1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Solid Ribs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Voolfie, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

I'm thinking about buying an old Winchester M12 'Heavy Duck'. It would, in my opinion, be a great trap gun - in addition to (obviously) being a great duck gun. My question for the collective wisdom here at TS.com is this: I've heard that solid rib guns (as opposed to ventilated rib guns) permit visual distortion created by a hot barrel. At what point does this become a problem: 100 targets? 200 targets?

I should probably add that I'm not a "serious" (ATA-style) trap shooter and that I regularly compete with an original 1906-vintage Winchester 1897 trap gun, a 1922-vintage A.H. Fox 'J' grade trap gun and a 1960-vintage Aguirre & Aranzabal sidelock pigeon gun.

Any useful input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

J.F. Wolfington
    Philadelphia, PA

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

In my opinion it wouldn't be any different than what you are experiencing when you shoot your M97 which doesn't have a VR unless an aftermarket one was added.

3. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Vent rib, whether side rib or top rib, does not do squat with getting rid of those "heat waves", IMO. This past weekend I was shooting my 28 gauge (K20). Here is a gun with no side ribs and a good sized height vented top rib. The "heat waves' were clearly visible and creating a visual distortion after 100 rounds. And the temperature was in the mid 70s, sunny, no humidity. Of course I was shooting straight through a sporting clays course without stopping (except to walk to the next station) to let my barrels cool down. Thus if you don't want to see visual distortion, I think you need to take a break every now and then to let your barrels cool down.

4. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

For occasional trapshooting the Duck gun is a real performer. With that slug of lead in the buttstock and the thicker barrel its a pass shooters dream but not something for a 100 bird event on a hot day. Mine was a 32" solid rib and the barrel got quite hot after 25 targets. Have a Model 97 for my nostalgia days now.

5. below 0

below 0 TS Member

The only downfall I can think of other than the weight, is that a solid rib will be effected more by wind. If you arn't a ATA shooter and don't shoot in all weather, then it shouldn't make a difference. Odie

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I'd wager a large sum of money that there isn't a shooter out there that could tell the difference b/w a solid rib and vent rib when it comes to WIND RESISTANCE. Thanks for the giggle though.

7. larryjk

larryjk Member

Many, many years ago I was shooting a Field grade Model 12 (30"barrel with solid rib)at a "meat" shoot in January in Colorado. It was "cold". After about 15 shots the front half of the barrel was not visible due to the heat waves in the cold air. I got myself a factory trap gun with a ventilated rib for those games instead of using the field gun.

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

On a hot day, carry along a damp towel. A few quick wipes of the barrel ... and it cools right down!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.