1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SOLVENT FOR CLEANING CHOKE TUBES

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Mar 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

IS THERE ANY PRODUCT FOR CLEANING CHOKE TUBES. I HAVE WIRE BRUSHED AND ALL THE OTHER THINGS AND I STILL HAVE PLASTIC LEFT IN. BESIDES THE TIME INVALVED TRYING TO GET ALL THE RESIDUE OUT,IT'S JUST A PAIN.

IS THERE ANY PLASTIC REMOVING SOLVENT AVAILABLE TO REMOVE THIS.

2. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

What wads are you useing????.Birchwood Casey--Gun Scrubber works for me.

Sandy

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Gibbs, BrakeClean have worked well for me...

regards,

Jay

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Acetone, paint thinner, lacquer thinner, xylene, TCE, carbon tetrachloride and petroleum ether are the solvents I have that will remove plastic. Acetone evaporates fast, paint thinner is cheap and the rest can cause serious health problem if used incorrectly. You can discover which of these solvents is best by placing them in plastic bottles and see which one dissolves the bottle first.

Pat Ireland

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I have a one piece brass cleaning rod chucked into a cordless drill. I use a brass brush and wd40. Keeps the bore and choke squeaky clean. Takes about 15 seconds. Absolutely no need for harsh chemicals and rubber gloves.

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

My guess is that it's lead, not plastic, and an over-night soak in Shooter's Choice Lead Remover followed by a scrub with a stainless steel bore brush will remove it.

MK

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

WWW.Clenzoil.com, and all of your troubles will be over ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. VAN

VAN TS Member

Xylene and Xylol are the same,and can be dangerous. Use caution when/or if using it. Exposure to high levels of xylene for short periods can cause irritation of the skin, eyes, nose, and throat, difficulty in breathing and other problems with the lungs, memory difficulties,stomach discomfort, and possibly adverse effects on the liver and kidneys. It can cause unconsciousness and even death at very high levels. Xylene or products containing Xylene should not be used indoors or around food.
    Personally, I would find a safer solvent.

VAN

9. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Just use a turbo brush and Hoppie's # 9 followed by a patch.

No drill needed, just a cleaning rod back and forth.

Cleans the choke tube in place as well as porting holes.

The turbo brush dose a nice job on the bore also.

Charlie

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

They are linking Xylene to liver cancer. We used to use it to wash caulk from our hands and tools. not anymore.

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I bought a solid stainless rod with a foot bar, you stand on it while pumping and turning the barrel, under the wire brush there is a also a slot for a rag or patch. Make sure you place a cloth over the barrel to prevent black splatter on your nice shirt and glasses when the brush clears the barrel or tube.

Tom Larkin has them.

12. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

The WD40 short soak with bronze brush works fast and well for me. I doubt that there is little if any lead there, mostly melted plastic and carbon from the powder burning process.

JMO

Larry

13. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

VAN,

Sounds as if Xylene and my ex-wife's cooking have a lot in common!

<a href="http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm301/ecshooter/?action=view&current=image002.gif" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

ss

14. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

I am with JerryP

15. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Slip 2000 choke tube cleaner works great.

16. 525Shooter

525Shooter Member

I also use Slip 2000 and it is great. Plus, it is non-toxic.

17. DanAKAL

DanAKAL TS Member

Hoppes #9 and/or WD-40. Soak in either at least overnight, I usually give it several days. Then a bronze brush. I haven't tried very many cleaners since I started using these as these two seem to work really well.

Dan

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

shannon391- "cover the end of the barrel with a rag to prevent black splatters on your shirt?"-- No!. The number of black splatters on my shirt is my guide to how clean the barrel is. My wife has a good heart and a good washing machine. I also estimate the number of reloads I have made by the number of spent primers that fall on the floor. I believe it is important to be quantitative when cleaning my gun and reloading.

Pat Ireland

19. Landshark

Landshark Member

I use mineral spirits and a brass brush. Soak for 10-15 minutes and 1 pass with the brush and they are clean.

20. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Brass brush with a little 0000 steel wool wraped around it. Attach to a short cleaning rod. Chuck the rod in a Battery powered drill. Dip the brush in hopps number Nine. Insert in tube. Turn on drill. Run for a little while (30 seconds), the tube will get warm in your hand. Your tube will be sparkling. Easy and smells good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to clean choke tubes

solvent for cleaning chokes