1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Some new furniture - pics inside

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rastoff, Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

As a lefty I've struggled in a right hand world my whole life. As a consequence, I've learned some bad habits and often do better with right hand things that I've adapted myself to. Well, I've had enough of that and decided to get a custom stock made for my Trap gun.

Through this site I managed to hook up with a relatively new stock maker, Doug Carpenter (dcblvsh2) http://www.ccgunstocks.com/contactus.html

We've actually been working on this stock for about a year. Talking back and forth and I even made a trip to Ohio where I got to talk with Doug in person. It was a long process, but I'm super picky and I'm sure I drove Doug nuts with my requests.

We spent a lot of time talking about the checkering. I had some ideas, but it was Doug that came up with the final design. I'm absolutely blown away with the results.

The wood is Bastogne walnut. I got it from Mike Mann: http://whitecreekgunstockblanks.org I just told him what gun I had and what kind of look I was interested in. He actually sent me the blank for me to evaluate and gave me the choice; either send it back or send a check. I sent the check.

I recommend both of these gentlemen if you have any interest in having a stock made.

Now on to the pictures:

Bastogne Walnut is subtle in the figure it presents. You must look at it in the right light at the right angle to see the real magic. The pics will not do it justice.

The blank:

BastogneBlank.jpg

Looking at this picture it's hard to believe the wood is smooth, but it is.

The shaping begins:
    Doug first cut a temporary "try" stock that had an adjustable comb on it.

When I was in Ohio, we went to the range and I shot a few targets and he made some adjustments to the palm swell, grip, comb, etc., until I felt comfortable with it. Then he used that to cut into the real wood. This is the first I saw of it.

rastoff1.jpg

Once he finished the basic shape, he put a temporary finish on it and sent it to me. I shot it a bunch, made some notes and sent it back to him. At first I wanted a fixed comb, but quickly realized that wasn't going to work. So, Doug cut an adjustable comb and installed the hardware:

Combrightsmall.jpg

Next it was time to come up with a checkering pattern. Doug really had a good feel for what I wanted and what would work with the gun. He sent me a couple pictures of sketches:

IMG_0367.jpg

We went back and forth with these until it was right. I really appreciate the time he put into this design. He even sent me photos of the design laid out on the stock.

Then I just had the agony of waiting while he cut the checkering. Some things just can't be rushed.

The final product came in yesterday. I am just knocked out by the way it turned out. Unfortunately, these pictures are a monument to my lack of photographic skill. They just don't capture the radiance of the figure this piece of Bastogne has. Here they are anyway:

FullRightSidesmall.jpg

StockRightsmall.jpg

<a href="http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa253/Rastoff/Ljutic%20ARS/Custom%20Stock/?action=view&current=PalmSwellCheckeringsmall.jpg" target="_blank"> PalmSwellCheckeringsmall.jpg </a>

<a href="http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa253/Rastoff/Ljutic%20ARS/Custom%20Stock/?action=view┬Ąt=FingerGrooveCheckeringsmall.jpg" target="_blank"> FingerGrooveCheckeringsmall.jpg </a>

<a href="http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa253/Rastoff/Ljutic%20ARS/Custom%20Stock/?action=view&current=Forearmsmall.jpg" target="_blank"> Forearmsmall.jpg </a>

I can't wait to get out and shoot it!

If you want some stock work done, don't hesitate to give Doug a call for the stock or Mike for the wood. You won't be sorry.

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS can you see the my drool all over the keyboard.. Ross Puls

3. Saxman

Saxman Member

WOW !!!!

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

That looks like crap. You should probably just send it to me so nobody see's you shooting that gosh awful thing. :)

Very nice.

5. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Looks great.

6. deadnout

deadnout Member

now that is a good looking piece of work. normally prefer darker wood but that is impressive.treat it well.

7. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

As an old gun man from way back, I think that's the prettiest Model 1100 I've ever seen.

8. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

<blockquote><I>The Literalist wrote:<br> As an old gun man from way back, I think that's the prettiest Model 1100 I've ever seen. </I></blockquote>Um...what???

9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

What a Lunatic! Very nice.

10. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

I MUST say that is a Beautiful Stock. The work looks a if a TRUE Artist did it for himself. That is not just a Ljutic it is a "First Class Ljutic". Will not take a "Back Seat" to any other.It is Amazing how a person can take a piece of wood and turn it in to a work of "ART". joe90t

11. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Looks gorgeous, enjoy.

12. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Very, very nice.

13. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

Impressive, Very nice

14. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

As they say in NYC: "Gwa-jus, jus Gwa-jus"!

Truly, very nice.

Mike

15. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

THAT........is cool!!!..........Uncle Sam, Pa.

16. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

very nice job, enjoy it!

17. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Nice design, implementation and the checkering is awesome. The wood is just beautiful as well.

18. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

That is some major league awesome fiddleback.

19. GradeIII

GradeIII TS Member

That is an amazing piece of work! I love the fact that he worked with you to get exactly what you needed. In addition to the personalized design, the checkering compliments the lines of the stock perfectly!!! Just beautiful!

Doug Carpenter is doing the stock on an old LC Smith waterfowler for me, and I can report that he is great to work with! He put a pattern (expendable) stock on my gun made of some cherry wood he had laying around the shop. Once I get the gun back from the other gunsmith who's doing the metal work, I'll shoot it a little to bring the comb down to the right level, and Doug will then make the walnut (finished) stock for me.

I would encourage anyone needing stock work to contact Doug. He is definitely an up and coming craftsman in his field. He is an (as of yet) undiscovered master in the stock-making world.

Dana Farrell

20. dcblvsh2

dcblvsh2 TS Member

Hello, Thanks for all the kind words.

I am new to trapshooters.com

Rastoff is a great guy and even better customer, Thank you Rastoff for a great post.

GradeIII thanks for the kind words, I am looking forward to completing your project as well.

Doug Carpenter

Carpenter's Custom Gunstocks LLC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.