1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Soldiers at the airport, they looked like babies

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by ysr_racer, Jul 5, 2013.

1. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Whenever I travel (which seems to be more and more lately) I always make it a point to approach any uniformed service member I see, extend my hand, thank them for their service, and tell them to keep up the good job.

Last weekend I was at Chicago O'Hare and met two young men, and I swear they looked like high school kids.

There's no question I'm a cranky old bastard, but my G-d, is that who we're sending into the meat grinder these days?

I think it's time to pull our troops out of Iraq/Afghanistan and let the a-holes that live there fight it out amongst themselves.

2. skeetfield

skeetfield Member

I was seventeen yrs old when I joined the USAF; eighteen when I left for Nam. I saw one of my old pictures the other day of me in Nam. I weighted 125 and a
    twenty eight inch waist. I looked like I was about twelve years old. I see the same guys racer is talking about and have flash backs. (where did the last fifty years go?)

3. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Me too Racer! They are all wide eyed and young looking. Heck, they ARE young! I was 18 as well when I went in, and I had no idea the world was such a BIG place, but was about to find out!

God bless our troops!

4. Tommy67

Tommy67 Member

ysr racer....We've got it all wrong. They should send old men like me and you to war, and leave the young ones to love life and their mommas.

Tom

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Next time we decide to go to war, every member of congress gets drafted and is sent to an infantry unit.

Phil Berkowitz

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

ysr,

I got my sons Marine Golf Company class photo in the mail the other day. As I scanned the photo for my boy, I couldn't help but think this exact same thing. A photo of a bunch of kids with their toughest face put on for the photo. I think back how young and dumb I was in my mid to late teens. I guess it's no different than when my Grandfathers fought it WWII and my Dad and Uncle left for Vietnam. Maybe it's different cause its my boy now. As he talks of heading off across the big waters I have that "take me instead" feeling.

7. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Not all eighteen year olds, good, God fearing, young men and women are ready physically and mentally to be warriors. Some fully develop and learn the ways of the world at a slower pace especially with liberal education systems in our public schools that punish 'warrior thoughts' instead of channeling. Sometimes I think old codgers would make better adversaries for our enemies were it not for their physical disabilities.

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Dig out your old pictures of Vietnam era friends. We were that young too. Back then we didn't realize that we were kids. And it was fat old politicians sending our generation to hambuger hill then too. How long has it been since we actually sent soldiers someplace to fight a war that we actually intended to win?

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Dig out your old pictures of Vietnam era friends. We were that young too. Back then we didn't realize that we were kids. And it was fat old politicians sending our generation to hambuger hill then too. How long has it been since we actually sent soldiers someplace to fight a war that we actually intended to win?

10. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I look back at pictures of me and my friends and think the same thing. We were Gulf War era and literally just kids but getting the job done. Hell our Gunny was younger than I am now and at the time he was God to us.

Was just talking to one of my Marine buddies last weekend about the same thing. He went to get his wife and drive her and his son from FL to CA along with all their stuff at age 20. No cell phone, no Internet just a map. Just did it.

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

The Army likes 'em young, before they've contemplated their own mortality too much. Hell when I returned wounded from Viet Nam in '68 I still wasn't old enuf' to have a legal drink in my home state of Montana.

12. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

On a plane flying into San Jose a couple Christmases ago when USAirways upgraded two bright, shiny eighteen year old young men into first class wearing uniforms and just out of MP school. Both going home for Christmas before being shipped to Iraq. I talked with one of them for a while about my memories of going home for Christmas in 1963 before being shipped to Japan for three years. He was courteous enough to listen and actually seemed interested in the ramblings of a long-ago "warrior".

As we got ready to land, I shook his hand, wished him a Merry Christmas and thanked him for his service. He accepted the Christmas wishes but shook off the thank you by saying "I haven't done anything yet". I gave that young man the lecture of his young life about what he had done and what the stakes were and I hope I made an impression.

As we landed, I noticed that his buddy wouldn't stop looking out the window. When he finally did turn his head, there were tears streaming down his shiny young face which he tried valiantly to hide. Brought back some very poignant memories of a flight from Memphis to Lancaster, Pennsylvania in late December, 1963.

Driving north on Interstate 5 later that night (Christmas Eve), I stopped at a Denny's for coffee and a snack. In the corner booth there were 4 local policemen in uniform talking over the affairs of the day. As I left to get back on the road, I made a point to approach them and thank them for their service as well as wish them a Merry Christmas. They're probably reminiscing every Christmas Eve since then about the crazy "old guy" in Denny's that night.

The Soldiers and the Police all looked like high-school Freshmen.

Mike Mann

13. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

"Soldiers at the airport, they looked like babies"

So Did we.

14. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Old men start wars, young men fight them!

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".

Van

15. avery53

avery53 Member

I was barely starting to shave when I was in. LOL 45 years ago seems like yesterday.

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I looked like I was about twelve when I arrived in Vietnam with 2/1 Marine Corps, I was eighteen, and thought I was tuff. When I left Vietnam I looked like a very skinny yellow skinned (malaria pills, I guess) nineteen year old. And felt like I was forty. Boys fight wars. Average age in Vietnam was "19." That's a boy to me, not a young man.

17. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

So why don't you include everybodies darlin', "pay any price, bear any burden ->John Kennedy in that line-up TM?

18. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I had just turned 17 when I went in the USAF, my recruiter said I would never get send to SEA, he lied, I was never technically in Viet Nam but rode in a bunch of Buffs and AC 130's over it

19. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

If we sent only older people, say those in their 30s and 40s to war there'd be far fewer wars I'd bet.

Guy B.

20. trench12

trench12 TS Member

I look the same now except for a bigger belly, less hair, different color hair, less ambition,bags under my eyes,blurred vision, poor hearing. Other than that same old me!! Many of the folks in my unit never got the chance to get old and cranky. Just call me lucky-- TG