yes, it is up for sale. I know it is purely a visual/mental problem with me. I love shooting release guns, but do not plan on ever owning one.

I believe that truly focusing on the clay and shooting ASAP is the answer.

AndyH

15. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Many people keep talking about "visual" flinches and "recoil" flinches and "individual shotgun" flinches and etc.

Yet it's amazing that when I switched to a release trigger in the same shotgun, shooting the same loads, and with my same eyesight, I suddenly stopped flinching.

Easystreet

16. esoxhunter

John: I don't know what type of gun you shoot; but I had Skeets Gun Shop out of Tahlequah Oklahoma do a release trigger for my Beretta. He billed me $190 plus I believe $15 for shipping. He did a great job. I sent him the stock and receiver, he did the job within the week and sent the gun back with the bill inside the box!! He is one honest and trusting person. Hope you decide to go the release route. It will help. Ed

17. esoxhunter

John: If you want to give him a call; his # is 918-456-4749. Talk to Dean.

18. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I have the worst flinch of anyone that I know. When I shoot Sporting Clays with a pull trigger I get my moneys worth, I get to try to shoot 300 to 400 attempts per 100 targets. Blackburn tells me it is painful to watch me. I , therefore , shoot a release at everything except hunting ( and wish I could shoot one there but for safety reasons I will just struggle on). I have read about Phil Kiner going to a much heavier trigger, if memory serves me correctly, to get away from a flinching problem. I agree with the other posters, a release is usually the best treatment for a flinch. I have found that if I want to shoot targets it is either release or shoot horrible scores.

Charlie

19. Charliebigteeth

Charliebigteeth TS Member

John, a flinch is like a Kidney Stone, you can't have just one! I am on your squad Saturday. We won't laugh at your seizures, since we have been where you are. The " click " you will hear is our release triggers being set and the smile on our face's from no more Flinches. Have a good Turkey Day. See you Saturday.

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

John, I sent you a PM my friend. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.