Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solid wood range pistol cases

7K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  xringjim 
#1 ·
O.K., work with me here. I like to work with wood. If I were to make up some range pistol boxes say like a Pachmayr size 19" length, 14" high and 9" wide, (4 gun) would you guys here be interested? I mean, I'd make them from solid sheets of fancy wood (what's available) and fit them with all the nice brass corner and latch pieces. Off hand I'm thinking I'd have about 200 to 300 bucks into each box for materials. Would people here be willing to pay 600 or more for a one of a kind box? I'm serious so give me some good feed back. Thanks, Jim

#3 ·
Jim, I remember pistol range box's being highly desired during the 60's and 70's, even coveted one myself but don't see them often anymore, other than an old one like Alf described. Though you may find the rare individual who appreciates your craftsmanship and is willing to pay, the fact is you are looking at a small market. I believe the advent of hard cases and specialty carry bags pretty much killed the market for your product. Best of luck, I hope I'm wrong.

Robert

#4 ·
I'd love to have one, but I would have to pick it up at a VERY good price. All I see on the range these days is soft bags. Even the bullseye shooters (a vanishing breed around here) use soft range bags. Your price range really limits the market.

Bruce

#7 ·
I KNOW that a cheap version would sell extremely well. I can't bring myself to produce a pressed board box. I'm old school. Guns are to be respected not just for they're ability to cause harm. But to be held in high regard for they're workmanship and beauty. My goal would be to house four pistols of above value in price and to make the owner proud of the box that holds them. Crap! Who wants to put 8,000 dollars worth of guns in a cardboard box? Not me either. I'm going forth and make some of these. When I do I'll post pictures of them. I'm betting that a guy that takes care of his guns and really appreciates their care will pay 600+ for a one of a kind case. I mean, old Pachmayr cases go for 200 bucks every time they're listed on ebay. Jim

#8 ·
If you say you've got $200~300 worth of materials into them before even posting them for sale...and genuine Pachmayr boxes get _bidded up_ to a final price of $200 on E-Bay...I think you just answered your own question.

Doesn't sound like the numbers are working very well there.

#11 ·
xring,

As an ex-Bullseye shooter here is my view. First, you are asking on the wrong site.

I believe you can sell a few high end cases a year. Americase sells hundreds of cases for $400 to hold a shotgun. A well designed and unique pistol case for $500-600 is not much a stretch.

I have an old Pachmayr that still serves me well but they weigh quite a bit when loaded up with three or four pistols, spotting scope and ammo. The old farts like me that can afford one of your cases do not want to lug heavy crap around. Younger, well-heeled shooters who want/need to impress others are your target.

Good luck and do not let the nay-sayers discourage you. You are looking at a small investment to try your idea. Finding the right venue to sell your product will be the real challenge. Do a Google search for Bullseye forums and see what you find.

Don Verna

#15 ·
As an ex bullseye shooter I still have my Pachmayer case. I rarely use it because it is just too heavy and I have a bad back. I have been eying a new Gun-Ho case or possibly looking at a Case-Logic case because they are lighter.

While a beautiful case has some appeal I think you are looking at a very limited market. I have seen some beautiful cases on the line but they are usually made by their owners, not as a commercial venture.

Go to the Bian Enos forum and pose the question there since the demographics are basically handgun competitors.

#17 ·
I built some reloading benches to sell with similar results to your feedback. Made 4 of the 6' deluxe bench and 4 of the 4' simpler reloading bench. Only sold a couple. Just never could understand how there wasn't more of a market for a quality bench with as much time as we all spend sitting in front of it. Think I have a good universal design and a good product, but never really got alot of interest or orders. I have a cabinet shop so building the benches are not a big issue. Still have a few in my warehouse. I think there are pictures on the company website. Good luck with your boxes.
Shane

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.