1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SOLO 1000 VS. PROMO

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by THALL, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THALL

THALL Member

I have been reloading with Solo 1000 for about a year & 1/2. I picked up a couple of 8 # jugs of Promo as part of a package deal. Would appreciate any feedback on comparison of the two powders based upon your experience. Thanks in advance. Tim Hall

2. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

I just started using promo,I found that i will use 1 1/2 gr. less with promo than with solo 1000.

I prefer 1000, but the cost has just gotten out of sight.($310.00 ) for 25 lbs..
    I still use 1000 for my handicap loads..

3. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Promo is a denser powder requiring less space in hull. My #31 Mec bushing drops 18gr of Promo. Great powder for the price!

AndyH

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

Use Red Dot recipes for Promo and be safe.

I have loaded 6 jugs of it. Used it Beretta semi-auto and O/U's.

"Dirtier" than Clays. I save $30/jug. I wash my hands after I shoot anyway.

Don

5. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

Only shoot this stuff in a Over and Under. It's the nastiest powder I've ever seen. Looks like you just crapped down the holes. 296 or 110 would give you an idea of how nasty it is. Guys at work complain about it being erratic-lots of bloobers and such. Myself I use Red dot or nitro 100. 4andy10

6. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Solo has been manufactured in several different countries. I started using it when it was made in Scotland and it was great powder then. It was later manufactured in France and a couple of other countries that I don't recall right now. It got to be different each time I bought it so I gave up on it. I have used Promo for a couple of years now and find it to be very consistent although you should check the drop weight when you get a new supply. I don't find it to be all that dirty in break open guns or my semi-autos for that matter.

7. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I've gone through 3+ jugs of Promo, and never had any bad issues with it. No "bloopers" in hot or cold weather (not too cold in CA) and no problem with being "dirty, filthy or nasty" as some people bitch about. I clean my guns after shooting, and never found one powder to be harder to clean up after than another. It's not my favorite powder, but I'll shoot it without any doubts any time!

AndyH

8. harpo_old

harpo_old Guest

I have tried about everything and i think i will stick with the solo 1000 i did like the nitro 100 but not many 1 1/8 loads ..

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Solo 1000 is hard to beat.

Keep Promo pressures between 9000-10,000 psi and it will work well and burn clean in all climates.

10. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

glad to know that andy44 is the only one who cleans there guns after use!!! shooting coach maybe right about keeping up the pressure in the 9000 or above range. generally I shoot o&u's but I dont like that much trash down the barrels. Just a personal preference. my auto's get taken apart after each skeet league and hunting season is over. cleaned in parts washer blown dry reassembled, action bars I use transmission fluid on, the rest recieves a light mist of ole WD-40. Now do you go to this much trouble? 4andy10

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Dear 4andy10

I am an obsessive/compulsive gunsmith. I go to that much trouble. LOL

The best reason for going to the O/U.

I am glad that most folks DON"T clean their guns. I pick up a little pocket change cleaning and servicing other folk's guns.

OTOH, my Team only pays for parts. No parts, no charge. :^)

12. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

My high school auto mechanics teacher had me cleaning his 1100's that way when I was 16 and it kinda stuck. he always used trans fluid on action bars so I do to now. Miss the ole guy now, passed away few years back. Shot on his skeet teams for years. We were the first 4 man squads to record 200x200 in skeet. Kinda funny I always called him by Mr. Paul because he was my teacher, One day he told me to start calling him by his first name. said I had earned the right. all the loads I shoot I got from him. As far as powders go and such it's just a personal preference I suppose. I usually try to use Alliant powders as I believe they're made in Virgina. 4andy10

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Andy- Alliant powders are made in Montgomery County Virginia on Rt. 114 between the towns of Christiansburg and Radford. The second oldest river in the world (New River) runs through the plant. Montgomery County Virginia is in the Western part of Virginia in a small valley between the Blue Ridge and the Allegheny Plateau. When VA Tech scores a touchdown, the cheers can be heard at the Alliant plant and when the Alliant plant explodes, it can be heard at the VA Tech stadium.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.