1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Solving Flinching Problems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shamlin, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shamlin

shamlin Member

OK, after having recently gotten back into trapshooting, I am beginning to remember one of the reasons I quit a while back. In the last 3 weeks I have developed a really bad flinching problem. It is to the point where my brain pulls the trigger, but my finger doesn't, prompting me to practically fall flat on my face. It is costing me an average of 5 targets per 100. It is getting very frustrating to the point I am not having a whole lot of fun. I think I am so prone to it now, that it is getting worse because I am "expecting" it to happen at any time. I have heard that the only way to improve upon it is to go to a release trigger. Is that the only way, or is there some other process I can work through? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

A release trigger is the best way I know to get rid of a flinch. One thing you might try, as a temporary fix, is increasing the trigger pull. It is counter intuitive, but a heaver trigger seems to reduce flinching and a light trigger increases flinching for many shooters.

Pat Ireland

3. ismah

ismah Member

SHAMLIN: I solved my flinch problem by exaggerating my follow through. I force myself to hold the gun up, in position, well after I pull the trigger. It worked for me, maybe it will work for you.

4. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

I agree with Pat , increase the trigger pull and see if that helps. If not go to a release.

5. Smac66

Smac66 TS Member

I was at about the same place you are. The flinch costing me targets all the time. Went to a release trigger and it stopped totally. I would not be shooting right now if I hadn't switched.

6. tuckpa

tuckpa TS Member

Ask your brother. He's been knocking the centers out of them. See you later this month..........Aaron

7. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

Scott,
    call me or email me.

Jerry nickell

8. Recoil Problems

Recoil Problems TS Member

p u llllll

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

solving a flinch problem in shooting