1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Somali pirate lawyers plan strategy

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by nspktr1, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

NEW YORK – The sole surviving Somali pirate from the hostage-taking of an American ship captain arrived in New York on Monday, smiling for a gaggle of cameras and reporters as federal agents led him into custody to face charges in the attack.

Abduhl Wali-i-Musi (AHB'-dul wahl-ih-MOO'-sih) was handcuffed and had a chain wrapped around his waist. His left hand was heavily bandaged from the wound he suffered during the skirmish on the ship two weeks ago.

The smiling teenager seemed poised as he entered a federal building in a rainstorm, but he didn't say anything in response to reporters' shouted questions about whether he had any comment about the pirate episode.

Wali-i-Musi is the first person to be tried in the United States on piracy charges in more than a century. He was flown from Africa to a New York airport and taken into custody ahead of a court hearing Tuesday.

A law enforcement official familiar with the case said that the teenager was being charged under two obscure federal laws that deal with piracy and hostage-taking. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the charges had not been announced.

The teenager's arrival came on the same day that his mother appealed to President Barack Obama for his release. She says her son was coaxed into piracy by "gangsters with money."

"I appeal to President Obama to pardon my teenager; I request him to release my son or at least allow me to see him and be with him during the trial," Adar Abdirahman Hassan said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press from her home in Galka'yo town in Somalia.

The age and real name of the young pirate remained unclear. The mother said he is only 16 years old and is named Abdi Wali Abdulqadir Muse. The law enforcement official says he is at least 18, meaning prosecutors will not have to take extra legal steps to put him on trial in a U.S. court.

His worried family asked the Minneapolis-based Somali Justice Advocacy Center to help get him a lawyer, said the organization's executive director, Omar Jamal.

"What we have is a confused teenager, overnight thrown into the highest level of the criminal justice system in the United States out of a country where there's no law at all," Jamal said. Wali-i-Musi speaks no English and may never have attended school, he said.

The suspect was taken aboard a U.S. Navy ship shortly before Navy SEAL snipers killed three of his colleagues who had held Capt. Richard Phillips hostage.

The U.S. officials said the teenager was brought to New York to face trial in part because the FBI office here has a history of handling cases in Africa involving major crimes against Americans, such as the al-Qaida bombings of two U.S. embassies in East Africa in 1998.

Ron Kuby, a New York-based civil rights lawyer, said he has been in discussions about forming a legal team to represent the Somalian.

"I think in this particular case, there's a grave question as to whether America was in violation of principles of truce in warfare on the high seas," said Kuby. "This man seemed to come onto the Bainbridge under a flag of truce to negotiate. He was then captured. There is a question whether he is lawfully in American custody and serious questions as to whether he can be prosecuted because of his age."

___

Associated Press Writers Tom Hays in Riverside, Calif., Devlin Barrett in Washington, Larry Neumeister and Jennifer Peltz in New York and Malkhadir M. Muhumed in Nairobi, Kenya, contributed to this report.

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Can't we save time and expend a bullet? I'm sure if given the chance he would!

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Watch him and his Mom end up in the states living on the government tit. Turban Durbin will porbably arrange for advanced courses so he can become a scientist or doctor.

4. waterhouselake

waterhouselake TS Member

Why are they wasting resources trying this POS. He should of had to walk the plank in the Indian Ocean chained to an anvil...

5. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I saw them parading him around on the news this morning, he was the one with a big smile on his face. It will end up being the best move of his life.

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Well, he certainly will be better cared for than Obama's brother in Kenya.

7. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Somali pirate lawyers plan strategy for his (funeral),,,,???

8. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

You people have no mercy or compassion. His lawyers said he came to the American ship under a flag of truce. We should honor that flag of truce and let him return to the same place he started from when he raised the flag of truce.

I am sure that in this day of modern GPS positioning, the Navy should be able to return him to the exact same longitude and latitude he started from. We should even be so charitable to give him a new swim suit for his swim home. Sorry that the boat he came from isn't available anymore but things sometime happen that way.

At least we would be returning him to the life he knew. Of course now, if he decided to apply for asylum, we would probably have to launch a months long investigation to see if he would qualify. I remember a line from Bill Cosby that might apply, "Noah! How long can you tread water?"

9. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

This will end up as a media ZOO. I'm sure his Family WILL be brought to the US. We will spend an inordinate amount of taxpayer funds on the entire mess. The Pirate will be shown by his high dollar Attorneys to me "misunderstood" or they will try to play the "He's only 16 yoa" card to get him off.

When he's freed after the system spends several million dollars of taxpayer money on his defense , he and all oof hiis Family will file to stay in America. And I'm sure O will grant it.

This is unless O caves in the next few weeks and simply frees the POS.

I know we had to endure a Carter before we were blessed with a Reagen....but these are some very SAD times right now.

FN in MT

10. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

All I can say is if we don't HANG him we're making a big mistake. Make it known world wide we will NOT put up with this no matter what the reasons. I see him getting off already because he might be a juvi. Hanging is what used to be done to pirates and I don't see where that should chage any.

11. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I look for his mother to be brought to this country and both to ask for political asylum which will eventually be granted.

12. Laudygirl

Laudygirl TS Member

When will the race card be played?

13. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

This trial & media circus will eventually cost more than if they would have paid the ransom price for the Captain. Should have just shot him like the others while they had the chance. Colonel

14. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I do not know why they didn't. Were there cameras around?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.