1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SOME OBSERVATIONS I'VE MADE OVER THE YEARS!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i just got back from the gun club. while i was there we started talking about some observations we have seen over the years, as well as some unanswered questions.
    1. why is it when you take a gun into a shop, no matter what you have to trade in, the owner says it is usually worthless to him, or the gun will probably sit on his gun rack for a long time in order to sell it?
    2. Why do gun shops who advertise always say that any model they have for sale is described as, one of a kind, very rare, very special , upgraded wood, sat in a gun cabinet for 40 years, and is good shooter?
    3.after you shoot, someone will come up to you and ask how did you shoot? usually it is someone who has the high score for the day.
    4. when someone starts shooting, they are friendly, have a good time. once they shoot a good score, they start hanging around with state team members, or the more afluent shooter?
    5. why is it when you go to a privately owned club, the owner is usually friendly, shakes your hand, shows you what guns he has to sell?
    6. why is it, when you see the same gun club owner at a shoot, he will possibly walk right passed you, like he doesn't know you?
    7. why is it when someone purchases a new expensive gun, he will place it over his shoulder and walk past, back and forth in front of the club where most of the shooters are sitting?
    8. why is it some shooters own the most expensive tournament trap guns they can find, but let the club raise target prices by a quarter, and they will criticize the club, and take all their shooting friends to another club?
    9. why is it at most state shoots, the shooters in charge seem to get lucky enough to shoot on only the best banks?
    10. why is it that the classification committee at a shoot, only remembers the one great score you once shot at their club 30 years ago? but they seem to forget the hundred of times that you shot a score in the 80's? why is that?

if you have anymore things that you have seen, or question, please ad them to this thread.
    steve balistreri

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I remember going to the Las Vegas gun club for a big shoot and a couple of big dogs had reserverd parking places next to the club house (or very close). I have never been back!!!!!!!!!

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

#11----why is it that you've become so cynical, Steve?

John C. Saubak

4. ink ball

ink ball Member

Here are a few more...

1) You want to trade in a gun...the gun has only been shot a few times. They tell you..."well...its nice...but once its been fired, its a used gun"...OK...I agree wtih that...but if the gun dealer has this same gun to sell, it is now described as "test fired only".

2) You want to trade in a gun. You paid extra $$$ at the time of purchase to get a wood upgrade. The dealer does not offer you any extra for the gun because of the upgraded wood, and tells you "no one will pay for a wood upgrade except on a new gun"...However, on his used gun rack is a used gun that proudly proclaims "Wood Upgrade!"

5. senior smoke

john- first of all, i commend you for using your real name. read ink balls response, enough said. i am just having some fun. over the years i have met some very honest gun dealers. here's an oldy but goody,i am left handed, when i see a left handed rem. 1100, the salesman says that's a special order item, and they charge more. when you come back to trade it in, you get less, because it will be hard to sell. to be honest, people have to make a living, i understand that. but some of these guys could very easily sell used cars. "this gun was only shot on sunday's by a little old lady".
    steve balistreri

6. KenC

KenC Member

5. why is it when you go to a privately owned club, the owner is usually friendly, shakes your hand, shows you what guns he has to sell? 6. why is it, when you see the same gun club owner at a shoot, he will possibly walk right passed you, like he doesn't know you?

Almost every serious shooter I know does not like to be 'chatted up' before they have shot. They are doing what ever they can to 'get into the zone'. I just leave them alone unless they initiate a conversation. You should draw your conclusions about this AFTER they're done shooting.

7. new loader

new loader Member

Is Senior Smoke our own Andy Rooney?

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Why is it that these things bother you and why do you have to continually whine about things on here?

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

senor smoke, keep your comments coming and don't let anyone deter you from posting your thoughts.

If they don't like it, they don't have to read it and they don't have to comment.

Hauxfan!

10. senior smoke

new loader- i am andy rooney's cousin, mickey.
    steve
    jbrooks- i like to whine. in this day and age, thats about the only think that i can afford to do.
    steve

11. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"...keep your comments coming and don't let anyone deter you from posting your thoughts."

You're right Larry, I won't.

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

If someone telling me hello will break my concentration, I shouldn't be there to start with.

Senior Smoke, keepum coming. I need a good laugh occasionally.

On the serious side, I thought everyone that has shot more than a couple of times always shoots in the 80's or higher.(from the 16 that is)
    Jackie B.

13. Lyle

Lyle Member

I thought the observations are on the money! I am still laughing.
    Good post

Lyle

14. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Leave ol' Smoke alone. The fact that he likes to (or has to) be the center of attention does not make him a bad guy.

Booger

15. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Why is it that the trapshooters who are late are often jollier than the ones that are always on time?

Why is it that ten dollars looks so big when you give it to your church, but is so small when you take it to Dick's Sporting Goods?

16. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Why is it you pay $10 to play the Lewis Class and feel good when you win $5.
    Why does the blooper shell, or flinch, or distraction, or bug up your nose always happen on the 100th straight bird.

17. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Why is it your friends all get straight away's and you get all the hard lefts and rights?

Hauxfan!

18. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Why is it, when it's your turn to shoot, the trap machine runs out of birds? Mike

19. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

I am going to look all of his questions and give an HONEST answer:

1. Why is it when you take a gun into a shop, no matter what you have to trade in, the owner says it is usually worthless to him, or the gun will probably sit on his gun rack for a long time in order to sell it?

Ans: Because it will take time to sell the gun and the owner is now sitting it, not you. Just like trading in a car. What YOU think the price should be is not what the dealer is going to give to you, that is a fact of life. They have to take the chance on it, check it out, fix it, clean it, put the gun on the rack where it takes up space. Will they make money on your trade? maybe depending on how long it takes to sell but that is the name of the game. YOU ALWAYS MAKE MORE SELLING PRIVATELY. You take a bath on the gun because you can move it immediately and it is convenient.

2. Why do gun shops who advertise always say that any model they have for sale is described as, one of a kind, very rare, very special , upgraded wood, sat in a gun cabinet for 40 years, and is good shooter?

Ans: Sales pitch. Its called "Sales". The guy is tyring to make a buck, let him make his money on the next sucker. Do your homework, bring your evidence, and get down to it with him. Two things will happen, you'll get it closer to your price or you will be told to walk. Do it, its not the only gun on earth. If it is a One-of-a-kind gun, you must have the dough so what are you complaining about?

3.after you shoot, someone will come up to you and ask how did you shoot? usually it is someone who has the high score for the day.

Ans: He is happy and wants to be in the limelight for once of his life, someday you will too. Humor him and move on. I would relish the moment if Kay Oyhe came up and asked me how I shot.

4. when someone starts shooting, they are friendly, have a good time. once they shoot a good score, they start hanging around with state team members, or the more affluent shooter?

Ans: They are hungry to get better, don't take it like they are leaving your company for "better" people. They just want to get better and want to pick the brains of the shooters that are at the top of the game. If the big dogs came to your club and you are serious about your shooting, you would be over there too.

5. why is it when you go to a privately owned club, the owner is usually friendly, shakes your hand, shows you what guns he has to sell?

Ans: Trying to make a deal, what is the problem with that? Maybe he has something you want. Refer to question 1, it is always better to sell the gun yourself rather than trade it in.

6. why is it, when you see the same gun club owner at a shoot, he will possibly walk right passed you, like he doesn't know you?

Ans: Moving on to new fish. Get over it, and move on. What to you want, the guy to stop drop and roll for you? Grow up, come into the real world its the guy's business.

7. why is it when someone purchases a new expensive gun, he will place it over his shoulder and walk past, back and forth in front of the club where most of the shooters are sitting?

Ans: They want to show it off. I would say that is why the guy bought the gun in the first place. A K80 standard grade has the same guts as the most expensive and they shoot the same. Difference is all of the gold, wood and engraving. They want to show it off. I do not know a gun club where that does not happen. We have a guy that buys a gun every few months just so he can come and show it off. Once it is commonplace, it is sold off and he is into something new.

8. why is it some shooters own the most expensive tournament trap guns they can find, but let the club raise target prices by a quarter, and they will criticize the club, and take all their shooting friends to another club?

Ans: I don't know many trap shooters that don't bitch about something especially prices of EVERYTHING. They then put their $30,000 Krieghoff back into their $50,000 Denali and drive home to their $700,000 home. People got to bitch about something get used to it. Usually the ones that bitch about money is the ones who have it. Funny thing is they usually bitch to guys like me who don't have any money.

9. why is it at most state shoots, the shooters in charge seem to get lucky enough to shoot on only the best banks?

Ans: They are running the shoot, they are putting all the time in so you can have fun, I got no problem with them getting the best banks. If that's how its done in your state, help run the shoot so you get taken care of. It may be the only perk they get for having to deal with a few thousand shooters that bitch about something (refer to question #8)

10. why is it that the classification committee at a shoot, only remembers the one great score you once shot at their club 30 years ago? but they seem to forget the hundred of times that you shot a score in the 80's? why is that?

Ans: They have been burnt by sandbaggers forever. Its the nature of the sport. I suggest going to a club that does not know you are a sandbagger and will only use the score they are presented with.

Jeff

20. senior smoke

jeff- you make some sense.
    steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.