1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SOME MORE VIC REINDER STORIES!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    people have been sending me private messages and requesting that i continue to tell some more Vic Reinder stories. I have to start out by saying that i would never intend to belittle Vic in anyway. he was a great trapshooter. i do feel because he was born in an earlier time, his thought process was different then us younger guys.

when vic and i shot the winter events, he always, and i mean always wore the same winter pants, they were either black or dark gray with a thin red pinstripe. one day, i was absolutely freezing while shooting and my hand warmer went cold. as we were switching stations, he reached into one of pockets and let me use one of his potatoes that he heated up in his oven before he came to the club. he would use a potatoe for a hand warmer. i hate to admit it, it was warmer then what i was using. he told me after we were shooting, now lets eat our potatoes.

one day at the state shoot, Vic and i were sitting in front of the gun club, behind trap #6. we were watching a squad of wis state trap team shooters and a couple all americans. they were smoking targets. i asked vic, if you were in your prime, do you think you could beat these guys with your old rem 31tc? he nodded yes. i asked him what made you better than most? he said alot of shooters miss targets from the neck up. i asked for some tips. he said always start on position #5, that gives you 5 targets to look at before you shoot. if you get nervous, don't look at the other shooters targets. if you still get nervous, look down at the ground and say the word, no, no, no, over and over and it will stop the nervousness.

Vic and Arnold Rieger were traveling to or back from a big shoot on a train. Arnold asked Vic what state are we in? Vic said Texas. Arnold said I never knew the states were this big. Vic said that Arnold thought all the states were all the same size.

Vic told me the shooter he feared the most was Ned Lilly. he thought mr. Lilly was probably one of the very best. but he said there was a father and son from iowa. they only shot ocassionally. they both shot rusted winchester model 97's. the father was Arlo Hoon, i forget the son's first name. vic said if they would have taken trapshooting seriously, he thought they would have torn up the record books.

i asked vic when he goes to a shoot, what does he look for? he said i look for the man that shoots a work worn model 12 or remington. he said the gun tells me if the guy knows how to use it. he said i never feared a man with a shining new gun, with bright blueing. Vic felt, the guy probably didn't have the gun long enough to really know how to shoot it.

one day vic let me put a choke gauge down his rem 31 tc. it measured 45 thousands. i said vic are you aware that you have a bulge in your barrel? he said yes, he said part of a wad must of stayed in his barrel. he said it didn't affect the way he shot. by the way, his 31 barrel was 28 inches long.

i am going to bed.
    steve balistreri

2. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

In Vandalia,Ohio, I would visit with Vic. The rib on his gun was broken and missing in more than one place. He would reach in his back pocket and tell you how many shells the gun had shot. Recorded the 209's he purchased.
    A gentleman of our sport. We have a few.

Joe Woods/Ontario

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Joe:
    vic and I are walking at the grand in the 1980's. he broke his 31tc forearm. i met a man who had a new 31tc forearm and he wanted $60.00 for it. because it was for vic, he said he's sell it for $20.00. so i told vic of my find, thought he'd be happy. vic said why do i need a new forearm? i said vic a big piece of your forearm is missing. he said, it doesn't affect the way it shoots.
    steve

4. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

In Vandalia,Ohio, I would visit with Vic. The rib on his gun was broken and missing in more than one place. He would reach in his back pocket and tell you how many shells the gun had shot. Recorded the 209's he purchased.
    A gentleman of our sport. We have a few.

Joe Woods/Ontario

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.