1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Some interesting items i found

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

While i was cleaning up in the basement i came across some old reloading supplies. I found these items pretty interesting. They will join my old shell boxes on the shelf in the reloading room. Anybody care to give me any history or info on them? The primers are (2) full boxes(100 ea.) of 220 Max-Fire 209 made by Alcan. There is some Alcan paper hulls with Economax on the other side. The last item is a dark red Remington 16ga shell with ribbed paper hull with REM-UMC and SHURSHOT stamped on bottom. The 16ga is still loaded with what looks like 2 1/4 - 1 1/8 - 8 on the side. While the 16ga. shell is interesting i'm even more interested in the Alcan products that are stamped Alton, IL on the primer boxes. Thanks Matt
    [​IMG]

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

IIRC, the Alcan #220 were a VERY hot primer, hotter than the Fed209A.

Search SGW-reloading boards; there have been a few threads abt Alcan & Herters primers.

Bob

3. grntitan

Bob---Thanks for the help. I did some a little research with your lead and didn't come up with alot but here it is.

Alcan primers and powders were the products of a guy who took umbrage at the then-current policy among ammo makers of not providing components for reloaders. He opened up shop by importing primers and powders (all shotgun at first) made by Bofors of Sweden. He operated out of Alton, Illinois.

They eventually added rifle and handgun primers to their stock, but not rifle powders. When the Bofors plant burned down and was not rebuilt, that was the end of Alcan.

Now this is what i found on another forum. If this info is not correct or anyone has more, i'm interested.---Matt

4. Mapper

Mapper Member

I have a box of 100 Alcan metal hulls, brand new. Look like they might be zinc or tin or something. There is a sheet suggesting loading instructions and loads.
    Alton, Ill address. I think Alcan had an all plastic shell too.

5. grntitan

Mapper---well i know they at least had paper hulls as i found some of those. I have one pictured above. I'd like to see a pic of those all metal hulls. I've seen some modern metal shotgun hulls before but never any old ones. I know the stuff i found is not worth much but it is interesting to find older stuff. I was most interested in the Alcan because Alton, IL is also home to Olin Brass and not real far from me.---Matt

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

They imported "pin fire" hulls too.

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Here, Matt.

shotgunworld.com, Search: Alcan Primer, reloading, text & title brings up several references ... this is one I thought I remembered, as it talked abt primers jacking pressure. My Lyman #1 has grown feet, else I'd be able to scan the data. Yup, the A220 primer was ... w.a.r.m.

Trying hard to not get blowed up !!!

8. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Here are some of the old Alcan Plastic Shells

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jim R

9. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Alcan was at one time, during the seventies, acquired by the Bangor Punta group along with S&W, Harley, Skamper, Brunswick, Taurus, and others. That was when we had to take "related" crap to get new S&W revolvers. A Model 29, thanks to Dirty Harry, wholesaled for $220 but required you to buy 400 bucks worth of "related" S&W garbage. We'd get cases of S&W ammo (Alcan), primers (220 Maxfire) which I loaded with PB powder to keep pressures down, leather goods, shotguns (POS 916s and 1000s).

If my memory serves, the primers were around $5.60/1000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.