1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Some military benefits cut. GrubbyJ.

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Email I recieved this morning.

So here are more military benefits gone...

Begin forwarded message:

Date: February 3, 2012 7:12:08 EST
    Subject: Proration of Imminent Danger Pay (IDP)

A new law may affect the pay you receive when you are on duty in an imminent danger pay (IDP) area. About 27 locations world-wide have been designated by the Secretary of Defense as IDP areas.

The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012 (NDAA 2012), signed on December 31, 2011, requires we begin prorating IDP so that members are paid for only the actual days they perform duty in an IDP area. Before December 31, members received the full $225 a month even if they performed duty only one day in an IDP area. Now service members will receive $7.50 for each day they are on duty in an IDP area up to the maximum monthly rate of $225. Members who are exposed to a hostile fire or hostile mine explosion event are eligible to receive non-prorated Hostile Fire Pay (HFP) in the full monthly amount of $225. Members cannot receive both IDP and HFP in the same month.

The law required proration to begin on December 31, 2011; however, because it took time to publish implementing guidance and ready pay systems, we were not ready to begin prorating the pay on that date. DoD began to pay the prorated payments beginning February 1, 2012. If you are eligible to receive IDP, you may see the prorated amount of the pay in your February 15th pay depending on the actual number of days you spend in an IDP area.

Some members may have been overpaid between the date the NDAA was signed on December 31, 2011, and February 1, 2012, when the pay systems began proration.

The military services are working to waive or remit debts for members who may have been overpaid during this period. The intent is that you will not be liable for any overpayment during this period. Also, you do not need to request or take any action for this to take place. Your service will take care of this for you.

If you have questions about this pay, please contact your finance office.

2. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

thank you john boehner.....this is so f'in wrong,,,,,so while in Leatherneck you don't get combat pay,,,,REMEMBER TO VOTE IN NOVEMBER!!!!!!!!!!

3. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I can't speak for the current situation but 45 years ago in 'Nam it was common for people to plan their schedule so as to be "in country" at midnight every two months. They could get combat pay for a whole year and not spend more than 12 hours in the zone. This may still have been going on. It tends to irritate the boots on the ground. IMHO Ron

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I agree with gun1357, I was a crew member on a B 52, and toward the end of the month there was always a Colonel or General riding in the jump seat for one flight so they could get hazardous duty pay for the whole month

Just their hazardous duty pay was more than my total pay

5. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

More coming down the pike. 401ks, 15 year retirements,raising payments for tricare insurance.

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

....and Base closings. Mike.

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

Defense and stuff like Medicare and Social Security are the 2 biggest chunks of the budget.

Old White Men don't want cuts to either.

This is where we find out if Conservatism in America is real or not.

8. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

As an 18 year old I joined the Army during the Vietnam Conflict. At that time they made a deal. If they want that deal changed that would be between the Govt and the new folks signing up. I put my ass on the line for 20 years, now it's their turn to pony up. I don't give a hoot what percentage of the budget it is. Before you knock the military benefit recipients the Political injustice in DC should be addressed. One term and those SOBs are set for life? Bull Fritters. Jake

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

When I went to Vietnam in 1965 combat pay was $65 a month, later raised to $100 a month. Now it's $225 a month. What a sweet deal. Live in a dirt hole and get shot at for $225 a month or $7.50 a day. Sounds worth it to me....Ug

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Unionize! !!!!

11. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

It never ceases to amaze me that we keep sending people to Washington that vote themselves a pay raise and vote to cut everyone else's benefits. I don't understand where they get the nerve. I had just been commissioned and was shortly thereafter caught up in the 1989-1990 RIF. (Last in, first out) I went to see my congressman to see what could be done. What a waste of time that was. But he still got paid. I didn't. However, I did become quite involved politically in a move to get him out of office that was successful (anyone remember Roy Dyson). He bit the bullet in the 1990 electons. Oh well, I felt better but we replaced one with another. I will say one thing though, his replacement was much more responsive than he was. Just one of 435 though.

12. crusha

crusha TS Member

Anybody who thinks they have a "deal" with the US Government is kidding themselves.

We should be teaching people to be smarter than that.

That's the problem with older Americans in general. They all think they "have a deal." And I don't see it changing with the younger generation, either. Where does it end?

As I say, this is where we find out if Conservatism in America is real or not.

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

This is a ridiculous post

There are not more benefits gone- The poster, Barrel Bulger, knows nothing about the military and avoided military service himself or such was my take after hearing the stories with the wrong facts that he told several different times. Regardless I have also seen him post derogatory stuff about muslims and blacks that serve in the military.

The military is a group, they try to take care of their own and such is the case here. Politicians make the laws and policy decisions but obviously the miltary follows those decisions in a manner which best allows them to continue with their missions, one of which is to take care of the people that serve.

What has changed is simply how you calculate a certain type of pay. That calculation has varied over the years. Hopefully the people that have been overpaid will not have to pay the money back and that is being worked on.

As far as base closings-- Duhhhhhh

As the budget goes down you have three components- People, Equipment and facilities and research and development.--- Much better to consolidate bases than any other option.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

14. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Duuhhh. The local 911th was on the news that it will be closed within 2 years. There are 318 employees at the base. If there are 300 or more Congress needs to close the base. The Military skipped Congress and made this news release on their own. Gene as far as your comment I believe you are coming very close to defimation of character. You are confusing the facts as you usually do with personal attacks. Don't be an a$$hole all your life 1/2 of it is probably over. There is still time to change and be a human being. For everyone else the info above came straight from someone at a nearby base. Mike.

PS: Gene, did you ever think about how your conduct on here would probably be a real embarassment to your alma mater? Where were you when your Mother was teaching the kids about manners? When God was giving them out you must have been in the ignorant line for a double dose.

PSS: Because of your lack of comprehension skills is at a maximum I will repeat this for the last time. I was a sole surviving son therfore I had no military obligation. My draft card classification was 4-A. It is hard to fathom how low a person you are always trying to overcompensate for that large inferiority complex to the point that you are rude to most other posters on here. You are one person that they should throw you off permanently for your bad behavior.

15. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Gene you need to get back on your meds

The military takes care of it's own? Yeah right I saw during the RIF after Nam, some of the best pilots/ crew get shafted because they were right at retirement and they weren't A$$ suckers

I think it's BS that they are jacking with the military pay, but look who's running the country, he needs the money to take his family on vacations

Oh they love you when the military bails you out, but after the military is done the scum bags want to forget everything you have done

16. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

4-A means Registrant who has completed military service.

" I was a sole surviving son therfore I had no military obligation"

4-G Registrant exempted from service because of the death of a parent or sibling while serving in the Armed Forces or whose parent or sibling has Prisoner of War or Missing In Action status.

A sole surviving son or daughter is a service member who is the only surviving son or daughter in a family where the father, or mother, or one or more sons or one or more daughters, served in the U.S. Armed Forces, and as a direct result of the hazards of duty in the Service, the father, or mother, or one or more sons or daughters:

NEXT

Grubby
    retired US ARMY

17. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Dad died in San Diego Naval Hospital while on active duty. I was the only male left with our last name.
    Grubby, I also was entitled to school benefits at the time and went to college paid by the Navy. This was back in 1968.

This thread is about the military cutting benefits, however, Gene all infinite and all knowledgeable has seen it fit to attack my character again and in doing so has shown that he is classless and a real 'low life'. By the way Gene you never answered my question about a dishonorable discharge concerning you. Mike.

18. g7777777

Grubby we have gone over this before--- Barrel Bulger claimed he went from service to service and wasnt allowed to join-- that is the BS part- and said his mother had to sign because he was under 21 and then that they wouldnt take him thereafter.

Barrel bulgers story originally was that he was prevented by law from serving in the military. That of course was debunked

I cant verify the details of his family situation but I know what he posted about the fact that he couldnt serve is false.

Barrelbulger then claimed briefly that he couldnt join until he was 21- and of course that is false

Finally he claimed that he was making too much money by the time he was 21 and they woldnt take him or some such stuff-

Barrel Bulger would withdraw those posts as soon as he made them

We know nothing of the truth but what we do know is that the law doesnt match with any version of his story.

We also know he has made statements against black and muslim service members-- well god doesnt draft them- he just takes them - and if they are serving our nation and protecting you or their fellow service members than there is no higher calling.

As far as cuts-- Barrel Bulger- thats right-- DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH- my point was there are operating expenses with any base- significant ones- If you shut a base you save those additional costs.

If he would quit posting this junk I would quit reminding him

Barrel Bulger and Obama just seem to flip flop on the issues- and they certainly could be confused as kindred spirits in that regard.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

US Army Retired

19. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Gene and Obama both lie like hell and change everything anyone says to whatever they want it to be. Gene as I said before numerous times, you are the biggest LIAR on this site, Why is it you never answer any questions I pose to you? No balls? You are one big P.O.S. You blame me for running to the Mods then in a PM to me you admitted that you do that. You are the reverse of Obama same tactics but a different color(I think). Just got a PM someone apologizing for you being from IOWA. You lied above also. You have a hard time with comprehension Gene. See a psyche, get back on your meds. Mike.

20. g7777777

Barrel Bulger- actually I disagree with the vast majority of things Obama has done or is doing.

He is now just part of the Democratic machine

Having said that- I dont go after him because of his race

I dont make up these wild scenarios that he isnt really the President of the United States.

If you had any concept of reality you would realize I am a strong republican- probably right in the middle of republican thought and values.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.