1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SOLVED: Light Contour Barrel on older 1100

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I've come into possession of a nice Contour Light Barrel, 30 inch, 12G with Rem Chokes. It seems to "fit" on my 1986 100 Trap model, but the piston rings get trapped in the larger ring on the barrel.

Is there a fix that will allow me to use this barrel on my older gun?

Thanks,

Larry Frieders
    Grandpa's Arms, Inc.
    http://www.grandpasarms.com
    340 Marshall Ave #100 | Aurora, IL 60506
    Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm
    Office: 630.859.0333 FAX: 630.859.0114

2. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Just clean the inside of the gas ring with a steel brush to get rid of the carbon inside it. This is what is trapping your piston assembly. JM

3. mag410

mag410 Active Member

JM is correct, the issue does not relate to the barrel being of the Light/Target contour variety. Clean the gas cylinder (barrel hanger).

You will probably also need a light contour fore end as the standard fore end will not fit well against the barrel.

Michael

4. GrandpasArms

I cleaned and polished the piston and seal and the inside of the chamber on the barrel. Reassembled and pushed bolt to rear, released it - and the trigger wouldn't release. Disassembled the gun to find that both the piston and the piston seal are now lodged inside the gas cylinder. I can't get them out. Fortunately I have a spare set.

Any suggestions for removing them without damage?

Larry

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

OK, I'm assuming that everything is assembled in the correct order and you are using the correct brand of rings and barrel. I just took one of mine apart and slipped the loose rings into the gas chamber. They both go in easily and are sloppy loose. I would soak the gas chamber in solvent (Ed's Red, etc) and gently push them out from the front end. Something is definately not right. Mark

6. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Maybe there ia an extra piston assembly that came with the barrel inside the gas ring? FWIW. JM

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Are you using the one piece ring or the two ring version? HMB

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Bent gas cylinder.

9. GrandpasArms

Two rings.

I'm going to look CAREFULLY to see if MY rings are forced up inside another set of rings. However, I'm certain the EXTRA set would have been noticeable well before I cycled the assembled gun.

Thanks for all the input so far.

I'll get those darned things free.

BTW, all parts of the barrel are spotless and smooth - not a speck of dust or oil anywhere.

Larry

10. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

Sounds like that barrel ws dropped or the gas cyl was welded on crooked. You said "came into my posession" Well, unless you know that the previous owner had no issues with it, maybe it was droped or maybe a production "second" that somehow got out of Ilion. I have shot a newer light contour barrel from a sporting 1100 on a 70's receiver with no issues. The 1100 light contours did came with the one piece ring assy. But I am not aware that old 2 piece are any different in diameter. A gunsmith should be able to take the necessary measurments and possibly correct a slight out of round issue. If it was mine and I had a little binding I would probably run a brake cyl hone through it.

11. GrandpasArms

Plenty of oil, a wood dowel, and some hammer tapping released the rings from inside gas cylinder. That's the good news.

Unfortunately, the gas cylinder IS out of round. The forward ring will drop into place but the rearward one won't go in without some effort.

I purchased the barrel at a "good" price and now I understand why is was so low. Buyer beware. I've learned a lesson. That's good. I am not going to try to fix it myself (Danger Will Robinson, Danger) and I don't know a gunsmith.

Therefore, I now have a lightly used 30 inch, 12 gauge, Remington Light Contour 1100 barrel with a Rem Choke that will adorn a shelf in my shop. I'd like to unload it, of course, but I'm not so desperate that I'd sell something that doesn't do what it should - without repair. Even if I could get it back into round, I'd hesitate shooting with it - one damaged area might not be the only damage - and I have a hard enough time shooting straight without also using a crooked barrel.

Thanks for all of the advice. I was able to successfully remove the piston rings. They look perfect. I tried them with another barrel and they seem to function perfectly. They'll be my backup set.

Larry

12. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Larry:
    I know a gunsmith in Oswego. He might be able to repair the barrel.
    PM me.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

13. willing

willing Member

I just bought a 11-87 w/LC barrell and the rings worked the same as yours, stuck ring removed with dowel. I cleaned the gas cylinder thoroghly and it works correctly. I think yours really just needs to be cleaned. I cannot reasonably see how that culinder can be out of round, probably just a hard coat of carbon. More cleaner and maybe scraping. After all how can you hurt it any more by trying.

Bill

14. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

brake cylinder hone!

15. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Have you miked the the thing in all it's circumference dimentions. This should tell tou something. The hone idea sounds good. Just run very slowly so you don't take out too much metal & be sure to use a brand new set of stone. Watch for edge wear,reverse the stones if it starts.

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Instead of honing the barrel cylinder why not take a little off the ring that doesn't fit. Hone the inside of the ring and make the slot a little wider and it should work. HMB

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    LUGNUTZ426, quote: <i>"brake cylinder hone!"</i>

That's what I did on an old 1100 Trap gun that had a copious amount of rust in the gas chamber (the correct term for the "barrel hanger"). But mine was not out of round. A hone might widen the gas chamber, but not make it truly round.

[​IMG]

hmb, quote: <i>"Instead of honing the barrel cylinder why not take a little off the ring that doesn't fit. Hone the inside of the ring and make the slot a little wider and it should work. HMB"</i>

That might be quite a chore. The two piece rings appear to be made of a hardened steel. The interlocked rings ("one piece") appear to be plated or made from a shiny alloy.

18. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

that looks a tad more than copious....the correct technical term I believe is
    a "Sh tload of rust"

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I sure had a helluva time getting the rings out, tell you what.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remminton 1100 with light contour barrel

will a light contour remington 1100 barrel work on any 1100