1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

some good people who sold items on trap circuit!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    over the past 40 years i have met some real good honest people who sold guns, and shooting related products. they traveled from shoot to shoot, were friendly and honest, and were a pleasure to talk to. over the years you could say that they became friends, and i always enjoyed seeing them at the larger shoots.

one man who sticks out was Frenchy Frigon and his wife. every year he came to the wisconsin state shoot and i usually purchased a gun from frenchy or a stock. if i was trading in a gun or selling it outright to him he would say "partner, exactly how much do you want for the gun? i will say yes or know to your price. sale was always fare, and worth the good stories he would tell. i also enjoyed speaking to mrs. frenchy, she was always nice as well. last time i saw frenchy, he had just gotten to the wisconsin state shoot and he had to leave, his sister had passed away, that was the last time i saw him.

another good guy i enjoyed seeing each year was "Minnesota Bob" i always talked and chewed the fat with him, purchased some of his items, he seemd to be a good honest man. last few state shoots i have not seen him, hope he's ok.

like evryone in life, i have met some people who you shooke with your right hand, and held on to your wallet with your left hand , but those were few and far between.

who have you met over the years that traveled the trap circuit and was a pleasure to deal with and talk to.

steve balistreri

2. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Scott Hyde of Hydeal, the late Paul Warrick, Gregg Hissem and Ed Yanchok come to mind all being great prople and honset highly comptant business men.

Guy Babin

3. JOND

JOND TS Member

Add Karl Hampel to the list,please. JOND

4. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

THE WOLK BOYS AT SHOTGUN SPECIALTIES-DOUG & DAVE. ALWAYS GOT WHAT I WANTED.

RICK ZINO

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

The two that come readily to my mind are Letha and Denzel Sisson, owners of the old "Orland Supply". They traveled every where together. These were two of the very best of the best, I have ever met. I remember about 20 plus years or so ago, I was in Orland, CA buying some components from Denzel and noticed a new MEC loader sitting on the counter, in pieces. I asked Denzel about it and he told me it was the newest thing from MEC, a 9000H with a hydraulic pump. I asked him how it worked and he said he didn't have a clue. He told me he had had it in his shop for about 4 months and no one knew how it worked and nobody was the least bit interested in it so it just became a "conversation piece" in the store. I asked him if all the parts were there to assemble it and he assured me they were, but the box it came in was long gone. To make a long story short, Denzel gave me the loader for $200.00, and threw in 5 bags of shot to get it out of the store. I'm still loading on that old 9000H! Another time I bought a couple Perazzi release triggers from him in Tucson and was a bit short on cash. Letha just handed me the triggers and told me to send the money when I got home. They just don't make them like the Sisson's any more... I miss them both... Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I always bought from Hampel at the grand

7. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

AHH YES....."Doggie Dougie and Doggie Daddy Dave".......see you guys soon in Florida.......Guess who................RUN'EM

8. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

MIke Battista, Whiz White and Joel Etchen (&Mark) are TOP NOTCH...LarryB

9. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Dan, thanks for the story about the Sissons. You're absolutely right, they were a class act. I always looked them up at a shoot whether I was in the market to buy anything or not. Letha was one of the nicest ladies anywhere, and Denzel was always way more than fair - and honesty was never a question! Hard to find people like that, but it's sure great when you do. Jerry in Oregon

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Allen Timney was fair and square with me. Rest his soul.

11. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Nadine Ljutic has always been very pleasant and will answer most any dumb question I can think of. Jimmy Ljutic seems to be more like his mom and Joe was a little rough on the edges like Al. Kathy Mclean (sp) now deceased was usually in their booth at the Ohio Grands. Glenn

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Paul Sedwick. GRHS.

13. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Mr Hollingsworth who does stock work.I don't know if he traveled the curcuit but I stuck my screwdriver threw my stock trying to get a rediculously tight srcew loose to remove my stock that I was going to have him put an adjustable comb on.I never met the man in my life and we talked for an hour on the phone .Long story short he put the best adjustable comb in and fixed the hole I made in the stock for nothing.It is the best adjustable comb I have ever had and I defy anybody to find the spot on the stock he fixed.I haven,t seen him advertise on here lately or if he is working or well but that was my 1st real trapgun and he treated me like I was his next door neibhor.

Darr Wilson

14. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Phil Crenweldge ( Dr. Phil) He was the second part of the old P&P gunsmithing) I am sure Pat had his fans as well but Phil just happened to do all my work. It was always done right the first time and at a very fair price. Nice guy to visit with as well. Jeff

15. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Anyone in the midwest knows Tom Larkin "Stock Shop", one of the hardest working stock men in the business. His trailer is usually fullm of his faithful followers. Also does good work besides advice. Glenn

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The Albrights. I have 4 of their great belts but they've shrunk.

17. tp

tp TS Member

I have had the opportunity to meet some great people in this sport. One that I will always remember is Bill Cole. Bought one of his shotguns from him at a PITA Grand a few years ago. A true gentleman.

18. jwells

jwells Member

allen timney and wendel schroll

19. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Bill Mains the engraver. Always seems to remember your name.

Eric

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I would be hard pressed to single out any one vendor that I have had dealings with over the years, with the exception of Red Meador they have all been great in their own special way ... I have bought things I really didn't need and or want just because they showed at most of the shoots that I attended ... Those that are gone leave behind many memorys for us to carry with us, until we meet again ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

denzel sisson

rj anton gunsmith