1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Solo 1000

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shootman, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shootman

shootman TS Member

I notice not many shooters on here use solo 1000. I have been using it for about 4 years now in 1oz and 11/8oz. loads in fed hulls and I think it performs really well in warm and cold weather. Just curious is there a down side to it that I am missing. BOB

2. Big Dog Dad

Big Dog Dad Active Member

A lot of folks told me I shouldn't waste my time trying to reload the Wally World Federal steel headed shells. So to be contrary, I tried with 18.5 grains Solo 1000, 1 oz. #8's, Win 209 primer, and the Claybuster sub for Federal 12SO wads. I've only had one blooper in the last two weeks and even though you've got to slam the round home in the chamber because of the steel head, so far, so good. I've always used Solo 1000!

Mike

3. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

Prolly not exaggerating to state that SOLO 1000 is the the exclusive powder that this trapshooting hopeful has tossed his pellets with for about 20 years now.

I think it is a great product. If there is a down-side, I've yet to discover it. Just my humble opinion.........

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Downsides:
    Not made in the USA;
    Not perticularly cheap;
    Lack of consistency in weight/density from keg to keg.
    That being said, I've used lots of it and will continue to in 1 oz loads.
    Clean burning and soft shooting.

5. TD1958

TD1958 Member

Hell you just described almost every powder out there!!!!Tim

6. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Solo 1000 has been particularly inconsistent. I started using it when it first came out. It was made in Scotland at that time and was a great powder somewhat like PB albeit a little faster. After a short run in Scotland it was manufactured in several other countries. As I recall different lots that I bought were made in France, Hungary, Spain and Czech Republic with no notice from the company of the change. Each time the country of manufacture changed it required a larger or smaller bushing (sometimes by several bushing sizes) to throw the same weight. I found that the later versions bore little resemblance to the original Solo 1000. I became tired of the constant change and switched to other powders that were consistently manufactured in the same plant. Where is Solo 1000 made now?

7. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

I do beleave it is made in the US now.At $ 11.00 a lb., I buy all I can get....

8. over/under

over/under Member

Very clean burning. Meters very consistent on my Mec. Best if you can buy it in 25lb kegs. I think it is soft shooting also.

9. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I don't like it. Jim

10. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I like it and have used it with good success.

Rich in Indiana

11. Texas Trap Shooter

Texas Trap Shooter Member

Over 15 years of use - very good product. Sold in 25 lb kegs.

Ron

12. JTEA

JTEA Member

Many shooters don't realize that Solo has a micro-cotton base, rather than cellulose base (wood chips). Due to the use of cotton, every batch is different and you must adjust your loads accordingly to get the same velocities. Also, the use of cotton gives it the exceptionally clean burn. It is also used in large military loads and they run tests on each load and adjust accordingly to maintain exact velocities.

In the past, Solo batches seemed to vary more than now. It also speaks to buying larger containers so you don't have to adjust as often. I used to buy 25# containers for these reasons, and to save a little more $. Check for matching lot #'s if you buy more than one jug at a time. A chronograph (get someone at your club to help if you don't have one) is invaluable for any loading. It also meters very well, used to be a bit smaller.

I began using Solo when it was a small company in Delaware; a couple decades ago. When they sold the company and they started moving it, got sporadic etc., I went back to PB for several years. Since then I have now used Solo for more than the past decade.

There are excellent powder resource books available at Ballistic Products. Every powder has a different burn rate and thus different loads require different rates to burn properly.

Also, Nitrocellulose based powders are soaked in the equivalent of TNT. They are then coated with a burn retardant to meet the requirements desired. The only difference in all of them are the size of flakes and the retardants used. Very slow burners like Blue Dot are made for very large, fast hunting loads etc. which generate a lot of pressure.

Good luck, JT

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Solo 1000 is my favorite powder of all time. I use it exclusively, for everything except Caps, which gets Solo 1250.

25 lb kegs are the way to go.

14. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

I can't find 25 lb kegs anymore, was buying from Jim at Richland and he told me he can no longer get 25 lb kegs.They will not ship them ??

15. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Clarified my original post which responded to the original question asked and stopped there.

16. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

I started using it several years ago using a recipe I got from Texas Trap Shooter. I have used it exclusively for my 1 oz singles loads. It shoots well and breaks the birds well.

17. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I read the write up on Solo 1000 in Ballistic Product's Powder manual, and others. It sounded magical. I bought some and tried it, only to find it was just another powder. I liked it, but stopped using it because of the variability.

Last year, while chronographing my reloads, a friend asked me to test his. His were light 1 oz. loads. I did, and was astounded to see only a 7fps variation over 10 shells for an SD of 3. Yes, it could have been a fluke, but I was impressed. I'm thinking of trying it again for my 1 1/8oz loads, just to see how well it performs.

18. JTEA

JTEA Member

I have found the overall variation and SD to be very low with Solo 1000. As noted before, check loads form new batches and buy larger quantities so you don't have to change bushings etc. as often.

JT

19. shootman

shootman TS Member

Well I guess it is more popular than I thought. When I started shooting again in 1976 I was loading Int. clays in AA hulls but when Winchester changed there hulls I quit loading them and went to fed. hulls, then to solo 1000 and always had very good luck with it. I load 18.5 gr., clay buster 12so wad, fiochi prim.,1oz.#8 shot in gold madal and top gun hulls for singles and 20.5 gr., downrange 12s3 wad 11/8 of7.5 for caps [25.5 yards] in gold medal hulls. I have bought the 25# kegs in the past but they are a little harder to come by now a days so I usually buy 8 pounders at the bigger shoots and still is cheaper than most others. BOB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.