1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Soldiers Donating More to Obama than McCain

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Trappy12, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

I found this very interesting...constructive thoughts?
    WASHINGTON (AP) -- U.S. soldiers have donated more presidential campaign money to Democrat Barack Obama than to Republican John McCain, a reversal of previous campaigns in which military donations tended to favor GOP White House hopefuls, a nonpartisan group reported Thursday.

Troops serving abroad have given nearly six times as much money to Obama's presidential campaign as they have to McCain's, the Center for Responsive Politics said.

The results also are striking because they favored Obama, who never has served in the military. McCain meanwhile, is a decorated war veteran who spent nearly five years as a prisoner of war in Vietnam. The Arizona senator graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy and had a 22-year career as a naval aviator.

The report tracked donations of $200 or more. It found that 859 members of the military donated a total of $335,536 to Obama. McCain received $280,513 from 558 military donors.

Among soldiers serving overseas at the time of their donations, 134 gave a total of $60,642 to Obama while 26 gave a total of $10,665 to McCain. That was less than the amount received by Republican Ron Paul, who collected $45,512 from 99 soldiers serving abroad, the report said.
    -Trappy

2. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I wonder if they were American Soldiers?

3. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

What is left out is that probably most of the donations were from Black service members. African Americans as a general rule are(unfortunately) making this campaign an issue of RACE.If you think most service members are supporting Obama then you are sadly mistaken! I can assure you, I talk to more service members that most of you will ever do and I can assure you I have not found one that is not African American who supports Obama!

4. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

The African Americans are making it about race? Without using the morons like Jackson and Sharpton, who is?
    -Trappy

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

It's kind of sad to say but Slide you are correct. I have yet to speak any white service member who is supporting Obama regardless of age. Jackie B.

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Gee, I didn't know the French paid their soldiers that well. LOL

PS: Check the math. It doesn't make sense.

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Gosh I wonder who leaked this out.

Trappy: Let me assure you that the military does not want Obama as their Commander in Chief.

Don

8. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

If this report is accurate, it must be that the current administration faces a leadership & creditability deficit with the people in uniform.

9. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Buddy O, that's what I was leaning towards as well. We should be treating our veterans like royalty, yet they are given next to nothing.
    -Trappy

10. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

Like it or not, and obviously we don't, McCain is running with W's record attached to his coat tails. Many reasons for this. In spite of McCain's claims that he is a maverick in the GOP, his voting record is clear as a bell, and it shows he voted with Bush 93%+ of the time. The debate was saccharin and vanilla for most who followed it closely. McCain constantly bashed Obama, rightfully so, but he never once looked him in the eye or even in his general direction. He looked phoney up there and very uncomfortable. IT brought back memories of the Bush/Clinton debate when all Bush Sr. could do was tell everyone what a bad person Clinton was. He avoided comments about the economy which was horrific under him just as it is under Junior now. In the end I am afraid that the old slogan that dogged Sr. to his political grave will soon attach itself to McCain. "It's the economy stupid...."

11. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

How many of those supposed 93% of votes that McCain voted with George Bush were against liberal nonsense or bills containing pork barrel earmarks? What were the 7% of bills that he voted against the interest of George Bush? The percentage by itself is a Red Herring. How many of either did Obama even vote on or did he vote "present"?

Interestingly Obama claimed in the debate that his liberal voting record was due to his voting against George Bush's policies. Yea.....like voting with Hillary Clinton and 12 others to cut off funding for the Troops.

Here is one of the few bills introduced by Obama:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=56405

He wants to give $845 billion tax dollars to the UN.

12. BustClays

BustClays Member

It has been shown in surveys that 19% of Americans believe that we have alien space invaders living amongst us. If less than 1% of our military contributes to Obama that only shows that the military has fewer nut cases than the general population.

bustclays

13. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

ou.3200,

There is an old addage that goes: "Never doubt or minimize the power of stupid people in large numbers." All that is being said is political rhetoric at it's best. McCain made Obama's voting record a pertinent point and now Obama is returning the favor. Many of those 93% votes are straight party line votes which is politics as usual on BOTH SIDES of the aisle. It doesn't mean that McCain passionately supported everything he voted for, it means he realized the power and the value of give and take. It it's the way of two party politics. To get something later, you have to give something now.

The average American voter could give a crap less who is in office as long as they can stay on their personal "hedonic treadmill". In simple terms, if the machine rolls on and over them at times, it is acceptable as long as they can do the things they want. High interest rates, even higher gas prices and related increases in groceries, heating and cooling bills, etc. all take more and more of their play money away from them and they don't like that. The party in office ALWAYS takes the blame, and our folks are at the helm right now.

As sad as it may seem to you, people will vote with their wallets first and common sense goes away quickly.

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Trappy...

Cite your sources. If not, shut up and enjoy a dark corner with no toys.

Curt

15. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

grnberetcj, try reading it. It's an AP article I dug up. It even says it at the top.
    -Trappy

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Trappy- The expression of your young idealistic political positions will not change my mind. I am not able to express my political positions in a manner that will change your mind. Our life experiences are the only thing that could change our positions. The only reason I can see that we keep trying to change others is to convince ourselves that we are correct.

Pat Ireland

17. chessney

chessney TS Member

It amazes me to see the responses from these Rep's..When Obama wins I suspect they will say "He didn't win, it was fixed" Good work you diehards!!!...Ziggy

18. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

19. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I guess they think he is going to bring them home to their families. I also guess they didn't see the debate the other day. He is not bringing them home. His plan is to surrender in Iraq then take the troops into Afghanistan and prepare for an invasion of Pakistan. All this while cutting defense spending, cutting our nukes back while our enemies build new ones, and cutting all new weapons programs. Those in the military now are too young to remember Carter. They will find out what it was like when it is too late.

20. ismah

ismah Member

Trappy, if you would check McCains voting record you'll understand why veterans are for Obama. McCain is not military friendly he was against the Webb amendment, he voted against improving health care for veterans. He is all for escalation but didn't show up to vote against a resolution to condemn it. There's more. I'm veteran and I'm for Obama.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.