1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SOME OBSERVATIONS ABOUT SHOOTERS!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    over the years i have see alot of shooters come and go in this sport. what is interesting is when new shooters have money, some of them are changing guns on a regular basis searching for the magic wand. as their money starts to deplete instead of trading guns, they start to change stocks, or barrels. as that money starts to dwindel,it's triggers, and usually the last thing is beads. i don't know if bowlers change their balls, golfers change their clubs as often as shooters, but i am starting to think searching for something to give you one extra target may be unique just in our sport. when i was young Vic Reinders told me "buy yourself a rem 870 tb, and shoot lots of shells. don't change guns". did i listen to him? no! what did i know. if i would have listened i would have alot more money than i do today, and possibly be alot better shooter. when we are young, we think we have all the answers.
    steve balistreri

2. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Not unique to us--watch bowlers on TV--gloves, pads, tape, knee pads, etc etc etc Watch a girls softball game. Some of them acn't hardly walk with all the stuff on. Pool shooters the same way. Archers--MY GOD! Ever looked in a bass boat?? No it aint just us--

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I think that no matter what the sport/hobby or business, everyone is always looking for that certain something that will give them the edge over the competition. Any examples that could be listed are obvious.

Eric

4. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Steve,

As an competitive ex-golfer (can't shoot and golf at the same time, I tried it and just ended up exhausted and completely broke) I can testify that golfers are ALWAYS looking for the magic club and ball and are just as willing to spend thousands on achieving it. I have five sets of irons, multiple woods and an embarrassing amount of putters in the garage. My old golf coaches used to say the same thing I hear from the talented shooters I know--'it's not the club/gun, it's the golfer/shooter.' I've grappled with buying a new gun but am going to hold tight to my Browning XT trap combo and just try and bang out some decent scores based on my golfing mistakes. Besides, who can afford a new $12,000 gun every year?

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Most people don't want to admit it's themselves that is causing the problem. It's called EGO. Blame is easy to place on a piece of equipment. Every part of life is that way. Blame someone or something else for your problems. It keeps the retail industry & Shrinks in business.

6. senior smoke

i don't think gunsmiths have anything to worry about concerning the lack of work from tournament shooyer when it comes to our want and needs. i can not tell you how many great guns i have had over the years, that i got rid of because i shot a bad round. i blamed the gun, instead of placing the blame at the correct door step. maybe trapshooting is not suppose to be just shooting. maybe the gun trading, the alterations, etc, is all part of our sport. i admire the guy who has shot the same gun for years. vic use to say, your gun is like your wife, you have to marry the gun through good and bad times. years ago, i witnessed vic shoot a 12, and a 13, in a 50 bird event. he used the same 31tc the very next week and broke 50 straight. we all have good and bad days at work, obivously this carries over to shooting too. even tiger woods has bad days. of course, his bad days, aren't as bad as most of ours. trapshooting is a great sport, it is addictive, but i would not have given up anything because of all the great people i have met and life long friends i have made.
    steve

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Calamity. Do someone a favor... donate that stuff to the high school golf team like I did my clubs, shoes, etc. They were very appreciative.

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

It has nothing to do with your age. The majority of shooters never out grow the urge to buy a score as evidenced by the fact that many of the shooters buy guns with adjustable Ribs and combs.

When you move a Rib you must make a counter move with the adjustable stock or you have moved nothing. In all of the manuals I have read for adjustable for lunch bunch guns they tell you what stock adjustment to make for approximately what point of impact to get. So what is the Rib adjustment for? From what I can see just to make sure it shoots where you want with a figure 8.

Awful lot of money just to get a figure 8 every time you mount your gun.

shot410ga said.

"Most people don't want to admit it's themselves that is causing the problem. It's called EGO."

You are correct. It also might have something to do with their idiosyncrasies.

Bob Lawless

9. senior smoke

EE- don't think so, but if i did i must losing my mind.
    steve

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The truth always comes at the end of the journey.. In life.. and in shooting.. no exceptions.. What people usually don't understand.. is that as they evolve as shooters.. their style changes.. To that end.. some adjustments must be made.. Also.. as we get older.. and less fit.. we start having range of motion problems.. and deficits in timing.. that we hope to buy our way out of.. Some of us do.. and some don't.. Then.. the new XXXXXXX sure .. Hell.. if I can't shoot good.. at least I'll look good.. LOL... All Good.. Mike

11. ivanhoe

mark Not to be contradictory but isn't that what I said.

"When you move a Rib you must make a counter move with the adjustable stock or you have moved nothing."

Maybe you read something different into that statement.

Bob Lawless

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I must be different....I am stuck on Mod12s, have lots of them and they all shoot the same. All I do to them is put on fancier wood....doesn't make them shoot any better.....BUT they sure do look prettier!

13. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

Steve: When I started shooting in the early 70's, there weren't all those fancy additions you could do. You had Morgan Pads, Edward's Reducers and Herb Orre. Then came ports, choke tubes (Winchester did have them), adjustable combs, etc. If the Top Guys use them, they must be good. And just what do I shoot good now, 870TB. Go figure.

Mike

14. senior smoke

mike:
    i shoot an 870tb. i have had most trap guns including perazzi, could never do any better than a 870. i don't even use an adjustable stock. if i had one, i would probably wear out the allen screws. i think adjustable stocks are great for shooters who once they set it, leave it. i see people constantly changing their adjustable stock, some, even on the line. any change that is made, is like shooting a different gun.
    steve

15. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Not sure what kind of adjustable ribs you guys have, but you certainly move the point of impact up or down if you move the front bead up or down!! Tom Rhoads

16. samiam03

samiam03 Member

It's difficult and expensive to change wives - easier to change guns

Sam

17. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Remember folks...He (or she) who dies with the most toys wins!!

Curt

18. ivanhoe

missed some

"BUT you have done something when you move the rib. you changed the sight picture,"

Mark that statement does not compute I have no idea what that means I look at the target not the gun so I do not now what you are saying the only site picture I get is a orange target and how moving the rib equates to that is beyond me.

Bob Lawless

19. ivanhoe

tcr1146

"Not sure what kind of adjustable ribs you guys have, but you certainly move the point of impact up or down if you move the front bead up or down"

You are correct if you can see the bead. Case in point Perazzi MX2000 Rib is all the way up in the front, the stock is set so you see a figure 8. Now you reverse the rib(all the way down in the front. Can you still see the beads I don't think so not unless you move the stoc up. Therefore the stock is making the adjustment and if you read the manual before you start it tells you that.

Bob Lawless

20. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i love to feel good guns and think of possible better scores? the find - or-the looking for the gun or stock that feels "right" is addictive to me!!!-and
    breaking rocks is great but a shoot without vendors is like going to the state fair and having no midway carnival!!! are the top shooters always gun shopping?? i dont think so!!?? their addiction is "winning"!!
    the rest of us support the industry??

ps: and some guns really talk to me--they say OWN ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.