1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Some interesting facts about WD-40

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Sep 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

What is the main ingredient of WD-40 ?

Before you read to the end, does anybody know what the main ingredient of WD-40 is? Don't lie and don't cheat . WD-40 . Who knew; I had a neighbor who bought a new pickup . I got up very early one Sunday morning and saw that someone had spray painted red all around the sides of this beige truck (for some unknown reason) . I went over, woke him up, and told him the bad news . He was very upset and was trying to figure out what to do . . . . probably nothing until Monday morning, since nothing was open . Another neighbor came out and told him to get his WD-40 and clean it off . It removed the unwanted paint beautifully and did not harm his paint job that was on the truck . I'm impressed! WD-40 who knew? 'Water Displacement #40' . The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts . WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company . Its name comes from the project that was to find a 'water displacement' compound . . They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40 . The Convair Company bought it in bulk to protect their atlas missile parts . Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you . . . When you read the 'shower door' part, try it . It's the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door . If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass . It's a miracle! Then try it on your stove top . . . Viola! It's now shinier than it's ever been . You'll be amazed .

WD-40 uses:
    1 .. Protects silver from tarnishing .
    2 . Removes road tar and grime from cars .
    3 . Cleans and lubricates guitar strings ..
    4 . Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making them slippery ...
    5 .. . Keeps flies off cows .
    6 . Restores and cleans chalkboards .
    7 .. Removes lipstick stains .
    8 . . Loosens stubborn zippers ..
    9 .. Untangles jewelry chains .
    10 . Removes stains from stainless steel sinks ..
    11 . Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill .
    12 . Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing ..
    13 . Removes tomato stains from clothing .
    14 ... Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots .
    15 . Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors .
    16 . Keeps scissors working smoothly . .
    17 .. Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes .
    18 . It removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor! Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring . It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off .. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks .
    19 . Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40!
    20 . Gives a children's playground gym slide a shine for a super fast slide .
    21 . Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers . . ..
    22 . . Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises ..
    23 . Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open . .
    24 . Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close ..
    25 .. Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers .
    26 . Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles ..
    27 . Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans
    28 .. Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling .
    29 . Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly .
    30 . Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools .
    31 ... Removes splattered grease on stove .
    32 . Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging .
    33 . Lubricates prosthetic limbs ..
    34 . Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell) .
    35 . Removes all traces of duct tape .
    36 . Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain ..
    37 . Florida ’s favorite use is: 'cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers . '
    38 . The favorite use in the state of New York , WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements .
    39 . WD-40 attracts fish . Spray a little on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time . Also, it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose . Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states .
    40 . Use it for fire ant bites . . It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch .
    41 . WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls . Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag .
    42 . Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, satur ate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and rewash . Presto! The lipstick is gone!
    43 . If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start

P . S . The basic ingredient is FISH OIL ....

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have been cleaning guns with it for as long as I can remember ( I will be 69 on the 11th) I keep it in a pan and soak all my parts then blow them off. A gal at Home Depot $15.79

3. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

4. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I was convinced until the P.S. part about fish oil... Now I question the rest...

5. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Actually, to be specific, I believe it is anchovie oil....also open your soft gun case, spray the inside, let it air dry and it will displace any moisture, and your gun won't rust when out hunting....

6. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I knew.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Hogue overmolded rifle stocks come out of the box almost feeling sticky and in fact everything from lint to dog hair sticks to them. I asked Hogue how to "desticky" them and they said to clean it with WD-40. I did it once and three years later, it still isn't stickey but it isn't oily, either.

Ed

8. Bentley998

Bentley998 Member

Was fishing for sturgeon in the Columbia river in mid June- guide said WD40 was fish oil based and until outlawed by the WDFG was regularly used on bait as an additional attractant

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

True or not, I once had a very bad experience with fish oil...

When I was 13 years old I started trapping for muskrat and racoon. I also tried for mink and fox but didn't have much luck that first season. An old timer advised me, "Before next year's season, try making your own lure out of fish oil." "Where am I going to get that?" I asked. He said, "It's simple -- next August just catch a bunch of little bluegill and put them in a big pickle jar out in the sun. A few weeks later you'll have the base for a good lure. It will have an aroma that mink, 'coon and fox will find impossible to resist -- it's like perfume to them!"

It didn't make sense to my 13 year-old mind but early next August I decided to give it a try. But I didn't want my brothers or anyone else to mess with my secret potion, so I got the bright idea to put my gigantic pickle jar full of blugill up on the roof of the house, against the chimney. A month or so later I remembered it was there and went up to check progress. To my delight, as soon as my head cleared the edge of the roof I could already see that the jar was now full of FISH OIL, just like the old timer had said! I scampered over to it and was amazed at how all those fish could have actually turned mostly to OIL. There was about a half-gallon of it. Realizing that the old timer's instructions had produced exactly the results he promised, I was now excited and eager to get a whiff of the enticing "aroma" that he said mink, 'coon and fox would find more enchanting than fine perfume.

So I unscrewed the huge lid with both hands while cradling the huge glass jar between my legs "indian style" so that I could get the required leverage without sliding down the gable roof. When the lid finally came off I put my face down into the opening and inhaled deeply to savor my intoxicating potion. Turns out, that wasn't my smartest idea. Have you ever breathed-in something so incredibly foul and overwhelmingly vile that it simultaneously collapsed your lungs and made you instantly vomit and crap your pants all at the same time? Well, I'm pretty sure that's what happened. Within one second everything inside my body wanted to come rocketing out. My eyeballs may have even temporarily fallen out of their sockets. To make things even worse, I involuntarily jerked backward so quickly that I flipped over backwards down the gable and came incredibly close to rolling right off the roof. Had it not been for catching the edge of the chimney with my toe and a few tree branches with my hand I would have done just that. Thankfully, all I needed to do was hose a stinky fish oil mess off the roof and soffits of my parents' house and sneak my clothes into the washing machine. That marked the end of my home-made lure experiments.

-Gary

10. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Gary, that home-made fish oil is nasty stuff. Like most kids of my time, I tried the instructions in one of the old A.R. Harding trapping books. What a stink! Nowadays I just buy it by the gallon and let somebody else have the fun.

11. chipking

chipking TS Member

In the 80s I was there when WD-40 saved a NASA launch. One of the GO/No-GO items on the launch list was an X-Y plotter that was used to plot a vital piece of the rocket motor telemetry during launch. Deviation from a very specific plot was a part of the self destruct decision chain. Launch -36 and our plotter dies. Wait we have one in California. On a jet and on it's way. It arrives with 23 hours to go and we find that one of the over zealous engineers had taped everything in place with masking tape to the platen (where the plotter paper sits)and the residue is everywhere. The platen is plastic and uses an electrostatic charge to hold the plotting paper down so all the normal sticky residue remover is a no no. We ended up using WD-40 to remove the residue and then isopropyl alcohol to remove the WD-40 residue and we were back in business.

--- Chip King ---

12. valkyrie

valkyrie TS Member

When I was about 15 I had 4 guns that I took apart and cleaned. I then sprayed WD-40 on everything including the trigger mechanisms; 870,bolt actions, Browning and put them on a gun rack in the bedroom.
    Several months later when I tried to fire one of them,it didn't fire quickly.
    After another try I took the gun apart and found the trigger action was all sticky/gummy causing a very slow action of its parts. I tried the other guns with the same result. I then cleaned all that off and used regular gun oil and all was well after that with the guns firing properly when the trigger was pulled.
    After that experience I only use Wd-40 for surface protection and for many of the things listed in above posts, but never again on triggers.
    It appears that over time the solvent in the product ,I assume there is one, evaporates over time leaving the sticky residue.
    I did not realize the base is fish oil.
    I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this over the years.This was 55 years ago.

Dick

13. TC

TC TS Member

After 30 years in manufacturing, WD-40 is a good cleaner/rust preventative and a lousy lubricant.

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I use it for everything. I knew it was fish oil. I also use it when Musky fishing as that is a long standing trick. Helps the blades rotate also.

15. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

valkyrie

When i went through the police academy in 81, I was shocked during the firearms training when we were told never, ever, under any circumstances to use WD40 on our sidearms.

It was explained that WD-40 would do what you said and would attract dirt as well. I guess there were some recorded incidents that some officers weapons failed to fire after using WD-40.

Before that, I used WD40 on everything. I was introduced to Break Free and have been using it ever since. Break Free, requires less, goes further and does not clog or attract dirt. I know there are new products that have come along, perhaps even better, but I still like Break Free.

16. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

If a guy has caught fish with WD-40 then that is great...

BUT IT IS STILL NOT MADE WITH FISH OIL!

Urban legends die hard...

17. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

What is the 10% non-hazardous ingredient?

18. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I don't know, but according to the company myth page if one looks about 1/3 of the page down this is the company statement...

PASTE FROM PAGE:

"What a Fish story!
    Myth: WD-40 contains fish oil.
    Fact:
    Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40. We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.

WD-40 Company has taken steps to respect and conserve the environment, and encourages its users to do the same. While WD-40 can be used to help protect fishing equipment from rust and corrosion, WD-40 Company does not recommend using WD-40 to attract fish.

“WD-40 Cures Arthritis!” No Way.
    Myth: WD-40 cures arthritis.
    Fact:
    This popular headline, appearing at least once a year in the tabloids, is completely FALSE. WD-40 Company does not recommend the use of WD-40 for medical purposes, and knows no reason why WD-40 would be effective for arthritis pain relief. WD-40 contains petroleum distillates and should be handled with the same precautions for any product containing this type of material. "

19. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

WD-40 may be great stuff, but it's not a fits-all like Aspirin is in Medicine. I sprayed some WD-40 on a nylon bushing in a small device and the bushing swelled up and became unusable. The ingredients listed on a can of WD-40 say Petroleum Distillates, but not one word of Fish Oil. I was told by a very competent Gunsmith not to use it on my Perazzi. Larry

20. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

THe only substance better or atleast as effictive at shutting an 1100 down, Pepsi.

Have had both a Ljutic and Belgium Brownings rust overnite after use of WD40 in humid climes.

Early Perazzi ribs became detached from barrels. In almost ever incident, WD40 was used as a protectant.

Believe what you must and use what you may...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
does wd-40 separate when it sits for a while
facts about wd-40

interesting facts about wd40

interesting wd 40
weird facts about wd 40